Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL*** Baseball Thread 2014

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2014, 02:46 AM by TheSchmidt.)

Simmons is by far the best in the league.

Unless you just mean the AL

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Adam Jones just had one of the best plays I have ever seen.

Love the way that guy plays.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2014, 11:16 AM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:Simmons is by far the best in the league.

Unless you just mean the AL

Simmons is an absolutely elite defensive SS, but Jose Iglesias is better. They are easily the top 2 defensive shortstops in the league, but neither is "by far the best". I'm assuming you've never seen Jose Iglesias play? The guy is a magician. He has the quickest hands I've ever seen.

Here, enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hqGsceA1QU

There is a reason that Iglesias gets mentioned in the same sentence as Omar Vizquel.

Simmons is better, but it comes as no surprise that you would say a Detroit Tiger is better. 

http://youtu.be/stx_4PZrFqw

Quote:Polanco sent back to the minors today...lol
Your just mad because Polanco did nothing for your team this season. 

Quote:Your just mad because Polanco did nothing for your team this season. 

I have no idea what you're talking about.... :whistling: 

Quote:Your just mad because Polanco did nothing for your team this season. 
He did for the first month-month and a half or so.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2014, 11:58 AM by TheSchmidt.)

Quote:Simmons is an absolutely elite defensive SS, but Jose Iglesias is better. They are easily the top 2 defensive shortstops in the league, but neither is "by far the best". I'm assuming you've never seen Jose Iglesias play? The guy is a magician. He has the quickest hands I've ever seen.

Here, enjoy.

There is a reason that Iglesias gets mentioned in the same sentence as Omar Vizquel.
I've seen them both play. Iglesias is great, but Simmons is in a class of his own.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/is-andrelton-simmons-having-the-best-defensive-season-ever/'>http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/is-andrelton-simmons-having-the-best-defensive-season-ever/</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://sports.yahoo.com/news/braves-shortstop-andrelton-simmons-makes-case-for-having-best-fielding-season-ever-055634225.html'>http://sports.yahoo.com/news/braves-shortstop-andrelton-simmons-makes-case-for-having-best-fielding-season-ever-055634225.html</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10624873/andrelton-simmons-chance-surpass-ozzie-smith-best-defensive-shortstop-ever-mlb'>http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10624873/andrelton-simmons-chance-surpass-ozzie-smith-best-defensive-shortstop-ever-mlb</a>

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2014, 02:04 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:I've seen them both play. Iglesias is great, but Simmons is in a class of his own.

He isn't. It's Simmons and Iglesias and then everyone else.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/in-awe-of-jose-iglesias/

If I really wanted to start a battle in the comments, I’d pick the better defensive shortstop between Iglesias and Andrelton Simmons. I’m not actually going to do that, but I will point out a fact. We have UZR data going back to 2002, and since then, 142 shortstops have played at least 500 innings at the position. By UZR/150, it’s Simmons and Iglesias, then everyone else. Only Simmons and Iglesias come in over 20, standing as the best defensive shortstops by this measurement. Of course, they’re young, and young players make the best defenders. Eventually, both players will be worse. But right now, one has to wonder just how good a shortstop can really be. Both Simmons and Iglesias make us wonder if there’s such thing as a shortstop who’s 20 runs better than average. Both Simmons and Iglesias make us believe.

Given the big error bars around any defensive measurement, it’s impossible, between Simmons and Iglesias, to pick who’s better with a high degree of confidence. We don’t know and can’t know, and that’s part of what makes it such an enjoyable conversation, because there are no firm conclusions. Either one could be correct, meaning both has an argument. All we know for sure is the best defensive shortstop in baseball is one of these two. They can feel free to battle it out over the next several years. Monday, it was Iglesias who squeezed an out from the impossible. Now the ball’s in Simmons’ court, and he’s the only other guy capable of upping the ante. Not that Iglesias couldn’t up it right back. I don’t know how Jose Iglesias might ever top what he did, but there’s a lot I don’t get about wizards."

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2014, 02:52 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:Simmons is better, but it comes as no surprise that you would say a Detroit Tiger is better. 

See my above post.

"Given the big error bars around any defensive measurement, it’s impossible, between Simmons and Iglesias, to pick who’s better with a high degree of confidence"

Again, this is one of the most ridiculous defensive plays ever.

[Image: IglesiasPhegley.gif.opt_.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2014, 03:03 PM by TheSchmidt.)

