Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

Woke up to 60° and three hours later it's 40 and feels like 32°. We reached our high of 65° sometime before 0600hrs. It's so weird how weather happens.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-29-2021, 09:38 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: My brother and sister in law used to give us all gift wrapped photos of them every year for Christmas. They gave them to everyone on this side of the family, meanwhile telling us about all the great gifts they gave her family. I would spend time and money picking out the perfect gifts for them and I got tired of it. One year I took my son to see Santa and had his pic made. Reused one of the cheap dollar store frames they had given us and wrapped it up as their Christmas gift that year. You know, we never got another gift wrapped picture of them again.  Big Grin

Stop spending time and effort on people not willing to do it for you.

This needs to be framed and distributed globally.

SiL has basically ghosted the entire fambly. When I got to addressing the few xmas cards we send, I didn't bother sending them one, as they've relocated a few times and I don't trust the address we have. Wifey yelled at me about it, but hasn't put one in the mail either, that I can tell.

Wifey blew probably $150 on xmas gifts for a friend(ish) that only tends to call when a favor is needed. Basically the call was "here's our wishlists (nothing under $50, mind you), please send us something so that we can send you stuff. In the end, the other person shipped gifts for the kids (and us, maybe? I got lost in the fog of unwrappings) to our house, unwrapped, and wifey ordered everything shipped here. So, we had to wrap both batches of gifts, and the exchange was little more than the friend stopping by to pick up their crap. My suggestion to hand her the box of unwrapped items (as we received) didn't go over well, and I couldn't imagine how suggesting a response of "how bout neither of us buy stuff for each other since we aren't actually hanging out or doing what friends actually do" would have fared.

I'm done with takers.

(01-03-2022, 01:01 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 09:38 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: My brother and sister in law used to give us all gift wrapped photos of them every year for Christmas. They gave them to everyone on this side of the family, meanwhile telling us about all the great gifts they gave her family. I would spend time and money picking out the perfect gifts for them and I got tired of it. One year I took my son to see Santa and had his pic made. Reused one of the cheap dollar store frames they had given us and wrapped it up as their Christmas gift that year. You know, we never got another gift wrapped picture of them again.  Big Grin

Stop spending time and effort on people not willing to do it for you.

This needs to be framed and distributed globally.

SiL has basically ghosted the entire fambly. When I got to addressing the few xmas cards we send, I didn't bother sending them one, as they've relocated a few times and I don't trust the address we have. Wifey yelled at me about it, but hasn't put one in the mail either, that I can tell.

Wifey blew probably $150 on xmas gifts for a friend(ish) that only tends to call when a favor is needed. Basically the call was "here's our wishlists (nothing under $50, mind you), please send us something so that we can send you stuff. In the end, the other person shipped gifts for the kids (and us, maybe? I got lost in the fog of unwrappings) to our house, unwrapped, and wifey ordered everything shipped here. So, we had to wrap both batches of gifts, and the exchange was little more than the friend stopping by to pick up their crap. My suggestion to hand her the box of unwrapped items (as we received) didn't go over well, and I couldn't imagine how suggesting a response of "how bout neither of us buy stuff for each other since we aren't actually hanging out or doing what friends actually do" would have fared.

I'm done with takers.

People actually buy gifts like that for other adults? I can see giving a little something personal or meaningful if you’re invited to a party, or just because, but to have “friends” give you a gift list? Unless there was a fire and they lost everything, those friends are on their own! 
I’m not down with gift grabs and the people behind them.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(01-03-2022, 01:53 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 01:01 PM)Mikey Wrote: This needs to be framed and distributed globally.

I'm done with takers.

People actually buy gifts like that for other adults? I can see giving a little something personal or meaningful if you’re invited to a party, or just because, but to have “friends” give you a gift list? Unless there was a fire and they lost everything, those friends are on their own! 

This is actually kind of a "trivial annoyance" and could go into the other thread.  We have friends that we exchange gifts with, but more because we want to and NEVER has a "wish list" been exchanged.  Granted (not that it matters) it's usually something like a bottle of wine or some kind of food that we all might share or something like that.

