Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

Hey! I just received a resume! It’s so cute! It’s the smallest resume I’ve ever seen. Pretty much has his name, work history of one place of employment for 7 years and his education which was 2 years of HS back in 73…. 1. I don’t hire murderers. 2. I don’t want to be convicted of murder either after putting a 60 some odd year man through what we do. Slim pickings! Had a female apply the other day. My wife wasn’t happy about that. Despite seeing many females popping up in the field here lately. Had another guy apply but forgot he applied to a real business. Wanted cash payouts daily.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

After 15 years of doing my job, I thought I have seen everything. This has been a year of firsts. I’ve dealt with and seen things left and right I haven’t before in my career. But this last one takes the cake. I get a text from a lady in my subdivision. Telling me she got my number off the hood’s FB page and asking me if she has the right person. I reply back saying something of the sorts like “yes this is he, would you like an estimate?” Something like that. Well, I’ll be damned. She texted back saying she doesn’t have time for an estimate. What the actual [BLEEP]? Well, I suppose this works out great for the both of us. Because I really don’t have time to do your lawn. How do you not have time for something you’re not needed for? And why are you wasting such precious time to contact me?Yet you’re contacting me to do the lawn? I’m out! I’m not your guy.

(08-10-2021, 09:20 PM)Jags Wrote: After 15 years of doing my job, I thought I have seen everything.  This has been a year of firsts.  I’ve dealt with  and seen things left and right I haven’t before in my career.  But this last one takes the cake.  I get a text from a lady in my subdivision.  Telling me she got my number off the hood’s FB page and asking me if she has the right person.  I reply back saying something of the sorts like “yes this is he, would you like an estimate?” Something like that.  Well, I’ll be damned.  She texted back saying she doesn’t have time for an estimate. What the actual [BLEEP]?  Well, I suppose this works out great for the both of us. Because I really don’t have time to do your lawn.  How do you not have time for something you’re not needed for? And why are you wasting such precious time to contact me?Yet you’re contacting me to do the lawn?  I’m out!  I’m not your guy.

She good lookin? Maybe she wanted you to weed eat and fertilze..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Man, I love a fresh haircut.

If you've never seen how almonds get harvested, here is a shaker in action. 

https://twitter.com/jerrysrai/status/142...08805?s=19

(08-11-2021, 05:11 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: If you've never seen how almonds get harvested, here is a shaker in action. 

They got the idea from Disney.

About 25 or so years ago, I used to work for the city. There was a piece of property way back in the woods that the town purchased that we would have to maintain after a nasty storm. Normally it was me who drove the backhoe down the street to this property, we would have to dig into this small pond and remove debris from this outlet that led into a lake at the back of the property.. They had this big ole pecan tree back there, and depending on who was with me, and if they were ripe, I would just take the bucket of the backhoe and smack the tree a few times.. We'd come home with bags of pecans..

(08-11-2021, 06:02 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: About 25 or so years ago, I used to work for the city. There was a piece of property way back in the woods that the town purchased that we would have to maintain after a nasty storm. Normally it was me who drove the backhoe down the street to this property, we would have to dig into this small pond and remove debris from this outlet that led into a lake at the back of the property.. They had this big ole pecan tree back there, and depending on who was with me, and if they were ripe, I would just take the bucket of the backhoe and smack the tree a few times.. We'd come home with bags of pecans..

https://www.hammermuseum.org/hammer-high...ee-knocker

When I was a kid, we used to lay down a tarp and a dozen guys would go nuts with these things. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy different lol.

(08-11-2021, 05:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 05:11 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: If you've never seen how almonds get harvested, here is a shaker in action. 

They got the idea from Disney.

Right over my head.

(08-11-2021, 06:20 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 06:02 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: About 25 or so years ago, I used to work for the city. There was a piece of property way back in the woods that the town purchased that we would have to maintain after a nasty storm. Normally it was me who drove the backhoe down the street to this property, we would have to dig into this small pond and remove debris from this outlet that led into a lake at the back of the property.. They had this big ole pecan tree back there, and depending on who was with me, and if they were ripe, I would just take the bucket of the backhoe and smack the tree a few times.. We'd come home with bags of pecans..

