Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(06-05-2021, 08:59 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 08:47 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: That's cool dude..  nothing like when your old lady likes the same stuff you do. My first wife, we were together almost 20 years too, she hated sports. It was like pullin teeth to watch a sox or a jags game. I got lucky the 2nd time around. We're planning a trip at some point, maybe later on towards october to go to fenway and get seats on the green monster.

That sounds like a great trip for the two of you.  I hope you can make it come to fruition.  Sadly, my wife hates sports.  So perhaps I’m in for a bad deal.  Maybe I’ll be the opposite.  I will die or we sadly get divorced and I’ll only have 3 years with a cool chick. That or y’all haven’t t got to the “unfun stage” either way, enjoy what you have when you have it.

Don't get me wrong, we have our ups and downs.. Been married for 3 years now, but been together for about 7 or 8 years. We've dealt with each others garbage, we're good. She stuck by me through the worst time in my life and hasn't bailed. I consider myself lucky..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-05-2021, 09:06 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 08:59 PM)Jags Wrote: That sounds like a great trip for the two of you.  I hope you can make it come to fruition.  Sadly, my wife hates sports.  So perhaps I’m in for a bad deal.  Maybe I’ll be the opposite.  I will die or we sadly get divorced and I’ll only have 3 years with a cool chick. That or y’all haven’t t got to the “unfun stage” either way, enjoy what you have when you have it.

Don't get me wrong, we have our ups and downs.. Been married for 3 years now, but been together for about 7 or 8 years. We've dealt with each others garbage, we're good. She stuck by me through the worst time in my life and hasn't bailed. I consider myself lucky..

Well, there you have it.  Mine too has been with me in my worst of times.  Even when she really shouldn’t have or need to be.  Or at least I wouldn’t blame her if she left. But those times  lead to where we are now.  Perhaps they’re Saints.  In the long run, I’d say it turned out great.

(06-05-2021, 08:10 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 02:16 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't know if I'm allergic or not.  I don't put it on an active burn pile while it's green.  Usually I pile up small trees, brush, etc. and wait for a couple of weeks to burn it.  Once the fire gets hot enough I pile on the bigger trees and stumps.  I did one today that is still burning.  I'll go back out there tomorrow and it should mostly be done.  I'll push what is left into a pile, throw another huge pile of smaller stuff on top of it and repeat (the "hot spot" will be very hot still in the morning.

As far as buying firewood, I have not sold any yet.  I've given a bunch away, some of it already seasoned.  If you want to run a chainsaw and a log splitter you are more than welcome to come and get as much as you want.  I have a little bit of Hickory left and a bunch of Oak that I need to get rid of.  It's a bit of a drive down to the Keystone Heights/Melrose area.

You’re about 50 minutes out then. I’m not sure I’m interested in the oak.  That’s plentiful enough.  I’ll pull a few logs from peoples yard waste and it can be readily bought.  I’ve got a decent amount of oak and pecan in a shed as of now.  Hickory eludes me. I’m not fond of buying the “chunks”. If you’re getting rid of it and are going to burn it otherwise, yeah, I’ll swing buy.  Are we talking trunks to where I need a trailer or larger rounds a pickup will do?

At the moment, pretty much everything that I'm burning/getting rid of right now is Oak.  I can let you know when we are bringing down another couple of Hickory trees.  The last bit of Hickory that I have that has been cut/split/seasoned is spoken for.

I (or you) can cut it up however you want it.  I can load logs onto a trailer with my skid steer or tractor.  We can also cut it down into rounds that could go into a truck.  I wouldn't want to load a truck with my machines out of fear of possible damage (this stuff is quite heavy).  If you want to spend the time and effort, I do have a hydraulic log splitter that you are welcome to use.  Loading the split wood onto a truck would be pretty much manual (I can lift bucket fulls up to the tailgate with my tractor, but I won't dump it into a truck).