I have some friends help me throughout the year, especially when it comes to cutting down trees.  Now when we cut a few trees down I usually like to immediately cut them into logs, split them and stack them to season.  Most of it is either Hickory or Oak wood.  Doing the whole process (cut into logs, split and stack) takes some effort and when my friends help out we always provide food and beverages.  However, a couple of friends always "have something to do" or "have an aching back" whenever we have a "tree cutting party".

This year we have/had a lot of firewood ready to go.  I gave plenty to the friends the helped me.  One friend in particular that always had "something to do" or a "sore back" keeps hinting about how he has to buy firewood from the box stores.  I just respond that I'm glad that I don't have to do that and we have plenty.

It just irks me that people that know how much time and effort goes into producing the firewood that we have kind of "expect" me to just give it away.  I don't mind sharing with people that helped us and I have given a bunch to people in need, but I refuse to "give" it to able bodied people that couldn't take a few hours out of their time and put some effort into producing it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2022, 06:44 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

Today was a heck of a day at the office.  To start, my truck looked like poo from the detailing I never bothered to swap my truck with a work truck I have at my parents house.  Right off the bat, one guy says we need trimmer line edger blades etc.  ok, fine, let’s run my and grab it.  Not a big deal.  First stop today is a 5 lawn stop.  A new-ish guy breaks the irrigation back flow at a house while edging somehow. Was broke in between the house and main line so we had to shut water off by street.  I notify the homeowner, apologize for the inconvenience and tell them I’ll credit their invoice for the hassle.  I send a guy out to Ace to get pvc, couplings, pvc glue and pvc cutters.  Stuff I have in my work truck.  Me and new guy stay back to complete the lawns.  I joking tell him “don’t break anything” I’m mowing and I see this guy with his hands on his head and weed eater on ground from a house away.  I give a thumbs up as a question.  He shakes his head. He hit the neighbors back flow with the weed eater.  And broke that too. To make matters worse, the side yards these were located faced each other.    My other guy comes back and heads straight back out to get more couplings.  Luckily these two clients are long term clients.  One, I’ve mowed for for probably a decade and was cool.  Horrible look for us.  But later that day we were able to laugh it off.

A Pot of Gold at the end of a Rainbow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: beerstore.jpg]
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

One for the Darwin awards:

Dramatic video shows NYC man fatally breaking neck attempting to jump turnstile

https://nypost.com/2022/01/03/nyc-man-ju...eck-video/

Woman orders Covid test but receives a hilarious substitute instead. I can see how one could be mistaken for the other. Lol.

Link

(01-03-2022, 01:53 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 01:01 PM)Mikey Wrote: This needs to be framed and distributed globally.

I'm done with takers.

I'm more apt to exchange some baking and my homemade nog with the adults whose company I enjoy, or donate to a charity they support if you want to do something they'll appreciate. Not a big fan of "stuff" exchanges among the adults. Wifey doesn't have the [BLEEP] gene in her DNA to tell people like this to pound sand when they come asking.

Me? I got that gene in spades.

(01-03-2022, 06:42 PM)Jags Wrote: Today was a heck of a day at the office.  To start, my truck looked like poo from the detailing I never bothered to swap my truck with a work truck I have at my parents house.  Right off the bat, one guy says we need trimmer line edger blades etc.  ok, fine, let’s run my and grab it.  Not a big deal.  First stop today is a 5 lawn stop.  A new-ish guy breaks the irrigation back flow at a house while edging somehow. Was broke in between the house and main line so we had to shut water off by street.  I notify the homeowner, apologize for the inconvenience and tell them I’ll credit their invoice for the hassle.  I send a guy out to Ace to get pvc, couplings, pvc glue and pvc cutters.  Stuff I have in my work truck.  Me and new guy stay back to complete the lawns.  I joking tell him “don’t break anything” I’m mowing and I see this guy with his hands on his head and weed eater on ground from a house away.  I give a thumbs up as a question.  He shakes his head. He hit the neighbors back flow with the weed eater.  And broke that too. To make matters worse, the side yards these were located faced each other.    My other guy comes back and heads straight back out to get more couplings.  Luckily these two clients are long term clients.  One, I’ve mowed for for probably a decade and was cool.  Horrible look for us.  But later that day we were able to laugh it off.

