Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2020, 10:34 AM by homebiscuit.)

(12-17-2020, 10:06 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 06:36 PM)Jags Wrote:   The image above will take care of any leaves, small rocks and even dog turds.  

The blower is great for leaves, but there's a better way to get rid of the dog turds.  Wait until they firm up in the cold weather, then get out there with your hockey stick.  Have fun launching them into your neighbor's yard while you're getting in practice on your wrist shot!

I’m thinking behind snow shovels, hockey sticks are the least possessed item in Florida.

However, I'm sure plenty of people have an old lob wedge they could use to perform the task.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-18-2020, 10:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 10:06 PM)Sneakers Wrote: The blower is great for leaves, but there's a better way to get rid of the dog turds.  Wait until they firm up in the cold weather, then get out there with your hockey stick.  Have fun launching them into your neighbor's yard while you're getting in practice on your wrist shot!

I’m thinking behind snow shovels, hockey sticks are the least possessed item in Florida.

However, I'm sure plenty of people have an old lob wedge they could use to perform the task.

You know there are two NHL teams in FL, including the current champs.  I think there might be more hockey sticks than you are assuming.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-18-2020, 10:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 10:06 PM)Sneakers Wrote: The blower is great for leaves, but there's a better way to get rid of the dog turds.  Wait until they firm up in the cold weather, then get out there with your hockey stick.  Have fun launching them into your neighbor's yard while you're getting in practice on your wrist shot!

You need a great deal of confidence in your short game to try it with a wedge.  Too much force and it may fragment on impact.  The same mistake on one that isn't thoroughly dried out can produce even more unpleasant results.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2020, 03:09 PM by Jags.)

You know, I saw two kids with hockey sticks last week.  I’d have to go way back to remember the time before that.  Up north we played all the time and in leagues.  I happen to a few sticks in the attic.  But I’ll have to wait to play until the turds are totally petrified because I have a white vinyl fence.

Ever since wiring up my new speakers I’ve been rediscovering music I haven’t heard in a long time. I had forgotten what superb instrumentalists Kansas are.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2020, 04:29 PM by RicoTx.)

(12-18-2020, 03:31 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Ever since wiring up my new speakers I’ve been rediscovering music I haven’t heard in a long time. I had forgotten what superb instrumentalists Kansas are.

At least one of those guys live out in Jax Beach...at least a couple of years go he did.  I don't believe he was an original member.  My wife and I flew back from Pittsburgh and sat next to him.

One of my favorite acoustic guitar pieces to listen to on a good set of speakers is Led Zeppelin's Going to California.

Edit:  OK, that was weird.  I just told you about that song and it's on the radio.

(12-18-2020, 11:10 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 10:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m thinking behind snow shovels, hockey sticks are the least possessed item in Florida.

You know there are two NHL teams in FL, including the current champs.  I think there might be more hockey sticks than you are assuming.

I live in the city of those champs, and yes, you're right.

I was working Monday and saw a red suv. License plate i saw on the road read “Jagfan 1”. It was in the wgv area. Is this any of you jokers? Or that “other” crowd?

This was at the corner of pacetti(16) and international Golf Pkwy. I was tempted to roll down my window and come up with some road rage [BLEEP].

(12-18-2020, 07:24 PM)Jags Wrote: I was working Monday and saw a red suv.  License plate i saw on the road read “Jagfan 1”.  It was in the wgv area.   Is this any of you jokers?  Or that “other” crowd?  

This was at the corner of pacetti(16) and international Golf Pkwy.  I was tempted to roll down my window and come up with some road rage [BLEEP].

Dude, the best (worst) I saw was a guy driving around with a BORTLES license plate down in the Palm Coast area.  Imagine being stuck with that tag.

At least my friend and I got a good chuckle out of it.

Butchered both my pigs this week had the bellies curing in the fridge all week got them on the smoker now getting ready for some home grown bacon tonight
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

My wife made me gingerbread men cookies this year for Christmas.. She made one of them "Anatomically Correct"..

I mean.. John Holmes, anatomically correct.. Never been jealous over a damn cookie until now..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2020, 05:32 PM by Jags.)

(12-19-2020, 09:20 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 07:24 PM)Jags Wrote: I was working Monday and saw a red suv.  License plate i saw on the road read “Jagfan 1”.  It was in the wgv area.   Is this any of you jokers?  Or that “other” crowd?  

This was at the corner of pacetti(16) and international Golf Pkwy.  I was tempted to roll down my window and come up with some road rage [BLEEP].

Dude, the best (worst) I saw was a guy driving around with a BORTLES license plate down in the Palm Coast area.  Imagine being stuck with that tag.

Oh dear, now THATS unfortunate!

(12-20-2020, 11:13 AM)EricC85 Wrote: Butchered both my pigs this week had the bellies curing in the fridge all week got them on the smoker now getting ready for some home grown bacon tonight

Sounds awesome.  When should we all come over? Also, I think someone asked earlier, maybe I didn’t see the reply.  How did you learn to clean it?