Quote:He isn't. It's Simmons and Iglesias and then everyone else.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/in-awe-of-jose-iglesias/'>http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/in-awe-of-jose-iglesias/</a>

If I really wanted to start a battle in the comments, I’d pick the better defensive shortstop between Iglesias and Andrelton Simmons. I’m not actually going to do that, but I will point out a fact. We have UZR data going back to 2002, and since then, 142 shortstops have played at least 500 innings at the position. By UZR/150, it’s Simmons and Iglesias, then everyone else. Only Simmons and Iglesias come in over 20, standing as the best defensive shortstops by this measurement. Of course, they’re young, and young players make the best defenders. Eventually, both players will be worse. But right now, one has to wonder just how good a shortstop can really be. Both Simmons and Iglesias make us wonder if there’s such thing as a shortstop who’s 20 runs better than average. Both Simmons and Iglesias make us believe.

Given the big error bars around any defensive measurement, it’s impossible, between Simmons and Iglesias, to pick who’s better with a high degree of confidence. We don’t know and can’t know, and that’s part of what makes it such an enjoyable conversation, because there are no firm conclusions. Either one could be correct, meaning both has an argument. All we know for sure is the best defensive shortstop in baseball is one of these two. They can feel free to battle it out over the next several years. Monday, it was Iglesias who squeezed an out from the impossible. Now the ball’s in Simmons’ court, and he’s the only other guy capable of upping the ante. Not that Iglesias couldn’t up it right back. I don’t know how Jose Iglesias might ever top what he did, but there’s a lot I don’t get about wizards."
Same guy, two days later

The other day, Jose Iglesias did something amazing, and I wrote about it. I don’t think it’s the greatest defensive play by a shortstop I’ve ever seen, but a full write-up felt appropriate, given Iglesias’ reputation and given his importance to a contending Tigers team with the rest of the Tigers’ defensive infield. Eventually, it had to be noted that no matter how good we think Iglesias might be, there’s already an Andrelton Simmons. Iglesias, this year, has been a good shortstop for 318 innings. Simmons has been a good shortstop for more than a thousand. Iglesias is going to be hard-pressed to emerge as the best defensive shortstop in baseball, because Simmons pushes sensibility to the extremes, and with his 2013 in particular, we have to wonder: how does this stack up? Where does this season fit in all-time?

Yes, I read it. He is saying the Iglesias is joining the top tier that previously belonged to Simmons alone.

"Either one could be correct, meaning both has an argument. All we know for sure is the best defensive shortstop in baseball is one of these two"

Quote:What's baloney? I've been consistent with my opinion on Milwaukee throughout. I hate the team, but I think they are a .500 club. If the team plays .500 ball for the rest of the year, they will finish with 85 or 86 wins. With that many wins, they would be in the wildcard race up to the end of the season, so I don't consider that "Falling off".

:whistling:

I took a lot of heat for this earlier. The Brewers went through a rough stretch but it was foolish to think they were as bad as they were playing. They weren't as good as they started the season and weren't as bad as they were around the All Star break. The Brewers were lucky enough to have, essentially, a head start. This meant as long as they played .500 baseball (which is what kind of team they are), they would have enough of a cushion to still make the playoffs. That is not the definition of a team that "fell off".

That was my point before and it got drilled by Trav and Rico. Will either have the integrity to own up to it? I'd be surprised.

A Bucs win today would be big for the WC race.
;

Trav, have you EVER admitted you were wrong about anything?

Quote:Trav, have you EVER admitted you were wrong about anything?
What are you talking about, now?

;

Quote:What are you talking about, now?

You guys gave me so much crap for saying that the Brewers would play to their .500 capabilities and compete for a playoff spot down the stretch. Looks like that is exactly what they're doing, no?

Quote:Trav, have you EVER admitted you were wrong about anything?

It's funny that you of all people would ask anyone this question....

Quote:It's funny that you of all people would ask anyone this question....

I have no problem admitting things I've been wrong about. Look no further than this thread where I admitted to being wrong about J.D Martinez and Strasburg.

I don't see why others can't do the same.

Quote:You guys gave me so much crap for saying that the Brewers would play to their .500 capabilities and compete for a playoff spot down the stretch. Looks like that is exactly what they're doing, no?
No, you have it all wrong, still. I piggy backed off of what was said by RicoCabesa at the time. He was talking about Milwaukee pitching and them not sustaining throughout the season. I said that they were in a free fall mode already. At the time the simple statement was made they were in a complete tail spin. 100% fact. They were up what 10 games or more at one point? It's two now. Proof that they were in free fall mode.

I know I never argued the fact that they would, or would not still be in the playoff hint. I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone was saying that. Simply that they were not the team that started the season. Still aren't by the way.

;