Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL*** Baseball Thread 2014

Yep -- that one hurts.  That could have changed everything ...maybe Handley Ramirez stays .....or at worst Jose Reyes (acquired later) stays ....

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I love Adam Jones, so the trade was definitely lopsided. Tillman is far from a "top of the rotation starter", though. His 3.97 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, and 5.89 K/9 are pedestrian at best. Bedard was better than Tillman has been.

The Tigers giving up peanuts (most notably Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller) for Miguel Cabrera was more lopsided. Miggy has a Triple Crown, 2 AL MVPs, and 3 AL Batting Champion awards.

Tillman is 26, Bedard was 30 when we traded him. I honestly think that Tillman will be much better than Bedard.

(This post was last modified: 07-30-2014, 06:14 PM by TheSchmidt.)

Tillman is a 3/4 right now, his defense behind him makes him look better than he is. Like most of that rotation.

I'm not sure how Jones does it. He has never had a walk rate over 5% for a season but always puts up big offensive numbers. Its scary to think how good he would be if he had any plate discipline at all.

Quote:Tillman is 26, Bedard was 30 when we traded him. I honestly think that Tillman will be much better than Bedard.

Maybe he will be, but he isn't there yet. As it stands right now, Tillman is not a reliable front of the rotation guy. Using a 70 IP minimum, here is where Tillman ranks among Starting Pitchers:

ERA 82nd out of 131

WHIP 98th out of 131

K/9 110th out of 131

FIP 103rd out of 131

xFIP 124th out of 131

That does not scream "top of the rotation" guy to me.

And it's not like Bedard was a bum. The year before you guys traded him:

#1 overall in K/9 (10.93) compared to Tillman's 5.90.

#9 overall in ERA (3.16) compared to Tillman's 3.97.

#3 overall in WHIP (1.06) compared to Tillman's 1.35.

So yes, it was lopsided because Adam Jones is a perennial All-Star, but it has nothing to do with Tillman. Bedard > Tillman.

Quote:Maybe he will be, but he isn't there yet. As it stands right now, Tillman is not a reliable front of the rotation guy. Using a 70 IP minimum, here is where Tillman ranks among Starting Pitchers:

ERA 82nd out of 131

WHIP 98th out of 131

K/9 110th out of 131

FIP 103rd out of 131

xFIP 124th out of 131

That does not scream "top of the rotation" guy to me.

And it's not like Bedard was a bum. The year before you guys traded him:

#1 overall in K/9 (10.93) compared to Tillman's 5.90.

#9 overall in ERA (3.16) compared to Tillman's 3.97.

#3 overall in WHIP (1.06) compared to Tillman's 1.35.

So yes, it was lopsided because Adam Jones is a perennial All-Star, but it has nothing to do with Tillman. Bedard > Tillman.

I'm not arguing against the numbers. When it comes down to it we have already gotten more out of Tillman than Seattle got out of Bedard so I still factor Tillman into the equation.

Quote:Yep, I never understood  why Cabrera didn't net more than that. He was destined to be a stud. 

Detroit also got Dontrelle Willis pre-implosion. It was a classic selloff by the Marlins.

Willis was never good for Detroit. He was an absolute wreck. It didn't matter though, because Miggy's been the best hitter in baseball for the past 5 years.

Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes traded to Athletics from Red Sox for Yoenis Cespedes 

Gotta say, I didn't see that one coming.

Quote:Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes traded to Athletics from Red Sox for Yoenis Cespedes 

Same here.

Good deal for both teams if you ask me. The As going all in this year.

Quote:Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes traded to Athletics from Red Sox for Yoenis Cespedes 

Its a stupid trade (at least for this year) for Oakland...

They had a better chance of winning it all WITH Cespedes in that lineup than without. Their rotation was good enough as was with Gray/ Samardjzia/ and the rest. 

The Phillies tried this method with overloading the pitching and neglecting significant lineup defections such as Burrell and Werth and won squat with the great "rotation". 

Conversely, they won the world series in 2008, when the batting lineup was at its best & most deep. 

What a boneheaded mistake by the Pirates.  They actually allowed the Giants to get a double play on a walk !!   There were runners on 2nd and 3rd when the Pirate drew a walk.  The runner on 2nd thought the bases were loaded prior to the walk so he started heading to 3rd base.  The pitcher got the ball back fromt he catcher and trapped him in a run down.  After tagging him out, SF noticed they runner on 3rd make a break for home.  Yep, they got him out too.  They were winning 5-4 and ended up losing the game 7-5.   They would have had the bases loaded with 1 out.  Instead, SF got out of the inning on a walk !!!  [BLEEP] !!!

