Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(05-31-2022, 05:46 PM)Jags Wrote: Congrats Winger!  Drinks are on you!  Not in the body shot kind of way…well, you know what I mean. 

That’s [BLEEP] awesome dude!

Gracias Amigo!!
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2022, 08:21 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

I’ve got a guy on salary that seemingly is doing his damnest to get fired.  I’d hate to have him leave. But he likes to take days off.  Apparently, this guy got hit with a rock in the eye early Monday last week.  Tuesday he shows up (talks to a chick on the phone about how he wanted to hear her voice while also apparently his traveling nurse wife left for New Hampshire the following day and calls in Wednesday and Thursday.  I’m calling bullsgit and tell him to take Friday off. I am taking those days out of his pay.  He’s technically a subcontractor.  So I am not paying for the days he isn’t here.  He’s now disputing the amount I’m taking out (which is pretty easy math). I over hired this year since help has been hard to come by.  And we are growing.  But this dude is asking for me to let him go.  I don’t want to harbor any bad feelings with him and he is VERY valuable while he is here.  But on the other hand I get a very sizable raise when he screws up again and I let him go and go back to the truck every day.  I don’t know what to do. I’m sick and tired of the inmates attempting to run the asylum. It’s very hard to run a business when you don’t know the manpower you have the next day.

(05-31-2022, 08:17 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ve got a guy on salary that seemingly is doing his damnest to get fired.  I’d hate to have him leave. But he likes to take days off.  Apparently, this guy got hit with a rock in the eye early Monday last week.  Tuesday he shows up (talks to a chick on the phone about how he wanted to hear her voice while also apparently his traveling nurse wife left for New Hampshire the following day and calls in Wednesday and Thursday.  I’m calling bullsgit and tell him to take Friday off. I am taking those days out of his pay.  He’s technically a subcontractor.  So I am not paying for the days he isn’t here.  He’s now disputing the amount I’m taking out (which is pretty easy math). I over hired this year since help has been hard to come by.  And we are growing.  But this dude is asking for me to let him go.  I don’t want to harbor any bad feelings with him and he is VERY valuable while he is here.  But on the other hand I get a very sizable raise when he screws up again and I let him go and go back to the truck every day.  I don’t know what to do. I’m sick and tired of the inmates attempting to run the asylum. It’s very hard to run a business when you don’t know the manpower you have the next day.

Let him walk.. There's plenty of hard workin folks out there that would love to have his position.

Not me.. But you'll find another valuable employee. And then something will happen to that one, and so on. Part of the game kids play. I played it when I was younger. I wanted to be anywhere but work lol. But then life finds a way to kick ya in the teeth and you mentally grow up and become responsible..

You hire youngins with a good strong back and full of energy, who just don't wanna work lol

Or..

You can hire middle aged or older employees who are much slower and a bit fragile, but will show up every day because they need that paycheck for their health insurance or scratch ticket habit lol..

So choose.. but choose wisely. For the true grail will grant you life, while the false grail will take it from you..

Sorry, I recently watched Indy.

And I had my veggies tonight  Banana

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2022, 06:56 AM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-31-2022, 09:44 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(05-31-2022, 08:17 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ve got a guy on salary that seemingly is doing his damnest to get fired.  I’d hate to have him leave. But he likes to take days off.  Apparently, this guy got hit with a rock in the eye early Monday last week.  Tuesday he shows up (talks to a chick on the phone about how he wanted to hear her voice while also apparently his traveling nurse wife left for New Hampshire the following day and calls in Wednesday and Thursday.  I’m calling bullsgit and tell him to take Friday off. I am taking those days out of his pay.  He’s technically a subcontractor.  So I am not paying for the days he isn’t here.  He’s now disputing the amount I’m taking out (which is pretty easy math). I over hired this year since help has been hard to come by.  And we are growing.  But this dude is asking for me to let him go.  I don’t want to harbor any bad feelings with him and he is VERY valuable while he is here.  But on the other hand I get a very sizable raise when he screws up again and I let him go and go back to the truck every day.  I don’t know what to do. I’m sick and tired of the inmates attempting to run the asylum. It’s very hard to run a business when you don’t know the manpower you have the next day.

Let him walk.. There's plenty of hard workin folks out there that would love to have his position.

Not me.. But you'll find another valuable employee. And then something will happen to that one, and so on. Part of the game kids play. I played it when I was younger. I wanted to be anywhere but work lol. But then life finds a way to kick ya in the teeth and you mentally grow up and become responsible..

You hire youngins with a good strong back and full of energy, who just don't wanna work lol

Or..

You can hire middle aged or older employees who are much slower and a bit fragile, but will show up every day because they need that paycheck for their health insurance or scratch ticket habit lol..

So choose.. but choose wisely. For the true grail will grant you life, while the false grail will take it from you..

Sorry, I recently watched Indy.

And I had my veggies tonight  Banana
Normally, I’d agree to this line of thinking.  This guy is married, mid 30’s 3 kids, one just a few months old.  Oddly enough, I hired a 23 yr old 3 years ago and hasn’t called in once.  He even came in with food poisoning once and I had to drop him off. I thought he just drank too much, but turns out it was legit.

