Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(10-19-2020, 08:51 AM)RicoTx Wrote: If this isn't a sign of adulthood, I don't know what is.  

I'm really digging my new Kobalt compound miter saw and Dewalt table saw.

I've got both.  The Dewalt dual rack and pinion fence system is the smoothest thing on the market.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If you're ever at the urologist and he says he wants to do a cystoscopy...run...quickly.

Trust me.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(10-20-2020, 02:13 PM)RicoTx Wrote: If you're ever at the urologist and he says he wants to do a cystoscopy...run...quickly.

Trust me.

Oh man.

I had to google that......... YIKES!
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

Any verdict on the crop?

(10-21-2020, 08:35 PM)Jags Wrote: Any verdict on the crop?

Me? Wasn't pretty my friend. 

I'm still waiting for some details but I think in an already light year industry-wide I'm going to lose about 6% of my crop to the smoke God's. 

Not really sure where the problem occurred, which is driving me a little crazy.

(10-21-2020, 11:23 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 08:35 PM)Jags Wrote: Any verdict on the crop?

Me? Wasn't pretty my friend. 

I'm still waiting for some details but I think in an already light year industry-wide I'm going to lose about 6% of my crop to the smoke God's. 

That’s unfortunate.  I’m sorry to hear that.  I know guys like you and I have up and down years.  I’m sure it’s multiplied in your field.

(10-22-2020, 07:16 PM)Jags Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 11:23 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Me? Wasn't pretty my friend. 

That’s unfortunate.  I’m sorry to hear that.  I know guys like you and I have up and down years.  I’m sure it’s multiplied in your field.

Thank you. I knew the 3 week smoke delay would cause issues that I couldn't necessarily control so I try not to sweat it too much. It's all relative anyway. It's supposed to be a lighter year for grapes here to start with, so if we come in nationally under 220,000 tons, prices will probably rise a bit. 

I just won't know until maybe 2022 lol.

(10-23-2020, 02:35 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 07:16 PM)Jags Wrote: That’s unfortunate.  I’m sorry to hear that.  I know guys like you and I have up and down years.  I’m sure it’s multiplied in your field.

Thank you. I knew the 3 week smoke delay would cause issues that I couldn't necessarily control so I try not to sweat it too much. It's all relative anyway. It's supposed to be a lighter year for grapes here to start with, so if we come in nationally under 220,000 tons, prices will probably rise a bit. 

Damn, I haven’t fully kept up with this thread.   Didn’t know it would take that long to find out.  Hopefully no losses on your part.  Best of luck.  

Pardon my ignorance, but if prices rise I assume you mean for the buyers and so on and so forth for the consumer?   Trickling down.  Which in turn would be good for you as well?

(10-23-2020, 06:03 PM)Jags Wrote:
(10-23-2020, 02:35 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Thank you. I knew the 3 week smoke delay would cause issues that I couldn't necessarily control so I try not to sweat it too much. It's all relative anyway. It's supposed to be a lighter year for grapes here to start with, so if we come in nationally under 220,000 tons, prices will probably rise a bit. 

Damn, I haven’t fully kept up with this thread.   Didn’t know it would take that long to find out.  Hopefully no losses on your part.  Best of luck.  

Pardon my ignorance, but if prices rise I assume you mean for the buyers and so on and so forth for the consumer?   Trickling down.  Which in turn would be good for you as well?
Yeah the price the processors pay the growers. Not sure what it necessarily means on the consumer side. 

We've had an oversupply of raisins for quite a long time but we were projected to be right on balance before this harvest started, so pricing very well could change with the smoke situation. To give you an idea it's probably ranged from $1200-$2100 per ton over the last 10 years

On the individual level, the USDA grades your product. You have pass and fail and within pass you have a few levels of passing based on fruit maturity and the level of dryness, that will earn some pricing bonuses if you attain them. These bonuses are maybe $80 and $50 per ton

The former is way above my pay grade and the latter is near and dear to my heart but a much smaller component (as long as you pass) haha.

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2020, 07:29 PM by Jags.)

When you say 1200-2100/ton, how many acres of vineyard does it take to produce that kind of weight? I’m sure you’ve probably answered that over the years.  I just find what you do intriguing/fascinating.   Seems boom or bust.  I knew a farmer back in the day. Helped him bale a few times and my brother dated his daughter.  I was fascinated then by it all and the huge/expensive equipment.  I think people that do what you do are a different breed.  But in a good way.

