Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2023, 10:30 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-12-2023, 08:40 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(01-11-2023, 06:53 PM)Jags Wrote: I feel your pain.  I have my brother plus others coming to town this weekend.  I happen to be off this week.  wife also happened to want to paint the house.  Guess what! I’ve got two days to paint the [BLEEP] house.  She was ready to pay 4700 to have it done a month or so ago. I thought that was ridiculous.   Now we have company coming.  I spent 570 at sherwin Williams today for paint alone!!   I also enlisted the help from a couple employees.  It’ll get done.  Comes out of my pocket though.  Idk how it goes from her wanting to pay someone to me doing it and also paying a couple employees to bail me out and help.  So I expect to be out close to a thousand.  And I [BLEEP] hate painting!!!With a [BLEEP] passion!  As long as the wife is happy?   Idk, between you and I, my patience are wearing thin with this chick.

I think my wife owes me money.  I may just send her an invoice.

Hey, I've seen that movie.  The housewife doesn't have money for the contractor, and she has to pay another way.

No joke, I sent her an invoice from my lawn business. I sent it for 1,000,000.00.  (I’ll delete it). And guess what!? No attempt to pay it off.  

Thank goodness they guys can through.  We knocked out two coats in the vast majority of the house today.   It’s probably selfish of me but I take that as a respect thing.  I know what I’m paying them for their “day job” and I know they’re good.  But was pleasantly surprised they showed up on an off day (despite getting paid cash)  I had a one not show, but he said he was unavailable.  I’m so happy we got so much done. Enough I can solo it alone to finish up tomorrow if I have to.  

Idk, how it goes from the wife taking her money to pay close to 4K to have this done to me paying over 500 for paint alone and paying my own help to get it done.  Have I said I loathe painting?  Me thinks my wife royally played me.  For that, well played wifey, well played!  

I’m not going to forget this soon.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Played golf today with a dude wearing a tacks pullover.  Even funnier because I was wearing all my Jags [BLEEP].
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-14-2023, 08:41 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Played golf today with a dude wearing a tacks pullover.  Even funnier because I was wearing all my Jags [BLEEP].

Who played better?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(01-12-2023, 10:29 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-12-2023, 08:40 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Hey, I've seen that movie.  The housewife doesn't have money for the contractor, and she has to pay another way.

No joke, I sent her an invoice from my lawn business. I sent it for 1,000,000.00.  (I’ll delete it). And guess what!? No attempt to pay it off.  

Thank goodness they guys can through.  We knocked out two coats in the vast majority of the house today.   It’s probably selfish of me but I take that as a respect thing.  I know what I’m paying them for their “day job” and I know they’re good.  But was pleasantly surprised they showed up on an off day (despite getting paid cash)  I had a one not show, but he said he was unavailable.  I’m so happy we got so much done. Enough I can solo it alone to finish up tomorrow if I have to.  

Idk, how it goes from the wife taking her money to pay close to 4K to have this done to me paying over 500 for paint alone and paying my own help to get it done.  Have I said I loathe painting?  Me thinks my wife royally played me.  For that, well played wifey, well played!  

Painting's OK.  Prep is a PITA.  Once you get everything sanded, filled, caulked, etc, the painting but is pretty painless.  Except for the high walls in stairs.  They can be troublesome.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2023, 06:26 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-15-2023, 04:28 AM)captivating Wrote:
(01-12-2023, 10:29 PM)Jags Wrote: No joke, I sent her an invoice from my lawn business. I sent it for 1,000,000.00.  (I’ll delete it). And guess what!? No attempt to pay it off.  

Painting's OK.  Prep is a PITA.  Once you get everything sanded, filled, caulked, etc, the painting but is pretty painless.  Except for the high walls in stairs.  They can be troublesome.
Normally, I’d agree with you.  I don’t know what overcame me, but I didn’t tape a darn thing this go ‘round.   I did a bang up job if I don’t say so myself.  So the taping and [BLEEP] was gone.  I actually enjoyed the trim work.  I didn’t really have many areas to sand or holes to fill.  A couple here or there.  Didn’t mind that.  The rolling…. Tedious, monotonous, boring….OMG!!!   Will it ever end?   I can’t do those tasks.  The ones that are supposed to be easy.  I can do it for a bit, but whole house?  Just shoot me, please. I would rather (not kidding) watch the paint dry or go mow lawns.

