Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2022, 05:52 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

I’m not quoting you Marty because I wrote a book.  I can agree to a degree, but I think sheer stupidity and alcohol caused this particular ordeal.  Lesson definitely learned. 

On a lighter note, as I kept refreshing the directions to see when a good time to go without too much traffic I noticed the Nassau County Sheriffs office had a 3.1 star google review.  I thought it was humorous that a sheriff’s department would have a google review.  Obviously, 3.1 isn’t that great.  I’m going to actually read the reviews now that I think about it.  I’m sure there a few good ones.  I’m guessing a bunch of one stars for being arrested and crap.  When I walked in, I felt like I was doing the walk of shame.  But the customer service was amazing.  Smiling face of the girl that I would consider a receptionist???  Tells me with a smile she’ll have someone right out.  This guy was not in uniform but was also very friendly, called me sir and almost acted like he was providing me a service.  He takes my id, makes a copy, has me sign and went to retrieve my haunted past.  He comes out with a brown bag, like you’d pack a pb&j in for a field trip.  He pulls it out slightly for me to acknowledge that it was in fact the correct gun.  I nodded.  He tells me “This didn’t come with a gun lock on it. So be careful I put it in this bag for you.”  Uh… I’m going out on a limb and assume the vast majority of the “evidence” didn’t come with safety features attached.  Had I written a review 16 or 17 years ago, I would have given 1 star.  I think it would have been funny had I done that.  Then “Update 16 years later: staff was super friendly and returned my possessions, would recommend”.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 06:13 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

I love classical music.  I was listening the other day, and it struck me, some guy sat down with some blank sheets of paper and a quill pen and wrote that entire symphony, note by note. 

That boggles my mind.

(04-28-2022, 06:06 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I love classical music.  I was listening the other day, and it struck me, some guy sat down with some blank sheets of paper and a quill pen and wrote that entire symphony, note by note. 

That boggles my mind.

I bet you're fun at parties.. Always love to hear a good story about a bridge..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0LSbLu0o9SU
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(04-28-2022, 03:36 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 06:06 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I love classical music.  I was listening the other day, and it struck me, some guy sat down with some blank sheets of paper and a quill pen and wrote that entire symphony, note by note. 

That boggles my mind.

I bet you're fun at parties.. Always love to hear a good story about a bridge..

Ouch!  That only hurts because it's true.  I am very boring at parties.  

You have to admit, though, for a guy to take a bunch of blank paper and a pen and create an entire symphony is pretty remarkable.  Right?  Okay, never mind.

(04-28-2022, 04:27 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 03:36 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I bet you're fun at parties.. Always love to hear a good story about a bridge..

Ouch!  That only hurts because it's true.  I am very boring at parties.  

You have to admit, though, for a guy to take a bunch of blank paper and a pen and create an entire symphony is pretty remarkable.  Right?  Okay, never mind.
+1.  I thought I had an embarrassing admission.  You’ve got me beat, haha.  

But yeah… I’ll at least give it to you.  It is kinda cool in its own right.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 06:28 PM by Jags. Edited 2 times in total.)

I have an estimate today and there is a Tractor Supply Co. on the way back to my house.  I figure I’d stop in and window shop.  Here I am staring at the cute chicks.  Smiling. Wanting their eggs.  Eat their legs, breasts or wings if they happened to be males (baby chickens, you weirdos).  I’m asked if I need help and said I was just killing time and checking out what you have, but thank you.  I’m glad I donned a work shirt before the estimate.  I didn’t need to since the estimate was for new construction.  But I guess this guy isn’t dumb and saw me wearing our swag and not actually working, asks if I was the owner.  Sure,  I mean, I know I’m a lawn rockstar ‘round here, but I’m not signing any autographs.  Turns out  he wanted an estimate.  Ok cool, what is the address, nah, if for the damn store that has 2.38 acres to cut and hedges and weeds to be sprayed.  Plus picking up all the trash.  Ugh. But ok, it’s in my area, I’ll bite.  He has a store in OP and I will not be putting in for that!  Not unless he pays double, gives me an employee discount and a dozen free hats.  Hopefully we can work out a deal on the 210 location.  Just thought that was odd/random. And kinda cool. Between you and I, the current people are doing a piss poor job.  I won’t talk bad about another company.  But I can see why he’s looking

I wish all the hot days we had were like today with low humidity (at least for our standards). Was a nice day. And sweat worked and did it’s job.

(05-05-2022, 05:12 PM)Jags Wrote: I wish all the hot days we had were like today with low humidity (at least for our standards).  Was a nice day.  And sweat worked and did it’s job.

I do not miss FL weather. It can get hot and humid here in NC but not for as long as y'all do. I love having four seasons that actually look and feel like four seasons. Today we had 77 degrees with low humidity and low dewpoint. It felt wonderful.

(05-05-2022, 07:26 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-05-2022, 05:12 PM)Jags Wrote: I wish all the hot days we had were like today with low humidity (at least for our standards).  Was a nice day.  And sweat worked and did it’s job.

I do not miss FL weather. It can get hot and humid here in NC but not for as long as y'all do. I love having four seasons that actually look and feel like four seasons. Today we had 77 degrees with low humidity and low dewpoint. It felt wonderful.

