Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:Then what the hell was the whole point of wasting time on this player, if that was the case??

I don't share the same view. Mack could have been got. 

I kind of a agree with the first bit. It was a waste of time, but time is one thing we have plenty of.

He could have been got with a deal that was so team unfriendly or so expensive, the Browns would be prepared to let one of their best players walk in his prime for no compensation. There is no other way around this, you are the only one who is disputing this very simple fact.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I kind of a agree with the first bit. It was a waste of time, but time is one thing we have plenty of.

He could have been got with a deal that was so team unfriendly or so expensive, the Browns would be prepared to let one of their best players walk in his prime for no compensation. There is no other way around this, you are the only one who is disputing this very simple fact.

It gave us great exposure as a team that is willing to pay for elite services..

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

[Image: 30hy39d.jpg]

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:[Image: 30hy39d.jpg]

lol, that looks like the fat guy that hated RJ from "No Retreat, No Surrender"....

Quote:Then what the hell was the whole point of wasting time on this player, if that was the case??

Because it only cost us a plane ticket, a hotel room, and a steak dinner.

There was no risk whatsoever for giving it your best shot.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Because it only cost us a plane ticket, a hotel room, and a steak dinner.

There was no risk whatsoever for giving it your best shot.

Yep. Ryan O laid it out nicely.

Jagwhyers gotta whyer...

Quote:Its like I said yesterday. The NFL is a results orientated business. You either succeed or fail. There is no "try". I think I'm quoting Yoda, but whatever......its true.  
First off, it's, "Do or do not. There is no try." Get your Star Wars quotes straight. That's only the most famous thing that Yoda ever said. Tongue

Quote:As for the very top level Unrestricted Free Agents, or the ones that can seemingly pick their next destination - we won't be any more attractive of a destination for them until we emerge as a team that is seen as a legit SB contender. Just merely making an offer to Mack isn't making any of those FA want to come here. 
Wrong. Making Mack an offer that will leave him as the highest-paid center in the history of the NFL is the type of move that, even if it is "merely making an offer", will resonate with players and agents looking for a new team next March.

Quote:Why would we still have failed? That would have been a contract that totaled upwards of 50 MIL over the life of it, and the extra 1-2 MIL per might have been enough of a deterrent combined with the other contract language, to make the Browns pass. The final contract we offered totaled 42 MIL, only slightly more than Kalil, Kelce. The contract I suggest was enough over the next closest that if the Browns matched, you simply tip your cap and say, congrats. Our offer really wasn't that high. People are quick to say we offered the highest C money in the league, but that alone, really is a claim that essentially falls after every successive FA period. Its not that a big a deal beating the previous highest by a couple $5 bills (figuratively) ...

Yeah, I know the rhetoric/ posturing coming from the Browns camp is that "the deal needed to be fully guaranteed 5 years for them to not match", but I don't buy that for a second. The Browns are merely using that platform as a flimsy attempt to discourage the rest of the league ( should the Browns transition another player down the line), from going after one of theirs in the future.... 
First off, get over yourself. If $42M didn't get it done, $47M sure as hell wouldn't have, and $52M probably wouldn't have either. Would it have to have been fully guaranteed? Maybe, maybe not, but given the amount of cap space the Browns have and given the amount of time they've spent this offseason acting like a bunch of monkeys humping a football, there was very little chance that the Jaguars were going to craft an offer that would have made them go back on their promise to match any offer to Mack. Even if the Browns are trying to posture, so what? The Browns can sit around all day thumping their chests about how they said they'd match any offer, and that's what they did. Doesn't mean that if they try to get away with a transition tag on Haden next year, some team won't throw a big offer sheet at him.

I don't share the same view. Mack could have been got. 
The point of "wasting time" on Mack is that Bradwell identified a player they wanted, and they flew him down to Jacksonville to craft an offer sheet that would have paid him what they perceived his value to be. It was an aggressive move on their part to do so, and it sends the message to next year's FAs that they Jaguars don't rely solely on the Gus-Aid to land free agents. Caldwell is willing to open the checkbook for top-tier talent, which is an attractive message to send.

Quote:First off, it's, "Do or do not. There is no try." Get your Star Wars quotes straight. That's only the most famous thing that Yoda ever said. Tongue

Wrong. Making Mack an offer that will leave him as the highest-paid center in the history of the NFL is the type of move that, even if it is "merely making an offer", will resonate with players and agents looking for a new team next March.

First off, get over yourself. If $42M didn't get it done, $47M sure as hell wouldn't have, and $52M probably wouldn't have either. Would it have to have been fully guaranteed? Maybe, maybe not, but given the amount of cap space the Browns have and given the amount of time they've spent this offseason acting like a bunch of monkeys humping a football, there was very little chance that the Jaguars were going to craft an offer that would have made them go back on their promise to match any offer to Mack. Even if the Browns are trying to posture, so what? The Browns can sit around all day thumping their chests about how they said they'd match any offer, and that's what they did. Doesn't mean that if they try to get away with a transition tag on Haden next year, some team won't throw a big offer sheet at him.

The point of "wasting time" on Mack is that Bradwell identified a player they wanted, and they flew him down to Jacksonville to craft an offer sheet that would have paid him what they perceived his value to be. It was an aggressive move on their part to do so, and it sends the message to next year's FAs that they Jaguars don't rely solely on the Gus-Aid to land free agents. Caldwell is willing to open the checkbook for top-tier talent, which is an attractive message to send.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:That's only the most famous thing that Yoda ever said. Tongue

No.

