Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(07-17-2021, 09:18 AM)Jags Wrote:
(07-17-2021, 07:59 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Are you uncertain that you have any?  Did your e-wife get them in the divorce?

Like a basket full of Easter eggs down there.  That’s normal right?

If you grew up in Chernobyl...........sure.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Damn, those were good carnitas.

The margs aren't bad either.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Tour de France spectators who crowd the road. What do they think they're accomplishing? My husband got me into watching this sport with him and it's interesting if you know what it's all about but those spectators grind my gears.

(07-17-2021, 07:10 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Tour de France spectators who crowd the road. What do they think they're accomplishing? My husband got me into watching this sport with him and it's interesting if you know what it's all about but those spectators grind my gears.

Like this idiot. She ran away but was arrested a few days after.

https://youtu.be/IscAGay8IsY

Every day there are idiot spectators but that one is pretty bad. These people stand in the road waving flags and signs causing accidents and other issues.

Earth's richest man Bezos to blast off into space (phys.org)

Good luck to all of them, but can they leave Bezos up there?

(07-19-2021, 04:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Earth's richest man Bezos to blast off into space (phys.org)

Here's hoping! And it's not that I'm wishing he would die. I just want future generations to be able to get his genius from his preserved body... 'cause he's totally on the same hemisphere of brilliance as say Elon Musk............

(07-19-2021, 04:26 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 04:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Earth's richest man Bezos to blast off into space (phys.org)

Here's hoping! And it's not that I'm wishing he would die. I just want future generations to be able to get his genius from his preserved body... 'cause he's totally on the same hemisphere of brilliance as say Elon Musk............

[Image: E6eo5j0VoAAdpI1?format=jpg&name=900x900]

Success. They did it.

Do we have to let these douchecanoes back on the planet after they willingly leave it?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(07-20-2021, 11:30 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Do we have to let these douchecanoes back on the planet after they willingly leave it?

Yes. The laws of gravity require it.

(07-20-2021, 11:44 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 11:30 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Do we have to let these douchecanoes back on the planet after they willingly leave it?

Yes. The laws of gravity require it.

Then they really aren’t doing a space flight then are they?  Ninja

[Image: 6-B166-F53-E66-E-4-B13-A4-F5-FAFDA07-FA7-BB.jpg]

(07-20-2021, 11:57 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 11:44 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Yes. The laws of gravity require it.

Then they really aren’t doing a space flight then are they?  Ninja

Did you know (just go ahead and roll your eyes now) that the pull of Earth's gravity at the International Space Station is only about 2.5% less than down here at the surface?

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1]

(07-20-2021, 08:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 11:57 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Then they really aren’t doing a space flight then are they?  Ninja

Did you know (just go ahead and roll your eyes now) that the pull of Earth's gravity at the International Space Station is only about 2.5% less than down here at the surface?

If you happen to fall off the space station, would you float out into space, or get sucked back down to earth?
Serious question, cuz I have no clue and I’m not a nerd. Laughing

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2021, 07:34 AM by homebiscuit.)

(07-20-2021, 10:04 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 08:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Did you know (just go ahead and roll your eyes now) that the pull of Earth's gravity at the International Space Station is only about 2.5% less than down here at the surface?

If you happen to fall off the space station, would you float out into space, or get sucked back down to earth?

Objects in orbit aren’t actually floating. They’re falling around the earth at orbital speed. In the case of low earth orbit and the mass of the space station, that’s about 17,500 MPH. The ISS is about 240 miles up.

The best analogy is an object at the end of a string and spun around a central point. The central point is the Earth, the string represents gravity and the object is an orbiting craft. As the object is spun faster, its orbital distance around the central point increases. As long as that momentum is maintained, the object is propelled outwards but remains tethered to the central point by the string (gravity), although gravity could be more accurately depicted as a rubber band. Once it begins to slow, the orbit of the object decreases. And so objects in Earth orbit behave on the same principle. If the ISS were to come to a sudden stop, it would plummet to the Earth like a rock at supersonic speeds before it encountered the atmosphere and burned up.

Even at the altitude the ISS is now, it’s orbit must be boosted on occasion because of orbital decay caused by gravity and drag from encounters with faint remnants of Earth’s atmosphere. 

(deep breath) So, to answer your question, if an astronaut were to become untethered from the ISS, they would ‘float’ until the forces mentioned earlier caused their orbit to decay and would burn up in the atmosphere. That process would take several weeks, if not months. They would long be dead before becoming a shooting star.

(07-21-2021, 07:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 10:04 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: If you happen to fall off the space station, would you float out into space, or get sucked back down to earth?

Objects in orbit aren’t actually floating. They’re falling around the earth at orbital speed. In the case of low earth orbit and the mass of the space station, that’s about 17,500 MPH. The ISS is about 240 miles up.

The best analogy is an object at the end of a string and spun around a central point. The central point is the Earth, the string represents gravity and the object is an orbiting craft. As the object is spun faster, its orbital distance around the central point increases. As long as that momentum is maintained, the object is propelled outwards but remains tethered to the central point by the string (gravity), although gravity could be more accurately depicted as a rubber band. Once it begins to slow, the orbit of the object decreases. And so objects in Earth orbit behave on the same principle. If the ISS were to come to a sudden stop, it would plummet to the Earth like a rock at supersonic speeds before it encountered the atmosphere and burned up.

Even at the altitude the ISS is now, it’s orbit must be boosted on occasion because of orbital decay caused by gravity and drag from encounters with faint remnants of Earth’s atmosphere. 

(deep breath) So, to answer your question, if an astronaut were to become untethered from the ISS, they would ‘float’ until the forces mentioned earlier caused their orbit to decay and would burn up in the atmosphere. That process would take several weeks, if not months. They would long be dead before becoming a shooting star.

Thank you!

[Image: 6-C4-D83-B1-CC7-D-4-C5-D-A2-BB-BA36-D6-D4097-B.jpg]

(07-21-2021, 07:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 10:04 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: If you happen to fall off the space station, would you float out into space, or get sucked back down to earth?

And I always thought that I was a geek.   Laughing

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Welp. My husband shared his germs with me and now I have a severe sinus infection. He doesn't know how to sneeze or cough into a Kleenex so he doesn't spray that junk everywhere. I should've issued a mask mandate so he'd contain that stuff. I haven't had a sinus infection since 2016 or so. Usually they've come from allergies but this is definitely viral. This sucks.

(This post was last modified: 07-23-2021, 08:56 PM by Jags.)

It’s super bad when you have a no call, no show and the whole crew is [BLEEP] this guy out since your understaffed and working another 11 hours on a Friday and you get relief that said guy calls in the evening and his alibi is that he was in jail.  That is bad to begin with.  I used to have nothing but good hardworking guys fresh from HS looking to earn money before they went on to do better things.  It has gotten to that point we now have a guy or two forced to work for probationary reasons.  Once the crew and I found out this guy was in jail, we all felt relieved.  That’s [BLEEP] sad.  And funny as well I suppose.  I mean, our job does get that wrap.  We’ll support this man the best we can, but I’ve been. More lenient with him than anyone else in the last 15.  I hope he gets his act together for himself, his family and well, I need him. I’ve got another prospect that seems really promising and “normal” with experience looking for extra money on his off days.  Works at a very reputable company nearby.  Therefore, should be drug/alcohol free.  Also sounded like the most normal person I’ve talked to in a while including family and high end clients. Hopefully he’ll pan out too and we can gain some sanity. I really don’t know how much of this I can handle, me or the other guys. I don’t want to be another one of those guys that sells because of the help aspect vs work load.