Sadly, there isn’t exactly a line of people looking to take this job.

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2022, 09:16 AM by Mikey. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-31-2022, 01:36 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I just paid off my mortgage, my new car that I just purchased and all of my credit cards and other lines of credit that I had..

Both my wife and I are officially retired at age 47..

Feels wonderful!!

congrations, the lotto ticket finally cashed in?

EDIT: my apologies if this made light of what you had to do or endure to get here. Sincerely happy for you and your wife, I'm the warped individual who will probably keep working even when I don't have to just to say I have something to do! Other than the house, we're debt-free, cash-only spenders, but two kids to get through college might delay our celebration.

Big Q: what are you all gonna do to mark the event? Travel? Faincy dinner?

[pseudo-lawya]
First, be careful posting stuff like this before taking action. There is some level of anonymity here, but this can still come back to bite you if it's discovered.
[/pseudo-lawya]

That said, if you give salaried employees leave, dock the leave before docking the pay. If the guy expended all leave, then docking pay is appropriate. Have a talk with the dude about both being on salary and being present. Excessive absence especially without acceptable reason is certainly justified dismissal, but get something in writing that you've warned him of this. Heck, just having that talk might be enough for him to hand in his keys and tell you to pound sand. If not, you've got a trail to show that this was continued issue after bringing it to his attention should he file any claims after being let go.

For all you Golf Freaks, one amazing hole in one......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFePqTMLt0g
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(06-01-2022, 09:10 AM)Mikey Wrote:

[pseudo-lawya]
First, be careful posting stuff like this before taking action. There is some level of anonymity here, but this can still come back to bite you if it's discovered.
[/pseudo-lawya]

That said, if you give salaried employees leave, dock the leave before docking the pay. If the guy expended all leave, then docking pay is appropriate. Have a talk with the dude about both being on salary and being present. Excessive absence especially without acceptable reason is certainly justified dismissal, but get something in writing that you've warned him of this. Heck, just having that talk might be enough for him to hand in his keys and tell you to pound sand. If not, you've got a trail to show that this was continued issue after bringing it to his attention should he file any claims after being let go.

This. If the Army taught me nothing else they taught me to cover my butt. That and working in a customer service call center years ago. I document everything when I'm dealing with other people. It drives my husband nuts but it has been very beneficial from time to time to pull out a piece of paper listing every single time I talked to a specific person about a specific issue, what was discussed, etc. 

Rarely will someone question your integrity when they see the time & effort you take to document things. Or they thing you're paranoid but the result is the same because no one wants to handle a 'crazy' person. Lol.

Johnny Depp for the win.

(06-01-2022, 09:10 AM)Mikey Wrote:

[pseudo-lawya]
[/pseudo-lawya]

Thanks.  I do appreciate it. But this is a bit of a different ballgame here.  He’s a subcontractor (cpa insisted). He got 32k a year and we only work 40 weeks on the lawns.  Thos off weeks if we have a job he got paid hourly on.  He has made a “full” month without missing any days 1 time and that is between the 15th of April to the 15th of may.  Today was payday.  No call no show.  He gone.   I took care of him the best I could.  I gave him every opportunity I could and was well more lenient than any other employer would have been.  I know I did everything I could and MORE.  At some point you get slapped in the face enough and walked over you have to call it quits.  I am not in the wrong on this.  Other than talking to much online. I’ll shut  the [BLEEP] up now.

It would be funnier if it wasn't true...........

[Image: ng.jpg]
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(06-01-2022, 07:54 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-01-2022, 09:10 AM)Mikey Wrote: [pseudo-lawya]
[/pseudo-lawya]

Thanks.  I do appreciate it. But this is a bit of a different ballgame here.  He’s a subcontractor (cpa insisted). He got 32k a year and we only work 40 weeks on the lawns.  Thos off weeks if we have a job he got paid hourly on.  He has made a “full” month without missing any days 1 time and that is between the 15th of April to the 15th of may.  Today was payday.  No call no show.  He gone.   I took care of him the best I could.  I gave him every opportunity I could and was well more lenient than any other employer would have been.  I know I did everything I could and MORE.  At some point you get slapped in the face enough and walked over you have to call it quits.  I am not in the wrong on this.  Other than talking to much online. I’ll shut  the [BLEEP] up now.

I have no respect for no call no shows. Screw that dude.

My first job was as a dishwasher at a family-owned restaurant. The cook was a senior in HS, I think I was soph or junior. I was starting to train as a cook, but Friday was busiest night of the week and I was on dishes, he was to cook. No call, no show, so the boss puts me on my first solo shift at cook on our busiest night. I think the boss ended up in the dishroom (kudos), but 16 year old me finally understood the need for a beer after a hard day's work that night.

Here's hoping the next guy is more reliable.