When I was a kid, we used to lay down a tarp and a dozen guys would go nuts with these things. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy different lol.

(08-11-2021, 05:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: They got the idea from Disney.

Right over my head.

That prolly doesn't hurt the tree either lolol

(08-11-2021, 06:20 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:

(08-11-2021, 05:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: They got the idea from Disney.

Right over my head.

Park-goer money harvester.

It sounded funnier in my head.

When I was a kid back home in New Mexico we would go to the mountains, spread out some old bed sheets and shake the pine trees for pine nuts.  Those things were sure good once roasted.  Better than sunflower seeds.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2021, 07:50 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

I’ve actually seen on tv people shaking the hell ought of trees to harvest nuts. That was many years ago.  It’s what gave me the awesome idea of bumping a small dew  soaked tree, or if it had recently rained or been watered, with my mower while a guy was weed whacking around it.  You’d think working in the heat people wouldn’t mind a shower.  But no.  It’s cold as hell.  And you’d be surprised just how wet a guy can get from that. I laugh every time.  That is only if I feel like taking one for the team since I too get soaked in the process. Sometimes you’ve gotta mess with the guys to keep moral up.

(08-11-2021, 07:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

When I was a kid back home in New Mexico we would go to the mountains, spread out some old bed sheets and shake the pine trees for pine nuts.  Those things were sure good once roasted.  Better than sunflower seeds.

Those things are awesome. We usually pick up a bag of them here and there, but I bet they're much better when they're fresh like that.

Okay, that’s kinda cool. How do they pick up the nuts? A large vacuum?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(08-11-2021, 10:43 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:

Okay, that’s kinda cool. How do they pick up the nuts? A large vacuum?

A second machine comes through with a big sweeper on the front and sweeps them into a pile about a foot wide in the middle of the row. Then another machine drives over that pile, picks it up, and dumps it into a cart. 

Sounds like a lot but like 4 people can harvest a few thousand acres like that. 

Now they also have harvesters that never let the nut touch the ground as well. That will be the future.

(08-11-2021, 11:19 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 10:43 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Okay, that’s kinda cool. How do they pick up the nuts? A large vacuum?

A second machine comes through with a big sweeper on the front and sweeps them into a pile about a foot wide in the middle of the row. Then another machine drives over that pile, picks it up, and dumps it into a cart. 

Now they also have harvesters that never let the nut touch the ground as well. That will be the future.

I like to try to avoid my nuts touching the ground as well.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-12-2021, 08:04 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 11:19 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: A second machine comes through with a big sweeper on the front and sweeps them into a pile about a foot wide in the middle of the row. Then another machine drives over that pile, picks it up, and dumps it into a cart. 

I like to try to avoid my nuts touching the ground as well.

You’re pretty tall though, that shouldn’t be a problem for you.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Anyone ever try Bite a Bagel in St Augustine, down the street from Orangedale?

My god is that place good. Their bagels are outstanding and their sandwiches are even better.. Got a pattymelt smothered in onions and melted swiss on an everything bagel.

The only downfall to the place is that they close so early.. If you're around that area, you gotta try it. Prices are really good too..

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2021, 07:40 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-12-2021, 11:17 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Anyone ever try Bite a Bagel in St Augustine, down the street from Orangedale?

My god is that place good. Their bagels are outstanding and their sandwiches are even better.. Got a pattymelt smothered in onions and melted swiss on an everything bagel.

The only downfall to the place is that they close so early.. If you're around that area, you gotta try it. Prices are really good too..

I haven’t been, but man have I heard a lot of people talk it up.  That place and Woodpeckers bbq.  I still haven’t even seen damn Bucky yet!

They don’t let me out much, haha