Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(05-24-2021, 05:19 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: My wife has been binge watching old '70's sitcoms.  She has been watching "Bewitched".  She now looks at me and wiggles her nose.  Sigh....

I still dream of Jeannie.. I know that's 60's, but she was a hottie..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

My nephew is officially a Marine. He made it through boot camp and the Crucible and his graduation is this Saturday. I honestly wasn't sure he would make it because he has never really taken the initiative to do anything. He's super laid back and chill so to join the most difficult branch of the service seemed to bite off more than he could chew. His plan is to work at an embassy overseas which is another lofty goal. The training, security clearance and background check is pretty intense from what I understand, though I'm not real clear on the specific job he would have.

I'm proud of that kid and am so glad he's found his place in the world.

Congrats to Him....... And you should be proud.......

I thank God for people that serve, have served, or willing to serve every day......
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(05-24-2021, 09:50 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Congrats to Him....... And you should be proud.......

I thank God for people that serve, have served, or willing to serve every day......

Thanks. It's almost inevitable that he would serve but I just didn't think he would. His mom (my sister) and our dad was Air Force, I was Army, my uncle and his father (my grandfather) were Navy and my maternal grandfather was Army Air Corps. 

I wanted to go Marine Corps but they didn't have a corpsman/medic job slot since they use Navy corpsman as their medics and I did not want to join the Navy for the possibility of being a corpsman and with a Marine unit. I wanted a guarantee and only the Army could give me one that I would be a medic.

(05-24-2021, 09:48 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: My nephew is officially a Marine. He made it through boot camp and the Crucible and his graduation is this Saturday. I honestly wasn't sure he would make it because he has never really taken the initiative to do anything. He's super laid back and chill so to join the most difficult branch of the service seemed to bite off more than he could chew. His plan is to work at an embassy overseas which is another lofty goal. The training, security clearance and background check is pretty intense from what I understand, though I'm not real clear on the specific job he would have.

My kid's older brother just went in the Marines about a month ago. I think he is on his 3rd week since his first 2 were in quarantine. I tried to convince him to go in to the Air Force but he felt the Marines were more patriotic or something silly like that, lol. Can't wait to see him when he gets out. He is a good kid and even has a fiancé waiting for him when he gets out.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I have a couple of family members with frog voice.. kinda funny actually lolol

(05-25-2021, 08:42 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-24-2021, 09:48 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: My nephew is officially a Marine. He made it through boot camp and the Crucible and his graduation is this Saturday. I honestly wasn't sure he would make it because he has never really taken the initiative to do anything. He's super laid back and chill so to join the most difficult branch of the service seemed to bite off more than he could chew. His plan is to work at an embassy overseas which is another lofty goal. The training, security clearance and background check is pretty intense from what I understand, though I'm not real clear on the specific job he would have.

My kid's older brother just went in the Marines about a month ago. I think he is on his 3rd week since his first 2 were in quarantine. I tried to convince him to go in to the Air Force but he felt the Marines were more patriotic or something silly like that, lol. Can't wait to see him when he gets out. He is a good kid and even has a fiancé waiting for him when he gets out.

My dad was so mad when I joined the Army. He wanted me to go AF and I was like, no it's too easy and I need a challenge. Lol.

Everyone has their reason(s) to join the military.  For me I wanted some kind of career, though I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do at the time (I was 23 years of age).  College wasn't for me and really wasn't an option (it's kind of ironic since I am the only one of my siblings that never went to college).

I talked with recruiters from all 4 branches and selected the Navy since it seemed to be the most interesting path.  The first couple of years weren't much since I spent a lot of time in training.  Once I got to my first active duty sea-going squadron that's when it changed.  I had learned a very valuable skill (electronics/computers) and got to see places that many people dream about.  I also got to experience "real life" since I was basically on my own with no family support.

More importantly I learned how to work with people from all walks of life to reach a common goal.

I've often said that the military is probably the best thing that I ever did with my life.  After getting discharged I was able to continue a career in a well paying profession that I truly enjoyed.  At this point I am rapidly approaching a point where I can retire "early" and enjoy time with my wife while we do what we enjoy doing.

It really doesn't matter what branch one joins.  None of them are any "harder or easier" than the others.  Once basic training is over with, it's pretty much a "job".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2021, 01:39 PM by RicoTx.)

At the cardiologist for a nuclear stress test, so I get some extra cardio on the treadmill this afternoon.  I've been having to go to the cardiologist for damn close to 30 years now for regular checkups.  Kinda have family history stacked against me no matter how hard I work to stay in shape.  Dad died from a heart attack at 54 and my mom had multiple heart issues.  

I'm sitting in the waiting room with a couple of people that have to be 400+ pounds.  I don't have a medical degree, but I can take a wild guess at a contributing factor to any heart issue they might have.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Dude, I hope all checked out for you. It sucks being healthy but having something serious in the family history that makes your butt pucker. My husband has similar issues with blood pressure. He has to check in with his doctor quarterly as well as keep track of his blood pressure daily. It's not really an issue as long as he stays low carb/keto and completely away from sugar.