(06-02-2022, 08:50 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-01-2022, 07:54 PM)Jags Wrote: Thanks.  I do appreciate it. But this is a bit of a different ballgame here.  He’s a subcontractor (cpa insisted). He got 32k a year and we only work 40 weeks on the lawns.  Thos off weeks if we have a job he got paid hourly on.  He has made a “full” month without missing any days 1 time and that is between the 15th of April to the 15th of may.  Today was payday.  No call no show.  He gone.   I took care of him the best I could.  I gave him every opportunity I could and was well more lenient than any other employer would have been.  I know I did everything I could and MORE.  At some point you get slapped in the face enough and walked over you have to call it quits.  I am not in the wrong on this.  Other than talking to much online. I’ll shut  the [BLEEP] up now.

I have no respect for no call no shows. Screw that dude.

My first job was as a dishwasher at a family-owned restaurant. The cook was a senior in HS, I think I was soph or junior. I was starting to train as a cook, but Friday was busiest night of the week and I was on dishes, he was to cook. No call, no show, so the boss puts me on my first solo shift at cook on our busiest night. I think the boss ended up in the dishroom (kudos), but 16 year old me finally understood the need for a beer after a hard day's work that night.

Here's hoping the next guy is more reliable.

I’m not sure I’m going to look too hard for the next guy.  I’ve been really enjoying branching out and trimming trees and other landscaping jobs that I don’t normally have time for in the summer, but this year has not been normal at all.  It’s like everything has been against us in trying to make that happen.  So I figure maybe I’m being told “not now”.  The Mrs and I have been saving for land.  We’ve got a nice bit going. If I take this guys role then I’m thinking of taking what his salary would have been and adding to our land fund each month. Kind of “fast track” our way.  As they say, “hard work pays off”.  It’s a thought at least. Best part of this is I didn’t even have to fire the guy.  I hate firing people.  He didn’t say he quit, but he pretty much said he quit when he thanked me for all I taught him. Either way, we’re both clear that he ain’t working here any more.  It’s really a shame.  Aggravating as [BLEEP], but a shame.  The guy had so much potential and did so good when he was in. 

After an 11 hour day playing catch-up, I’m am with you on that beer.  Tastes so good.

There goes one of my old ships to the scrapyard. I’ve stood in-port watches on the fantail (the recessed deck on the very back of the ship) where I once greeted one of my own guys returning very late from liberty, right after sunrise, in Singapore. He smelled of perfume and had a hickey on his neck. Hopefully it was worth the punishment. 

It’s also where I qualified on the .50 cal while sailing through the Straits of Hormuz on New Years morning. I stood lots of gun mount watches while in the Persian Gulf on the weather sponson just aft of elevator one, which is the aircraft elevator all the forward on the starboard side. Lots of memories.

https://news.usni.org/2022/06/01/former-...-scrapping

(06-03-2022, 07:51 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: There goes one of my old ships to the scrapyard. I’ve stood in-port watches on the fantail (the recessed deck on the very back of the ship) where I once greeted one of my own guys returning very late from liberty, right after sunrise, in Singapore. He smelled of perfume and had a hickey on his neck. Hopefully it was worth the punishment. 

It’s also where I qualified on the .50 cal while sailing through the Straits of Hormuz on New Years morning. I stood lots of gun mount watches while in the Persian Gulf on the weather sponson just aft of elevator one, which is the aircraft elevator all the forward on the starboard side. Lots of memories.

Thank you for your service, Mr. biscuit.

@Just think, if you had been able to scrounge up two cents, you coulda bought it!@

I'm sure many others have fond memories of the Kitty Hawk as well. Out of curiosity, does retirement/scrap of the ship similarly retire the name, or would they be able to name another ship the Kitty Hawk in the future? I know nothing about military protocols.

(06-03-2022, 08:50 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-03-2022, 07:51 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: There goes one of my old ships to the scrapyard. I’ve stood in-port watches on the fantail (the recessed deck on the very back of the ship) where I once greeted one of my own guys returning very late from liberty, right after sunrise, in Singapore. He smelled of perfume and had a hickey on his neck. Hopefully it was worth the punishment. 

Thank you for your service, Mr. biscuit.

@Just think, if you had been able to scrounge up two cents, you coulda bought it!@

I'm sure many others have fond memories of the Kitty Hawk as well. Out of curiosity, does retirement/scrap of the ship similarly retire the name, or would they be able to name another ship the Kitty Hawk in the future? I know nothing about military protocols.

You’re welcome. 

I had the bid but the HOA denied my request to keep it in the backyard. Buncha prudes.

The name is struck from the naval registry of commissioned ships for that particular hull, so the name can be used again. As a matter of fact, the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67), another one of my old ships which is destined for the same fate as the Kitty Hawk soon,  already has a new hull (CVN-79) and was christened in 2019.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_John...y_(CVN-79)

The Enterprise passed to 8 ships from 1775 to 2017 with a new Ford class getting the name in 2028.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-03-2022, 10:58 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The Enterprise passed to 8 ships from 1775 to 2017 with a new Ford class getting the name in 2028.

Let’s not forget:

[Image: STARSHIP+U.S.S+ENTERPRISE+NCC-1701-A.jpg]

The banana and watermelon salt water taffy from Buc-ee's is so damn addictive

Sittin here watchin old 80's music videos on youtube (got a pretty killer surround sound setup) , eatin fiddle faddle, stoned with no pain, lovin life!!