Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL*** Baseball Thread 2014

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2014, 06:55 AM by PF*.)

Google /Conigliaro eye picture/ to see one of the worst- Tony C got hit in the eye on Aug 18,1967 by a fast ball from Jack Hamilton that he never saw. The hauntingly awful sound of it was recalled by many who were there.

The Red Sox were perennial doormats at the time but were making a miraculous run at the '67 pennant when Tony C was hit and knocked out for the season (I believe he is still the youngest player ever to 100 HRs) and the entire next season.

They pulled together to win that pennant but lost a hard fought World Series in seven games against the Cardinals. They have gotten a measure of revenge, though, by beating the Cards in both the 2004 and 2013 Series.

Good link to the story:

www.bostonspastime.com/tonycbeaning.html

Tony is buried in Malden, MA and his stone is always surrounded by baseball cards, baseballs  and various other pieces of Red Sox memorabilia/paraphernalia.   

Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I really need the Pirates to hold up against the Brewers. It's bad enough living by Packers fans... I don't want to hear them talk smack about Milwaukee, too.

Tigers only up 1 game with 6 to play. Trav, I'd much rather be in your position right now. Very solid play down the stretch.

Quote:Tigers only up 1 game with 6 to play. Trav, I'd much rather be in your position right now. Very solid play down the stretch.
Clutch the last few games I'd say. Big time D, and getting a run when needed. Couple 1-0 wins the last two games.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Clutch the last few games I'd say. Big time D, and getting a run when needed. Couple 1-0 wins the last two games.

I really need an Alex Wood win tonight to help me keep 1st place in my roto league. Please be okay with this. Thanks in advance.

Wonder where TMD has been. I miss his Strasburg updates.

Quote:Wonder where TMD has been. I miss his Strasburg updates.

I miss him telling me Victor Martinez wasn't a fantasy baseball steal.

Preseason ADP: 155th overall

31 HR, 81 R, 100 RBIs, .336 AVG, 3 SB.

Currently 6th overall on ESPN's player rater.

Not a steal? Come on, man.

Quote:I really need an Alex Wood win tonight to help me keep 1st place in my roto league. Please be okay with this. Thanks in advance.
Sorry bout your luck.

#RaiseIt !!!!
;

.... this one deserved its own thread for the night.

Quote:Marlins will win the WC.

Book it!
Looks like they're going to fall just short.

;

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2014, 03:27 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Trav, since you like to bump posts for some reason:

Will you finally admit that dropping Edwin Encarnacion was a bad move?  If you want me to eat crow on Gardner, you should man up and eat crow and your bad calls too.

Blackmon will finish the season as a top 10 OF.

Ramirez will finish the season as a top 5 SS.

Encarnacion will finish the season with 34+ HRs and 97+ RBIs.

You dropped them all receiving ZERO value back for any of that. Can you concede that you should have held on to them or gotten value for them?

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014, 10:28 AM by TravC59.)

Quote:Trav, since you like to bump posts for some reason:

Will you finally admit that dropping Edwin Encarnacion was a bad move?  If you want me to eat crow on Gardner, you should man up and eat crow and your bad calls too.

Blackmon will finish the season as a top 10 OF.

Ramirez will finish the season as a top 5 SS.

Encarnacion will finish the season with 34+ HRs and 97+ RBIs.

You dropped them all receiving ZERO value back for any of that. Can you concede that you should have held on to them or gotten value for them?
It was an ill timed move based on the off-season and the start to the season for him. Would have loved to have that production. I never said it wasn't a stupid move. My outfield is loaded, putting up big time numbers. Could've used Ramirez, but my numbers from SS have been good.

I still made the playoffs. Playing for 3/4 right now. Had I played the team that beat me last week in the semis this week I would be currently up 8-2. My team was absolute crap this week and the other team was phenomenal. How it goes. There's a strategy in the H2H that I have used for some time now. Pretty successful. It works. Nothing is perfect.

Edit: I will also not whine like a school girl if something is bumped, nor will I whine about "trolling", particularly when there is none going on.

/endthread. Did I do this right?

;

No strategy should involved dropping your 1st round pick for nothing, unless there is a season ending injury or suspension. You'd probably be playing for 1st/2nd if you kept Blackmon, EE, and Ramirez.

Quote:No strategy should involved dropping your 1st round pick for nothing, unless there is a season ending injury or suspension. You'd probably be playing for 1st/2nd if you kept Blackmon, EE, and Ramirez.
I didn't reveal any strategy. Where did I say that, or infer as much? Just said there was one.

There's a method to the madness and I started off saying that dropping EE was one I wished I had back. I was fine without Blackmon and Ramirez though from a numbers point. Switch them out with who I have had and the numbers total changes very little to none.

;

Quote:I didn't reveal any strategy. Where did I say that, or infer as much? Just said there was one.

There's a method to the madness and I started off saying that dropping EE was one I wished I had back. I was fine without Blackmon and Ramirez though from a numbers point. Switch them out with who I have had and the numbers total changes very little to none.

Who are your outfielders?

Who is your shortstop?

So you are finally admitting it was a bad move to drop your 1st round pick with an elite track record. That wasn't so hard was it?

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014, 01:12 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

ESPN 2014 Season Player Rater

SS Rankings

1. Dee Gordon

2. Jose Reyes

3. Ian Desmond

4. Alexei Ramirez

5. Alcides Escobard

6. Jimmy Rollins

7. Troy Tulowitzki

8. Hanley Ramirez

9. Danny Santana

10. Erick Aybar

OF Rankings

1. Mike Trout

2. Michael Brantley

3. Giancarlo Stanton

4. Jose Bautista

5. Andrew McCutchen

6. Nelson  Cruz

7. Charlie Blackmon

8. Jacoby Ellsbury

9. Ben Revere

10. Adam Jones

Hard to believe that neither Blackmon nor Ramirez could have helped your team. Harder to believe that you couldn't get decent value from them with a trade. Surely just dropping them wasn't the best route to go.

Quote:Who are your outfielders?

Who is your shortstop?

So you are finally admitting it was a bad move to drop your 1st round pick with an elite track record. That wasn't so hard was it?
You have reading comprehension problems. You need a third post where I say dropping EE wasn't right move?
;

Quote:Who are your outfielders?

Who is your shortstop?

You have reading comprehension problems. You need a third post where I say dropping EE wasn't right move?
;

Quote:ESPN 2014 Season Player Rater

SS Rankings

1. Dee Gordon

2. Jose Reyes

3. Ian Desmond

4. Alexei Ramirez

5. Alcides Escobard

6. Jimmy Rollins

7. Troy Tulowitzki

8. Hanley Ramirez

9. Danny Santana

10. Erick Aybar

OF Rankings

1. Mike Trout

2. Michael Brantley

3. Giancarlo Stanton

4. Jose Bautista

5. Andrew McCutchen

6. Nelson  Cruz

7. Charlie Blackmon

8. Jacoby Ellsbury

9. Ben Revere

10. Adam Jones

Hard to believe that neither Blackmon nor Ramirez could have helped your team. Harder to believe that you couldn't get decent value from them with a trade. Surely just dropping them wasn't the best route to go.

You are quickly approaching TMD status here.  Congrats!

Quote:You have reading comprehension problems. You need a third post where I say dropping EE wasn't right move?

Gotchya.

Who is your SS and who are your OFers?