(10-24-2020, 07:28 PM)Jags Wrote: When you say 1200-2100/ton, how many acres of vineyard does it take to produce that kind of weight? I’m sure you’ve probably answered that over the years.  I just find what you do intriguing/fascinating.   Seems boom or bust.  I knew a farmer back in the day. Helped him bale a few times and my brother dated his daughter.  I was fascinated then by it all and the huge/expensive equipment.  I think people that do what you do are a different breed.  But in a good way.

No worries, happy to discuss it. 

We aren't really a wine growing region, other than port, so most of the vineyards are planted to 40-90 year old Thompson Seedless vines. They can do bulk wine, juice concentrate, raisins, and champagne filler. Typically you either grow to make raisins, or you "go green" for a set price and the processor decides between the other options. 

Thompson's I think the state average is 2 tons of raisins per acre. Maybe a really really good Thompson field can get 3 but most decent ones sit around 2.5. but they'll basically produce like that forever.

But we also have new varieties on rootstock, and trellis designs that will net you upwards of 8 tons per acre with full mechanization so not only are you getting 4x the crop, your operating costs would be lower as well.

So there's a pretty large variance depending on how modern the field is and maybe how porous the soil is. 

Also, growing hay is like blindly throwing darts to me. Those guys are crazy.

(10-20-2020, 03:32 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 02:13 PM)RicoTx Wrote: If you're ever at the urologist and he says he wants to do a cystoscopy...run...quickly.

Trust me.

Oh man.

What a fiasco this has been since I had this [BLEEP] procedure on Tuesday.  I've been sick as a dog since Wednesday and the doctor's office has been so unresponsive I'm trying to find out where I should file a formal complaint.  I was so sick I had to go to and urgent care clinic on Saturday.

(10-26-2020, 10:37 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 03:32 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Oh man.

What a fiasco this has been since I had this [BLEEP] procedure on Tuesday.  I've been sick as a dog since Wednesday and the doctor's office has been so unresponsive I'm trying to find out where I should file a formal complaint.  I was so sick I had to go to and urgent care clinic on Saturday.

Sorry to hear that Rico, you know I'm no fan of any urologist office. Terrible experience!

(10-26-2020, 10:37 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 03:32 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Oh man.

Man, I hope you feel better soon.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-26-2020, 04:59 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 10:37 AM)RicoTx Wrote: What a fiasco this has been since I had this [BLEEP] procedure on Tuesday.  I've been sick as a dog since Wednesday and the doctor's office has been so unresponsive I'm trying to find out where I should file a formal complaint.  I was so sick I had to go to and urgent care clinic on Saturday.

Man, I hope you feel better soon.

So, continuing my story (and complaints)...

The major part of my issue with the doctor and his staff.  The doctor told me right off the bat there was a 10% chance of minor infection.  Fine.  So I start having issues on Wednesday.  I start calling them on Wednesday afternoon and can't get the [BLEEP] to return my call.  They finally call me on Thursday morning and I explain the issue.  Of course, they say they will get back to me.  So by the time they get back to me this [BLEEP] has obviously now gotten into my blood and I have a full blown bacterial infections and I...wait for it....I have a fever.  

So when they call me back they tell me the want me to come into the office for a urinalysis to see if they want to give me antibiotics.  I volunteer that I have a fever, because I know they are going to take my temp when I go in anyway.  So guess what...they're going to call me back again and tell me how they want me to handle it.  And now what, they don't call me back by end of day Thursday.

So now we're into Friday...day three of what should have been a minor infection treated with antibiotics.  They don't call me at all and it's now 11:00.  I c all them back, tell them I'm not in good shape and they need to do something.  They call me at 4:45...4:45!!  And tell me, you can't come in with a fever.  You'll have to go to a urgi-clinic or we can write you an order for a lab.  I'm like, this is antibiotics...we're not talking narcotics...why can't he just prescribe me antibiotics?  Oh no....he can't do that.

So now we get into Saturday, It's an effort just to walk around.  I break down and go to an urgi care clinic.  Guess what...big shocker...I have a UTI that has developed into a full blown bacterial infection.  Gee...I wonder why I had a fever.  So, finally, I get a script for antibiotics.  I go to the pharmacy, and it's closed for the day.   

I finally get to the pharmacy at 11:00 (when they open) to get my prescription filled on Sunday.  When I'm giving the guy my prescription, he says.  Oh, your urologist just called in a prescription about an hour ago.  I wish I could see the security footage to see the look on my face when he told that.  I told him I didn't want it, to fill the one that I gave him.  I went out of there muttering to myself and steaming.  Why the [BLEEP] wouldn't he call in the damn prescription on Wednesday without seeing me?  Why the hell did he suddenly do it on Sunday?  And no, I never gave the urgi center doctor his name.