I miss seasons.  Really do.  But having been accustomed to this climate, I’m not sure I can handle 4 seasons and/or cold weather for months at a time.  I like the idea of it, but I also remember chapped hands that feel like leather and well, the cold.  I miss it at times, and wish we had more weather diversity.  Just don’t know if I can handle it.  But this hot dry heat… I’m digging it!  So is the crew.  Maybe I should relocate to Arizona. Lol!  Where I suppose I mow rocks and spray roundup on weeds.

(05-05-2022, 07:26 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

I miss the seasons too, but every  time I go home (Ohio) in the winter, I remember that I enjoy visiting snow. After about a week or so of shoveling, I'd ready to head back south.

I still haven't gotten the hang of xmas spirit when it's 60 degrees outside, though.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2022, 12:17 PM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

Well, at least I've honed the timing of my (free) golf game now. 

I had been looking for openings in the afternoon.  Now I just get to the course at about 6:30 and get off of the first tee as soon as it gets light enough...around 6:40.  Then I get out well before the paying customers and don't interfere with anybody.  Plus I get through all 18 in less than 2 1/2 hours.  This has another side effect.  In minimizes the [BLEEP] that I take from the boss at home because I'm home by 9:30.

My golf game still sucks.   Laughing
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-07-2022, 12:17 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Well, at least I've honed the timing of my (free) golf game now. 

I had been looking for openings in the afternoon.  Now I just get to the course at about 6:30 and get off of the first tee as soon as it gets light enough...around 6:40.  Then I get out well before the paying customers and don't interfere with anybody.  Plus I get through all 18 in less than 2 1/2 hours.  This has another side effect.  In minimizes the [BLEEP] that I take from the boss at home because I'm home by 9:30.

Free golf surpasses free beer.

(05-07-2022, 12:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-07-2022, 12:17 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Well, at least I've honed the timing of my (free) golf game now. 

You can always buy better beer.  For some reason, buying golf lessons doesn't yield a similar result.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2022, 06:41 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-07-2022, 02:58 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(05-07-2022, 12:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Free golf surpasses free beer.

You can always buy better beer.  For some reason, buying golf lessons doesn't yield a similar result.
I’ll give you a golf lesson for free. Aim left of the windmill and don’t ever play with a 6 year old.  That’s all I got.  That, and beer girls are typically hired by rich [BLEEP] old guys.  I don’t blame them.I thank them.

(05-06-2022, 08:20 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-05-2022, 07:26 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I do not miss FL weather. It can get hot and humid here in NC but not for as long as y'all do. I love having four seasons that actually look and feel like four seasons. Today we had 77 degrees with low humidity and low dewpoint. It felt wonderful.

I miss the seasons too, but every  time I go home (Ohio) in the winter, I remember that I enjoy visiting snow. After about a week or so of shoveling, I'd ready to head back south.

I still haven't gotten the hang of xmas spirit when it's 60 degrees outside, though.

I'm in Vermont for a few days and there is frost on my car this morning!
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I'm trying to get into watching The USFL.. This is the 3rd game I've watched..

I.. just.. can't.. for some reason.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2022, 03:58 PM by The Drifter. Edited 1 time in total.)

I just watched the movie "The Deer Hunter" for the 1st time in years. I'd forgotten just how powerful of a movie that is. Following the lives of 3 men before, during, and after Vietnam and how it affected not only their lives, but the lives of then people around them. I actually had a few tears roll down my face during the last scene, when they're all at the bar after Nick's funeral, silently looking at each other and then break in to a chorus of God Bless America......It kind of tugs at your heart strings once you realize what the men and women who served there went through while they were there, and what some of them are still going through here back at home. We all owe a big thank you to everyone that has served, not only in the past, but now in the present......
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(05-08-2022, 03:58 PM)The Drifter Wrote: I just watched the movie "The Deer Hunter" for the 1st time in years. I'd forgotten just how powerful of a movie that is. Following the lives of 3 men before, during, and after Vietnam and how it affected not only their lives, but the lives of then people around them. I actually had a few tears roll down my face during the last scene, when they're all at the bar after Nick's funeral, silently looking at each other and then break in to a chorus of God Bless America......It kind of tugs at your heart strings once you realize what the men and women who served there went through while they were there, and what some of them are still going through here back at home. We all owe a big thank you to everyone that has served, not only in the past, but now in the present......

Great movie.. My uncle is in that movie. Bar scene.

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2022, 11:09 AM by Mikey.)

(05-07-2022, 12:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

hogwash.

I don't need to spend years improving my beer drinking capability.

If I help a friend move, I'll slap him in the face if he hands me a gift card to the local course instead of offering me a cold one.

(05-08-2022, 03:40 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I'm trying to get into watching The USFL.. This is the 3rd game I've watched..

I.. just.. can't.. for some reason.

One thing I'll say is FS1 likes to replay the games throughout the week. I'll gladly turn it on then when everyone else is asleep, I'm doing other things, and just need some background noise. I don't watch soccer, hoops, baseball or any of those other sports that tend to be on at that hour.

I've seen a few games in bits and chunks, it's ok, but not ever going to overtake NFL or even CFB.

Man oh Man am I getting a lot of junk phone calls so far today, too many to count, and they're coming from all over the place. Good thing I have caller ID because if I don't know the number, I don't answer, it's as simple as that. I don't feel like listening to some sales pitch about "We like to talk to you about your car's extended warranty" type [BLEEP].... Let it keep happening today, if I get too pissed off about it I will answer and tell them to [BLEEP] OFF!
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."