(05-27-2021, 09:43 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Dude, I hope all checked out for you. It sucks being healthy but having something serious in the family history that makes your butt pucker. My husband has similar issues with blood pressure. He has to check in with his doctor quarterly as well as keep track of his blood pressure daily. It's not really an issue as long as he stays low carb/keto and completely away from sugar.

Thanks.  Everything went even better than expected.  I was honestly a little freaked out when he requested the test because it's not a 'normal' stress test.  But absolutely zero issues.  When he saw the chart he said that he had to go double-check that I had actually done 16 minutes on the treadmill with the tech.  I don't know if he was trying to make me feel good or not, but he said that's the longest he'd ever had anyone go on the treadmill (ay my age).  I would have gone farther if I didn't have to wear the damn mask, which I thought was ridiculous.  But, bottom line, while on the treadmill no deviations in the EKG and bloodflow was excellent.

(05-28-2021, 08:31 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-27-2021, 09:43 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Dude, I hope all checked out for you. It sucks being healthy but having something serious in the family history that makes your butt pucker. My husband has similar issues with blood pressure. He has to check in with his doctor quarterly as well as keep track of his blood pressure daily. It's not really an issue as long as he stays low carb/keto and completely away from sugar.

Thanks.  Everything went even better than expected.  I was honestly a little freaked out when he requested the test because it's not a 'normal' stress test.  But absolutely zero issues.  When he saw the chart he said that he had to go double-check that I had actually done 16 minutes on the treadmill with the tech.  I don't know if he was trying to make me feel good or not, but he said that's the longest he'd ever had anyone go on the treadmill (ay my age).  I would have gone farther if I didn't have to wear the damn mask, which I thought was ridiculous.  But, bottom line, while on the treadmill no deviations in the EKG and bloodflow was excellent.

Nice! 
Glad it went well.

Damn “tooth fairy” wanting another 5 bucks. Can I take my kid to the dentist and just give her dentures already?

Neighborhood block party. Pretty damn cool. Guy one block over has a group and doing free entertainment. Good time.

There is a house a neighborhood a few blocks over from ours that has been blasting 80s music the last two weekends. I don't mind a party, and last weekend it was good entertainment while I was doing yard work, but when I can hear Nobody's Fool by Cinderella in my living room over the AC running I have to draw the line. Apparently others did too because the sheriff came and shut them down- twice. I could hear it as if I was blasting it from my own yard.

[Image: mFp7NLRRhGmn3uggoLiDU4-320-80.jpg]

As stated in the article, this isn't a postcard from Arizona. 

NASA's Curiosity rover spots strange, colorful clouds on Mars | Space

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2021, 09:46 AM by RicoTx.)

(05-29-2021, 11:07 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: There is a house a neighborhood a few blocks over from ours that has been blasting 80s music the last two weekends. I don't mind a party, and last weekend it was good entertainment while I was doing yard work, but when I can hear Nobody's Fool by Cinderella in my living room over the AC running I have to draw the line. Apparently others did too because the sheriff came and shut them down- twice. I could hear it as if I was blasting it from my own yard.

There's a guy that lives two houses down in back of us that will have mariachi music blaring until late at night some Saturdays.  As if that isn't annoying enough, a few months ago he installed a halogen spotlight that is on all...the...time.

(05-28-2021, 08:30 PM)Jags Wrote: Damn “tooth fairy” wanting another 5 bucks.  Can I take my kid to the dentist and just give her dentures already?

FIVE BUCKS??? Dayum!  The tooth fairy has gotten a lot more generous that she used to be.

(05-30-2021, 10:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 08:30 PM)Jags Wrote: Damn “tooth fairy” wanting another 5 bucks.  Can I take my kid to the dentist and just give her dentures already?

FIVE BUCKS??? Dayum!  The tooth fairy has gotten a lot more generous that she used to be.

Inflation, dude..

(05-30-2021, 09:46 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-29-2021, 11:07 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: There is a house a neighborhood a few blocks over from ours that has been blasting 80s music the last two weekends. I don't mind a party, and last weekend it was good entertainment while I was doing yard work, but when I can hear Nobody's Fool by Cinderella in my living room over the AC running I have to draw the line. Apparently others did too because the sheriff came and shut them down- twice. I could hear it as if I was blasting it from my own yard.

There's a guy that lives two houses down in back of us that will have mariachi music blaring until late at night some Saturdays.  As if that isn't annoying enough, a few months ago he installed a halogen spotlight that is on all...the...time.

That kind of crap is why we bought a place where the nearest neighbors are yards/miles away through the woods.  The only thing we hear from our nearest neighbor are his cattle and gun shots when they do some shooting (we return the favor on occasion).  I set up a 200 yard shooting/skeet range in our "back yard".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.