The Pirates, who had won three in a row, led 5-4 in the sixth when Chris Stewart drew a one-out walk with runners on second and third.

Machi (6-0) got the ball back from the catcher and noticed Travis Snider had left second base, apparently thinking it was a bases-loaded walk.

"Absolutely! It was 100 percent mental error on my part," Snider said. "Offensively, we could have made something happen. Honestly, I was thinking about getting to third base and if he walked I'd get to third. That's obviously not what you want to happen when you have first open. I take ownership for that mistake."

Machi threw to shortstop Brandon Crawford to trap Snider in a rundown. Crawford tagged Snider, then saw Gaby Sanchez stray off third and break for home.

Crawford threw to Machi, who tossed back to third baseman Pablo Sandoval to get Sanchez

Quote:What a boneheaded mistake by the Pirates.  They actually allowed the Giants to get a double play on a walk !!   There were runners on 2nd and 3rd when the Pirate drew a walk.  The runner on 2nd thought the bases were loaded prior to the walk so he started heading to 3rd base.  The pitcher got the ball back fromt he catcher and trapped him in a run down.  After tagging him out, SF noticed they runner on 3rd make a break for home.  Yep, they got him out too.  They were winning 5-4 and ended up losing the game 7-5.   They would have had the bases loaded with 1 out.  Instead, SF got out of the inning on a walk !!!  [BAD WORD REMOVED] !!!

The Pirates, who had won three in a row, led 5-4 in the sixth when Chris Stewart drew a one-out walk with runners on second and third.

Machi (6-0) got the ball back from the catcher and noticed Travis Snider had left second base, apparently thinking it was a bases-loaded walk.

"Absolutely! It was 100 percent mental error on my part," Snider said. "Offensively, we could have made something happen. Honestly, I was thinking about getting to third base and if he walked I'd get to third. That's obviously not what you want to happen when you have first open. I take ownership for that mistake."

Machi threw to shortstop Brandon Crawford to trap Snider in a rundown. Crawford tagged Snider, then saw Gaby Sanchez stray off third and break for home.

Crawford threw to Machi, who tossed back to third baseman Pablo Sandoval to get Sanchez
Yea, that was the game breaker, and sweep stopper for that series!

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Boston makin' trades today

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Brewers acquired Gerardo Parra for a couple minor leaguers. Two time Gold Glover should provide some great defense and improved hitting for us.

Quote:Its a stupid trade (at least for this year) for Oakland...

They had a better chance of winning it all WITH Cespedes in that lineup than without. Their rotation was good enough as was with Gray/ Samardjzia/ and the rest.

The Phillies tried this method with overloading the pitching and neglecting significant lineup defections such as Burrell and Werth and won squat with the great "rotation".

Conversely, they won the world series in 2008, when the batting lineup was at its best & most deep.
Yeah that Billy Beane is an idiot. What's he ever done to make anybody think he knows anything about being a GM?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Boston makin' trades today

I'm surprised Boston is acquiring all these OF's when they have a prized prospect in Mookie Betts in the minors that they were already having trouble finding PT for when recently called up. 

How/ why they aren't trying to UNLOAD OF's such as Victorino, is puzzling. 

Quote:Yeah that Billy Beane is an idiot. What's he ever done to make anybody think he knows anything about being a GM?

Not saying he's an idiot, and the trade might actually be good for them in the long term....but I don't think the trade helps their chances to win the whole thing this season. Contrarily I think it just diminished those chances. 

TMD: Do steroids only work in the 1st half of the season? VMart's power has cooled off quite a bit (predictably so), so do you still think he's juicing? Just asking for a friend.

Also, even with his power drought of late, he's still a lock to finish in the top 72 and win me that bet we made.

Quote:TMD: Do steroids only work in the 1st half of the season? VMart's power has cooled off quite a bit (predictably so), so do you still think he's juicing? Just asking for a friend.

Also, even with his power drought of late, he's still a lock to finish in the top 72 and win me that bet we made.

For awhile there you seemed to think V Mart's power was going to continue on pace. 

Had it, I would have absolutely assumed steroids. 

Quote:Not saying he's an idiot, and the trade might actually be good for them in the long term....but I don't think the trade helps their chances to win the whole thing this season. Contrarily I think it just diminished those chances.

Oddly, I'd trust him over you.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Oddly, I'd trust him over you.

I guess we'll see how Oakland fares from this point on for the rest of this season, huh, Sparky?...