Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL*** Baseball Thread 2014

Quote:Won't be raising it today
Another late game collapse, this time though it bit them. Got lucky the previous two nights.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

TRAV you keep dropping top ranked players. 

I mean it is your team, but damn man.  Charlie Blackmon and now Ramirez??????  Just curious as to why.  It makes me a little mad mostly because I make so many moves and I never have a waiver request high enough to get them. 

Quote:TRAV you keep dropping top ranked players. 

I mean it is your team, but damn man.  Charlie Blackmon and now Ramirez??????  Just curious as to why.  It makes me a little mad mostly because I make so many moves and I never have a waiver request high enough to get them. 

Both those players have had fast starts, but I don't think either start is sustainable for either player. Ramirez hasn't done [BLEEP] in the past week and a half, which might be suggesting a long overdue slow down to his normal numbers, which are nothing special....and Blackmon will probably be useful in home games, but notsomuch on the road during July/ Aug/ Sept.....you watch, 

The only player that Trav dropped that one can really question is his first drop. Encarnacion. 

I'm guessing that drop was made out of fear of the offseason wrist surgery. 

Method to my madness.

tied for 2nd for most wins. All is good.

;

Lol at anyone dropping EE or Blackmon in a 12 team league.

A player like Trav ruins the competitive balance of leagues. Encarnacion hit 35+ HRs and 100+ RBIs the past two seasons. He was a 1st round pick in fantasy this year that got off to a slow start. Just because Trav doesn't realize how baseball works, doesn't mean that one team should be gifted a 1st round pick and have an unfair advantage over the rest of the league.

Quote:A player like Trav ruins the competitive balance of leagues. Encarnacion hit 35+ HRs and 100+ RBIs the past two seasons. He was a 1st round pick in fantasy this year that got off to a slow start. Just because Trav doesn't realize how baseball works, doesn't mean that one team should be gifted a 1st round pick and have an unfair advantage over the rest of the league.

Give you two guesses on who got Encarnacion...

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014, 01:20 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:A player like Trav ruins the competitive balance of leagues. Encarnacion hit 35+ HRs and 100+ RBIs the past two seasons. He was a 1st round pick in fantasy this year that got off to a slow start. Just because Trav doesn't realize how baseball works, doesn't mean that one team should be gifted a 1st round pick and have an unfair advantage over the rest of the league.

Well you know what....it all balances out since that same team that got Encarnacion has lost its top THREE picks to injury (2 for the season, and one for most of the season) 

I've also lost like 5 other good players to DL stints, the most recent being Wil Myers who's now out for 2 months, minimum. (Chapman/ Robertson/ Belt/ Myers/ Pineda/....etc etc)

So, I'm not apologizing one bit for getting EE. I've not been able to have any "unfair" advantage so far given all of the other circumstances. 

Encarnocion hasn't been anything spectacular. Not horrible. But that fire has cooled, cooled very significantly.

;

TMD, you've had bad luck, for sure, but that isn't justification for him dropping EE. It's not your fault that EE was dropped and if you didn't add him someone else would. I'm saying that giving someone a 1st round pick for free is the kind of thing that, many times, makes one team unfairly good.

Quote:Encarnocion hasn't been anything spectacular. Not horrible. But that fire has cooled, cooled very significantly.

He is on pace to hit 35+ HRs and 100+ RBIs, again. His stats, to date, put him as one of the top 20 fantasy players in baseball. You gave him away for free. Good call.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014, 01:27 PM by The Mad Dog.)

LOL....

My top 5 picks in the draft...

Fernandez (done)

Fielder (done)

Harper (missed just about all of the season so far)

Chapman (missed the first month and a half) 

Myers (now out for 2+ months, maybe the season)

I mean....you gotta be kidding me... :woot:

Who drafts a closer in the top 4 rounds? The position is way to volatile to justify drafting a closer that high.

Quote:Who drafts a closer in the top 4 rounds? The position is way to volatile to justify drafting a closer that high.

12 team league, and the closers were already starting to go off the board. I always make sure I draft a top 3 type, if possible. So, sticking with that plan, taking Chapman there was necessary. 

Fair enough. That is a lot more reasonable that dropping a 35+ HR 100+ RBI hitter because of a slow start lol.

Quote:Fair enough. That is a lot more reasonable that dropping a 35+ HR 100+ RBI hitter because of a slow start lol.

Well Trav is in second place right now, IIRC, so....unorthodox & unpopular as his moves have been, we're really in no position to bash whats obviously working for him. 

He'd probably be in 1st place if he kept EE. I'd love to see his roster to see which players he felt had more potential to help him the rest of the season. Also, why not try to get someone to buy low on EE? EE did not have zero value. Dropping him was stupid, regardless of what place the team is in now.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014, 02:26 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:He is on pace to hit 35+ HRs and 100+ RBIs, again. His stats, to date, put him as one of the top 20 fantasy players in baseball. You gave him away for free. Good call.
That wasn't the argument, ever. He may be on pace for that, but will it happen? Look at the last 2-3 weeks. He isn't anywhere close to that. He got hit for a bit and has since cooled off, significantly.

;

Quote:Who drafts a closer in the top 4 rounds? The position is way to volatile to justify drafting a closer that high.

Quote:12 team league, and the closers were already starting to go off the board. I always make sure I draft a top 3 type, if possible. So, sticking with that plan, taking Chapman there was necessary. 
I was shocked at closers going early and often too. I waited, and waited through all of it and now that is where I really suffer stat wise. I am pretty good everywhere else though. I'd still rather be good or decent everywhere else then win that one save category every week, that is for sure.

;

Quote:That wasn't the argument, ever. He may be on pace for that, but will it happen? Look at the last 2-3 weeks. He isn't anywhere close to that. He got hit for a bit and has since cooled off, significantly.

Are you honestly trying to justify ropping EE? Even with his cold April and June, he still has still put up top 20 numbers and is on pace for 35+ and 100+. The dude was a 1st round pick for a reason.

You. Dropped. Him. For. Nothing.