Good news, with the impromptu irrigation, the clients will probably need another trim sooner than later.

(01-04-2022, 11:24 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 06:42 PM)Jags Wrote: Today was a heck of a day at the office.  To start, my truck looked like poo from the detailing I never bothered to swap my truck with a work truck I have at my parents house.  Right off the bat, one guy says we need trimmer line edger blades etc.  ok, fine, let’s run my and grab it.  Not a big deal.  First stop today is a 5 lawn stop.  A new-ish guy breaks the irrigation back flow at a house while edging somehow. Was broke in between the house and main line so we had to shut water off by street.  I notify the homeowner, apologize for the inconvenience and tell them I’ll credit their invoice for the hassle.  I send a guy out to Ace to get pvc, couplings, pvc glue and pvc cutters.  Stuff I have in my work truck.  Me and new guy stay back to complete the lawns.  I joking tell him “don’t break anything” I’m mowing and I see this guy with his hands on his head and weed eater on ground from a house away.  I give a thumbs up as a question.  He shakes his head. He hit the neighbors back flow with the weed eater.  And broke that too. To make matters worse, the side yards these were located faced each other.    My other guy comes back and heads straight back out to get more couplings.  Luckily these two clients are long term clients.  One, I’ve mowed for for probably a decade and was cool.  Horrible look for us.  But later that day we were able to laugh it off.

Good news, with the impromptu irrigation, the clients will probably need another trim sooner than later.
Good news/Bad news…
The poorly detailed truck started acting up after everyone got in the truck and we had to swap trucks today.  Gotta take my truck in for the same thing I brought it in for a month or so ago.    Rolleyes  Americus will never let me make another Chevy joke now. Somehow, I’m sure I’ll disappoint.  Smile  But the good news is we mowed all our lawns and didn’t break anything!  Yeah? Yeah! Now we’re cooking with oil.  Watch out!

^^^^^^^ Banana Laughing

Love ya brother.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 11:17 AM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

Not that I don't get looked at on occasion because of my size, but the last ten days I've had to do this 'chemical peel' on my face and forearms to pretty much burn away any potential skin pre-cancers.  I've got big red blotches and scabs all over my face and arms.  I look like even more of a mutant.  I can see people staring at me without staring at me...if you know what I mean.

And the process if applying the stuff is quite pleasant in itself.  You really have to work yourself up to put the cream on your skin after day 5 because it burns like a mutha for about a half hour afterwards.  Figured I'd better get it out of the way since I have a follow-up with the dermatologist on Monday.  Hopefully some of this [BLEEP] on my face clears up by this weekend.  We're driving down to San Antonio for a little weekend getaway.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-04-2022, 08:03 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 11:24 AM)Mikey Wrote: Good news, with the impromptu irrigation, the clients will probably need another trim sooner than later.
Good news/Bad news…
The poorly detailed truck started acting up after everyone got in the truck and we had to swap trucks today.  Gotta take my truck in for the same thing I brought it in for a month or so ago.    Rolleyes  Americus will never let me make another Chevy joke now. Somehow, I’m sure I’ll disappoint.  Smile  But the good news is we mowed all our lawns and didn’t break anything!  Yeah? Yeah! Now we’re cooking with oil.  Watch out!

Fix or repair daily. Big Grin

(01-05-2022, 11:15 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Not that I don't get looked at on occasion because of my size, but the last ten days I've had to do this 'chemical peel' on my face and forearms to pretty much burn away any potential skin pre-cancers.  I've got big red blotches and scabs all over my face and arms.  I look like even more of a mutant.  I can see people staring at me without staring at me...if you know what I mean.

And the process if applying the stuff is quite pleasant in itself.  You really have to work yourself up to put the cream on your skin after day 5 because it burns like a mutha for about a half hour afterwards.  Figured I'd better get it out of the way since I have a follow-up with the dermatologist on Monday.  Hopefully some of this [BLEEP] on my face clears up by this weekend.  We're driving down to San Antonio for a little weekend getaway.