(12-20-2020, 05:30 PM)UJags Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 09:20 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Dude, the best (worst) I saw was a guy driving around with a BORTLES license plate down in the Palm Coast area.  Imagine being stuck with that tag.

Oh dear, now THATS unfortunate!

(12-20-2020, 11:13 AM)EricC85 Wrote: Butchered both my pigs this week had the bellies curing in the fridge all week got them on the smoker now getting ready for some home grown bacon tonight

Sounds awesome.  When should we all come over? Also, I think someone asked earlier, maybe I didn’t see the reply.  How did you learn to clean it?

You don’t have to really clean it once you butcher the game. I hose it down before skinning it but once it’s skinned I quarter the meat and then wash it under water again once inside. With bacon you have to cure the meat so I’ve had it sitting in a dry rub cure I read about mostly sugar salt pepper and pink salt. Then I rotate every day today it was day 4 so it as ready to cold smoke. Smoke with hickory chips to 150f inteneral temp then to my deli slicer. After that I let it cool a few hours and started frying like regular bacon it as really good. I’m gonna change a few things next cure/smoke see if I can draw some stronger applewood taste out of the meat. But it was really cool to raise butcher process cook and eat the entire thing from begging to end.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(12-20-2020, 05:10 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: My wife made me gingerbread men cookies this year for Christmas..  She made one of them "Anatomically Correct"..

I mean.. John Holmes, anatomically correct.. Never been jealous over a damn cookie until now..

Was it the size or because she nibbled on it?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2020, 07:45 AM by The Real Marty.)

Last night I went out in my front yard and got a good view of Jupiter and Saturn, which are right next to each other right now.  I could see them in spite of some clouds that were hanging around.  Binoculars help a lot, but you can actually see them with your naked eye.  Tonight is the night they will converge.  

https://weather.com/science/space/video/christmas-star-to-grace-night-sky-on-winter-solstice

(12-21-2020, 07:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Last night I went out in my front yard and got a good view of Jupiter and Saturn, which are right next to each other right now.  I could see them in spite of some clouds that were hanging around.  Binoculars help a lot, but you can actually see them with your naked eye.  Tonight is the night they will converge.  

[/url][url=https://weather.com/science/space/video/christmas-star-to-grace-night-sky-on-winter-solstice]https://weather.com/science/space/video/christmas-star-to-grace-night-sky-on-winter-solstice

I got some fairly good pictures through my telescope. The seeing wasn’t the best.
I really wish I had a good astrophotography rig. It can quickly become an expensive hobby.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2020, 08:42 AM by The Real Marty.)

(12-22-2020, 08:06 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 07:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Last night I went out in my front yard and got a good view of Jupiter and Saturn, which are right next to each other right now.  I could see them in spite of some clouds that were hanging around.  Binoculars help a lot, but you can actually see them with your naked eye.  Tonight is the night they will converge.  

[/url][url=https://weather.com/science/space/video/christmas-star-to-grace-night-sky-on-winter-solstice]https://weather.com/science/space/video/christmas-star-to-grace-night-sky-on-winter-solstice

I got some fairly good pictures through my telescope. The seeing wasn’t the best.
I really wish I had a good astrophotography rig. It can quickly become an expensive hobby.

Yes, indeed.  And I've bought so many things lately that turned out to be a waste of money.  Plus, I live in a neighborhood with a lot of ambient light, and too many trees.  I was lucky Jupiter and Saturn could be seen through a gap in some trees.  

I think if one wanted to do astronomy, the best thing would be to join an Astronomy club, that goes out to dark areas as a group.

(12-22-2020, 08:42 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 08:06 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I got some fairly good pictures through my telescope. The seeing wasn’t the best.

Yes, indeed.  And I've bought so many things lately that turned out to be a waste of money.  Plus, I live in a neighborhood with a lot of ambient light, and too many trees.  I was lucky Jupiter and Saturn could be seen through a gap in some trees.  

I think if one wanted to do astronomy, the best thing would be to join an Astronomy club, that goes out to dark areas as a group.

I work with a guy who is fairly active in the local astronomy club and encouraged me to join, but I'm not a joiner. I have books and all the plethora of online resources at hand. 

Florida is not ideal for viewing. It's flat with lots of trees, at sea level so most of the year the air has high moisture content and the bugs are murderous. This is the ideal time of year. Folks up north and out west have to bundle up while we only have to put on a jacket. However, because of the high humidity, unless heat tape or blankets are used, the equipment starts to dew up badly. By the time I folded it up last night around 8:00, everything was covered in droplets.

If you’re able to post the pics you took with the telescope, please do. My family and I saw some pics online of it. But with the wood line behind our house we saw Butkus.

(12-22-2020, 06:36 PM)Jags Wrote: If you’re able to post the pics you took with the telescope, please do.  My family and I saw some pics online of it.  But with the wood line behind our house we saw Butkus.

I used to know how to do that at one time. I think I forgot.