Keep in mind, our "McMansion" that is being built is not done yet, so there is no real air conditioning out there other than the shade.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-05-2021, 08:21 PM)Jags Wrote: First off, I hope y’all made it home safely, secondly congratulations to her for putting up with your [BLEEP]!   I’m not completely ignorant, so same to you!  Congrats! How many years? I assume it’s been a few since you came home to watch baseball and not make little wingers.

You know you've found a keeper when she lets you do both at once.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 09:49 AM by RicoTx.)

Good grief.  More rain.  Flash flood warnings in effect until about noon.

Although it does look like the 'Texas summers' start this week.  From what I've been told, it should be between 95-105 until about football season.

Although they also told me that it doesn't snow out here.

Cry
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

https://youtu.be/evjMjpd4PNM

(06-07-2021, 09:49 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Good grief.  More rain.  Flash flood warnings in effect until about noon.

Although it does look like the 'Texas summers' start this week.  From what I've been told, it should be between 95-105 until about football season.

Although they also told me that it doesn't snow out here.

Cry

My BFF who lives in your area posted this recently…

[Image: 51-F4-B50-F-5-ADE-4262-95-D6-ABB97-BCD5229.jpg]
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

The lone winning Powerball ticket was bought about 3 miles from my house. $286M. I’m sure it’s a dear old friend of mine. We’re like peas and carrots. I can’t wait to meet him/her.

(06-07-2021, 11:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The lone winning Powerball ticket was bought about 3 miles from my house. $286M. I’m sure it’s a dear old friend of mine. We’re like peas and carrots. I can’t wait to meet him/her.

If your wife suddenly disappears you know who won…

(06-07-2021, 11:58 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 11:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The lone winning Powerball ticket was bought about 3 miles from my house. $286M. I’m sure it’s a dear old friend of mine. We’re like peas and carrots. I can’t wait to meet him/her.

If your wife suddenly disappears you know who won…

I might use that. It sounds much more believable than “I just felt like putting a new flower bed in my backyard at 2:00 AM.”   Ninja

(06-07-2021, 12:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 11:58 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: If your wife suddenly disappears you know who won…

I might use that. It sounds much more believable than “I just felt like putting a new flower bed in my backyard at 2:00 AM.”   Ninja

That took a dark turn quickly… Laughing

Anyone else here have a a Weber propane grill? Our craptastic old grill caught fire on Memorial Day so our plans to buy a new grill changed with that event. We knew we wanted propane but hubby wanted to buy a less expensive brand. I told him we have the money set aside for a quality brand so we should invest well. We use a grill at least once a week so he came around to my way of thinking when he realized I was right.  Big Grin  It was hard to go away from charcoal but our area sees too much temperature, humidity and dry season fluctuations to get consistent hearing and cooking, plus different types of charcoal burn inconsistently and it was getting annoying. 

So, how do you cook on your grill? He likes his steak t-bone thin cut and I prefer flat iron but will do sirloin and flank steak if I can't find flat iron. Thank God for our local cattle ranchers who sell at the farmer's market. They're a hair more expensive but dang if that steak doesn't taste awesome coming off the grill. We both like medium rare. We also cook up chicken thighs and tenders and Boars Head brats. I'm looking into trying shrimp and this salmon and asparagus on a plank that Fresh Market sells. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

(06-07-2021, 04:56 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Anyone else here have a a Weber propane grill? Our craptastic old grill caught fire on Memorial Day so our plans to buy a new grill changed with that event. We knew we wanted propane but hubby wanted to buy a less expensive brand. I told him we have the money set aside for a quality brand so we should invest well. We use a grill at least once a week so he came around to my way of thinking when he realized I was right.  Big Grin  It was hard to go away from charcoal but our area sees too much temperature, humidity and dry season fluctuations to get consistent hearing and cooking, plus different types of charcoal burn inconsistently and it was getting annoying. 

So, how do you cook on your grill? He likes his steak t-bone thin cut and I prefer flat iron but will do sirloin and flank steak if I can't find flat iron. Thank God for our local cattle ranchers who sell at the farmer's market. They're a hair more expensive but dang if that steak doesn't taste awesome coming off the grill. We both like medium rare. We also cook up chicken thighs and tenders and Boars Head brats. I'm looking into trying shrimp and this salmon and asparagus on a plank that Fresh Market sells. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Flat irons are great but they're so hard to find.. Even the local butcher in Fleming Island doesn't carry them. It's one of my favorite cuts too..