My old boss had to do this. His mostly bald pate and the tops of his ears looked like he’d been dabbed in paint stripper.

(01-05-2022, 11:32 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 08:03 PM)Jags Wrote: Good news/Bad news…

I had a Ford minivan that was an unkillable tank. Then I had a GMC Yukon XL that was probably the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. I loved that truck. The only problem it had was a blend door that would intermittently open to full heat on the driver’s side when the AC was running. I fixed it and then a couple of years later it started again so my son fixed it by overcorrecting when he got the front tire onto a soft shoulder. He rammed it into the tree line on the other side of the road. Seatbelts and airbags worked great. Those were the last things to ever work on that truck.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 06:18 PM by Jags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-05-2022, 11:32 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 08:03 PM)Jags Wrote: Good news/Bad news…

I made the Found on road dead joke.  As we left in another Ford truck.  I think that is Chevrolet’s marketing ploy.  It’s tough to come up with a mnemonic that makes sense for something with 9 letters.  Especially one that involves the letter “V”.  Let’s face it.. I can only think of one word.  Which is why Americus likes her truck. It’s a chick truck! Boom! I did it!!!

(01-05-2022, 11:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 11:32 AM)Mikey Wrote: Fix or repair daily. Big Grin

I had a Ford minivan that was an unkillable tank. Then I had a GMC Yukon XL that was probably the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. I loved that truck. The only problem it had was a blend door that would intermittently open to full heat on the driver’s side when the AC was running. I fixed it and then a couple of years later it started again so my son fixed it by overcorrecting when he got the front tire onto a soft shoulder. He rammed it into the tree line on the other side of the road. Seatbelts and airbags worked great. Those were the last things to ever work on that truck.
Whoah whoah whoah.  Ford minivan, or any mini van vs Yukon is not even a fair fight. I’d take the Yukon every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Heck, I’d take a Yukon right now. 

Mighty manly of you to admit you owned a minivan though.

(01-05-2022, 06:12 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 11:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I had a Ford minivan that was an unkillable tank. Then I had a GMC Yukon XL that was probably the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. I loved that truck. The only problem it had was a blend door that would intermittently open to full heat on the driver’s side when the AC was running. I fixed it and then a couple of years later it started again so my son fixed it by overcorrecting when he got the front tire onto a soft shoulder. He rammed it into the tree line on the other side of the road. Seatbelts and airbags worked great. Those were the last things to ever work on that truck.
Whoah whoah whoah.  Ford minivan, or any mini van vs Yukon is not even a fair fight. I’d take the Yukon every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Heck, I’d take a Yukon right now. 

It was probably just a ploy to sit with the hot moms at soccer practice.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(01-05-2022, 08:54 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

Hmm…  Chrysler Pacifica here I come!

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 09:40 PM by homebiscuit.)

(01-05-2022, 11:32 AM)Mikey Wrote: Fix or repair daily. Big Grin
I made the Found on road dead joke.  As we left in another Ford truck.  I think that is Chevrolet’s marketing ploy.  It’s tough to come up with a mnemonic that makes sense for something with 9 letters.  Especially one that involves the letter “V”.  Let’s face it.. I can only think of one word.  Which is why Americus likes her truck. It’s a chick truck! Boom! I did it!!!

(01-05-2022, 11:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I had a Ford minivan that was an unkillable tank. Then I had a GMC Yukon XL that was probably the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. I loved that truck. The only problem it had was a blend door that would intermittently open to full heat on the driver’s side when the AC was running. I fixed it and then a couple of years later it started again so my son fixed it by overcorrecting when he got the front tire onto a soft shoulder. He rammed it into the tree line on the other side of the road. Seatbelts and airbags worked great. Those were the last things to ever work on that truck.

I've owned two minivans. For convenience, drivability and comfort, you can't beat a minivan. Especially when you have a large family. That Yukon was great, though. It never ceased to amaze me how much grunt that thing had. In 8 years, it never gave me any problems, except gas expense. That's when gas prices were flirting with five bucks a gallon.

(01-05-2022, 08:54 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

[Image: tenor.gif]