There is another.

For any and all suggesting the attempt to sign Mack was a waste of time and/or destined to fail, just remember;

1.  The Jaguars put together a more attractive offer than any other team in the league came forward with.

2.  Mack found the deal acceptable.and Cleveland was forced to pay the max to retain him.  

3.  Coldwell has proven the team is prepared to pay serious money for the right talent. This fact will not go unnoticed by other players          and agents and helps restore a little credibility to the franchise.  

4.  In two years Mack will likely be a FA at age 30 and probably still one of the better centers in the game.  Who do you think his first call        will be to? 

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2014, 10:37 PM by Dot.)

Quote:For any and all suggesting the attempt to sign Mack was a waste of time and/or destined to fail, just remember;

1.  The Jaguars put together a more attractive offer than any other team in the league came forward with.

2.  Mack found the deal acceptable.and Cleveland was forced to pay the max to retain him.  

3.  Coldwell has proven the team is prepared to pay serious money for the right talent. This fact will not go unnoticed by other players          and agents and helps restore a little credibility to the franchise.  

4.  In two years Mack will likely be a FA at age 30 and probably still one of the better centers in the game.  Who do you think his first call        will be to? 

As much as i wanted Mack, I sure hope we have a centre before the end of 2015.

"A lion never roars after the kill."

Quote:As much as i wanted Mack, I sure hope we have a centre before the end of 2015.
Me too, but if whoever we end up with is no better than average???  The only thing you know for certain in this league is that nothing is ever certain.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

did FBT make a post in this thread saying TMD would be upset if we didnt land Mack and he'd complain? then TMD refuted and said he wouldn't and now see above :no:

Quote:Was it even that long?   Lol
As I stated there was no way we were going to let Mack go. Thanks for saving us a couple of mil. Maybe we can do the same for the Jags sometime. Now all we have to do is hope the Jags take Manziel at 3 so we get Sammy Watkins. Keep up the good work and GO BROWNS!!

Quote:As I stated there was no way we were going to let Mack go. Thanks for saving us a couple of mil. Maybe we can do the same for the Jags sometime. Now all we have to do is hope the Jags take Manziel at 3 so we get Sammy Watkins. Keep up the good work and GO BROWNS!!

You're welcome, but the question remains, why did we have to do this for you?   What did we do that you could not have done yourself?  

If Indy had made an offer on Mack, Mad Dog would've raved about them and how their front office actually made an effort while the Jags FO did nothing as usual.
<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

Quote:did FBT make a post in this thread saying TMD would be upset if we didnt land Mack and he'd complain? then TMD refuted and said he wouldn't and now see above :no:

The diva is as predictable as the sun rising and setting each day.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

That sucks.. Rly hoped Cleveland wouldn't hold Mack hostage in that turd of a town but they did... I guess in the end, they get a probowl center and we keep a town that doesn't totally suck.... Only thing that place has ever done right is build a great golf wedge and have football team move away

Quote:Why would we still have failed? That would have been a contract that totaled upwards of 50 MIL over the life of it, and the extra 1-2 MIL per might have been enough of a deterrent combined with the other contract language, to make the Browns pass. The final contract we offered totaled 42 MIL, only slightly more than Kalil, Kelce. The contract I suggest was enough over the next closest that if the Browns matched, you simply tip your cap and say, congrats. Our offer really wasn't that high. People are quick to say we offered the highest C money in the league, but that alone, really is a claim that essentially falls after every successive FA period. Its not that a big a deal beating the previous highest by a couple $5 bills (figuratively) ...

Yeah, I know the rhetoric/ posturing coming from the Browns camp is that "the deal needed to be fully guaranteed 5 years for them to not match", but I don't buy that for a second. The Browns are merely using that platform as a flimsy attempt to discourage the rest of the league ( should the Browns transition another player down the line), from going after one of theirs in the future....

It is apparent that the Browns were going to sign him regardless. They took all but a few hours to do so. And 1 to 2 million more isn't guaranteeing the entire contract, not even close so even if they are posturing about that, it is obvious to anyone who doesn't have an agenda that the Browns would have signed him even if they did what you suggested. And that means in your eyes we would have failed. We couldn't win. It was a no win situation for you. This is why people question whether you are a Jag fan.

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2014, 12:24 PM by dawg66.)

Quote:You're welcome, but the question remains, why did we have to do this for you?   What did we do that you could not have done yourself?  

Browns fan here. I will try to answer that question for you.

Mack and his agents were in negotiations with the Browns who at the time consisted of former CEO Joe Banner and former GM Mike Lombardi and during negotiations those two were fired by Owner Jimmy Haslam and  were replaced by GM Ray Farmer. By the time Farmer was hired Mack was on vacation or something and when he returned it was just days before the start of Free Agency so Farmer, Haslam, Coach Pettine, and OC Kyle Shanahan all flew out to California and made him an offer but Mack and his agents opted instead to try their luck in Free Agency. The Browns then had 3 options, let Mack walk for nothing, Franchise tagging him which just would have prolonged this another year, or Transition tag him and match what ever offer he got, so their best option was to transition tag him. Mack knew he was gonna get paid anyway, whether it was the Browns or someone else, but by going through Free Agency he got the guaranteed money and the other clauses he wouldn't have gotten if he just signed with Browns to start with. As for Mack wanting out of Cleveland that was totally false, Mack was never quoted as saying anything about wanting out, that was just pure speculation on a reporters part. Mack was just looking for Financial stability whether it was with Cleveland or whoever.