Medium rare  Banana
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 08:53 PM by Jags.)

Can’t help with propane.  I bought my father in law a Webber propane grill and have used that numerous times since I’m the “resident griller”. What they fail to understand is I am hard core charcoal or wood.  I personally don’t enjoy or like propane. That’s partially why I built him a fire pit, lol.  Now I can toss a grate over the coals and cook.

Strickland Propane Taste the meat, not the heat...... LOL
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(06-07-2021, 08:56 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Strickland Propane Taste the meat, not the heat...... LOL

I was wondering how long it would take for Strickland Propane to get brought into this

(06-07-2021, 08:53 PM)Jags Wrote: Can’t help with propane.  I bought my father in law a Webber propane grill and have used that numerous times since I’m the “resident griller”. What they fail to understand is I am hard core charcoal or wood.  I personally don’t enjoy or like propane. That’s partially why I built him a fire pit, lol.  Now I can toss a grate over the coals and cook.

Same here. I see little difference between cooking on a gas grill and a stovetop. You get some flavor from the charred fat, but nothing like a charcoal and wood sizzle. 

It is much more convenient, though.

————

Well, I’ll be having some more free time on my hands. Just started a new crew. Like the other time, I am the new crew until I build that up enough to not work alone. After this one I think I’ll sit back and just manage and pick up the loose ends. Today I ran around town. Returned a new trailer, bought a better one, went to DMV to register and tag it, outfitted it, bought the mowers last weekend. I did finally buy the truck a few weeks back. So now I’m solo again building it back up. And man does a weight feel like it’s been lifted off my shoulders. I’ve been in a better mood as well. It’s nice to “start over”. When you’re not doing much the “rush” is taken out of the day. Now I’m back into the “get clients mode”. Either way, I’m happier now. Less stress too. That counts for a lot

(06-07-2021, 09:08 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 08:53 PM)Jags Wrote: Can’t help with propane.  I bought my father in law a Webber propane grill and have used that numerous times since I’m the “resident griller”. What they fail to understand is I am hard core charcoal or wood.  I personally don’t enjoy or like propane. That’s partially why I built him a fire pit, lol.  Now I can toss a grate over the coals and cook.

Same here. I see little difference between cooking on a gas grill and a stovetop. You get some flavor from the charred fat, but nothing like a charcoal and wood sizzle. 

Convenient, yes.  But like you said, it is like using a covered burner outside. I feel wood and charcoal gives you a little extra flavor for one, but it also an activity.  You don’t just light the propane and wait 2-5 minutes and cook.  Enjoy it, light the wood or coals, take in the smells.  Let it burn down. I enjoy grilling, cooking too for that fact.  I don’t look at it as a “chore”. I look at it as a fun experience.  And it’s not just a weekend thing either!!! It’s liberating. Fire the darn thing up Monday night!

(06-07-2021, 09:16 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 09:08 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Same here. I see little difference between cooking on a gas grill and a stovetop. You get some flavor from the charred fat, but nothing like a charcoal and wood sizzle. 

Convenient, yes.  But like you said, it is like using a covered burner outside. I feel wood and charcoal gives you a little extra flavor for one, but it also an activity.  You don’t just light the propane and wait 2-5 minutes and cook.  Enjoy it, light the wood or coals, take in the smells.  Let it burn down. I enjoy grilling, cooking too for that fact.  I don’t look at it as a “chore”. I look at it as a fun experience.  And it’s not just a weekend thing either!!! It’s liberating. Fire the darn thing up Monday night!

We prefer charcoal but time is not on our side and is one reason we went propane. We grilled this afternoon before my husband went to work. That would not have been possible with the charcoal grill since we were limited on time. Plus it had to be done before it rained. The steak was actually really tasty.