So at least I now got my antibiotics.  

So today, at about 10:00, they call me and tell me that the doctor wants me to come in for a urinalysis because he wrote me a prescription on Sunday.  I [BLEEP] lost it.  I went off and recapped everything they did wrong and everything that I had been going through because of their incompetence.  Let's just say, I wasn't very business-like.

So now I'm waiting for the antibiotics to kick in so I feel somewhat human.  But I have some other side effects that I care not to discuss that had better be temporary or these clowns are going to have a lawsuit on their hands.  Not to mention the issue that I went in for is worse than it's ever been.  At the very least I'm going to find some official avenue to lodge a formal complaint against this doctor and his staff.  This whole thing absolutely never should have happened.

Wow...that was a lot.  I think that was my longest post ever.

/rant

Getting yanked around when you have acute medical problems is no joke. I'm assuming you'll be finding another doctor.

(10-26-2020, 06:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Getting yanked around when you have acute medical problems is no joke. I'm assuming you'll be finding another doctor.

Ya think?

(10-26-2020, 05:53 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 04:59 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Man, I hope you feel better soon.

So, continuing my story (and complaints)...

The major part of my issue with the doctor and his staff.  The doctor told me right off the bat there was a 10% chance of minor infection.  Fine.  So I start having issues on Wednesday.  I start calling them on Wednesday afternoon and can't get the [BLEEP] to return my call.  They finally call me on Thursday morning and I explain the issue.  Of course, they say they will get back to me.  So by the time they get back to me this [BLEEP] has obviously now gotten into my blood and I have a full blown bacterial infections and I...wait for it....I have a fever.  

So when they call me back they tell me the want me to come into the office for a urinalysis to see if they want to give me antibiotics.  I volunteer that I have a fever, because I know they are going to take my temp when I go in anyway.  So guess what...they're going to call me back again and tell me how they want me to handle it.  And now what, they don't call me back by end of day Thursday.

So now we're into Friday...day three of what should have been a minor infection treated with antibiotics.  They don't call me at all and it's now 11:00.  I c all them back, tell them I'm not in good shape and they need to do something.  They call me at 4:45...4:45!!  And tell me, you can't come in with a fever.  You'll have to go to a urgi-clinic or we can write you an order for a lab.  I'm like, this is antibiotics...we're not talking narcotics...why can't he just prescribe me antibiotics?  Oh no....he can't do that.

So now we get into Saturday, It's an effort just to walk around.  I break down and go to an urgi care clinic.  Guess what...big shocker...I have a UTI that has developed into a full blown bacterial infection.  Gee...I wonder why I had a fever.  So, finally, I get a script for antibiotics.  I go to the pharmacy, and it's closed for the day.   

I finally get to the pharmacy at 11:00 (when they open) to get my prescription filled on Sunday.  When I'm giving the guy my prescription, he says.  Oh, your urologist just called in a prescription about an hour ago.  I wish I could see the security footage to see the look on my face when he told that.  I told him I didn't want it, to fill the one that I gave him.  I went out of there muttering to myself and steaming.  Why the [BLEEP] wouldn't he call in the damn prescription on Wednesday without seeing me?  Why the hell did he suddenly do it on Sunday?  And no, I never gave the urgi center doctor his name.

So at least I now got my antibiotics.  

So today, at about 10:00, they call me and tell me that the doctor wants me to come in for a urinalysis because he wrote me a prescription on Sunday.  I [BLEEP] lost it.  I went off and recapped everything they did wrong and everything that I had been going through because of their incompetence.  Let's just say, I wasn't very business-like.

So now I'm waiting for the antibiotics to kick in so I feel somewhat human.  But I have some other side effects that I care not to discuss that had better be temporary or these clowns are going to have a lawsuit on their hands.  Not to mention the issue that I went in for is worse than it's ever been.  At the very least I'm going to find some official avenue to lodge a formal complaint against this doctor and his staff.  This whole thing absolutely never should have happened.

Wow...that was a lot.  I think that was my longest post ever.

/rant

That is straight up bull [BLEEP] right there (not you the doctor and his office).  I have had a UTI and can confirm that it's no joke and certainly no fun.  I hope you get well soon.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Man, that’s a lot to go through. I hope you feel better.

If you’re looking for a new doctor, I’m open to new clients. I don’t exactly have any medical background or schooling. It’s just something I’m trying to start part time. I can take a good “look see” up in there. I also can’t prescribe medicine or antibiotics. But I know a guy that can give you stuff to take your mind off it. A referral? Yeah, referrals. That’s what we call it.