(01-16-2023, 06:25 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-15-2023, 04:28 AM)captivating Wrote: Painting's OK.  Prep is a PITA.  Once you get everything sanded, filled, caulked, etc, the painting but is pretty painless.  Except for the high walls in stairs.  They can be troublesome.
Normally, I’d agree with you.  I don’t know what overcame me, but I didn’t tape a darn thing this go ‘round.   I did a bang up job if I don’t say so myself.  So the taping and [BLEEP] was gone.  I actually enjoyed the trim work.  I didn’t really have many areas to sand or holes to fill.  A couple here or there.  Didn’t mind that.  The rolling…. Tedious, monotonous, boring….OMG!!!   Will it ever end?   I can’t do those tasks.  The ones that are supposed to be easy.  I can do it for a bit, but whole house?  Just shoot me, please. I would rather (not kidding) watch the paint dry or go mow lawns.

good painters don't need tape. Just need to avoid the DT's so your hand is nice and steady on those edges. Big Grin 

(Every painter I ever worked with was a card-carrying alcoholic)

(01-17-2023, 09:59 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 06:25 PM)Jags Wrote: Normally, I’d agree with you.  I don’t know what overcame me, but I didn’t tape a darn thing this go ‘round.   I did a bang up job if I don’t say so myself.  So the taping and [BLEEP] was gone.  I actually enjoyed the trim work.  I didn’t really have many areas to sand or holes to fill.  A couple here or there.  Didn’t mind that.  The rolling…. Tedious, monotonous, boring….OMG!!!   Will it ever end?   I can’t do those tasks.  The ones that are supposed to be easy.  I can do it for a bit, but whole house?  Just shoot me, please. I would rather (not kidding) watch the paint dry or go mow lawns.

good painters don't need tape. Just need to avoid the DT's so your hand is nice and steady on those edges. Big Grin 

That’s no exaggeration. General contractors are usually fairly hard drinkers, but painters are besotted.

(01-17-2023, 11:15 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 09:59 AM)Mikey Wrote: good painters don't need tape. Just need to avoid the DT's so your hand is nice and steady on those edges. Big Grin 

That’s no exaggeration. General contractors are usually fairly hard drinkers, but painters are besotted.

Yep, pretty much all laborers drink.  Those that don’t, good for them.  I once had a guy have his truck break down and couldn’t leave work.  I asked if he wanted me to stay while he was waiting on a tow.  He told me “Nope, I’ll be good (as he pulls a half drank bottle of Lord Calvert from the back seat).”  This man drove 45-60 minutes to and from work.  Smh.  

I may drink, but I sure as hell don’t drink and drive. Let alone literally actively drinking while driving.

(01-17-2023, 06:58 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 11:15 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: That’s no exaggeration. General contractors are usually fairly hard drinkers, but painters are besotted.

Yep, pretty much all laborers drink.  Those that don’t, good for them.  I once had a guy have his truck break down and couldn’t leave work.  I asked if he wanted me to stay while he was waiting on a tow.  He told me “Nope, I’ll be good (as he pulls a half drank bottle of Lord Calvert from the back seat).”  This man drove 45-60 minutes to and from work.  Smh.  

I may drink, but I sure as hell don’t drink and drive. Let alone literally actively drinking while driving.

LOL.  Just the guy you want in a company vehicle.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(01-17-2023, 08:30 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 06:58 PM)Jags Wrote: Yep, pretty much all laborers drink.  Those that don’t, good for them.  I once had a guy have his truck break down and couldn’t leave work.  I asked if he wanted me to stay while he was waiting on a tow.  He told me “Nope, I’ll be good (as he pulls a half drank bottle of Lord Calvert from the back seat).”  This man drove 45-60 minutes to and from work.  Smh.  

LOL.  Just the guy you want in a company vehicle.

He never drove one of my trucks for one.  He was fired very shortly after, btw.  He was the one and ONLY employee I almost knocked the [BLEEP] out.  He was our “Jalen Ramsey” I guess you’d say.  Another employee depended on him for a ride.  If I fired him, I’d be getting rid of 2 guys.  IN THE HEART OF SUMMER!!! Normally, you’d keep the bad apples until winter, then figure it out.  He was just ThAT BAD!!  He was gone. 

Fun fact: he actually called me a few months back asking if I’d sub out work to him.   Acted like we were best friends all while going down in history as the worst hire I have ever made.  I can go on and on, but it’s best for my health to try to forget about that cancer.

(01-17-2023, 08:45 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 08:30 PM)Sneakers Wrote: LOL.  Just the guy you want in a company vehicle.

He never drove one of my trucks for one.  He was fired very shortly after, btw.  He was the one and ONLY employee I almost knocked the [BLEEP] out.  He was our “Jalen Ramsey” I guess you’d say.  Another employee depended on him for a ride.  If I fired him, I’d be getting rid of 2 guys.  IN THE HEART OF SUMMER!!! Normally, you’d keep the bad apples until winter, then figure it out.  He was just ThAT BAD!!  He was gone. 

Fun fact: he actually called me a few months back asking if I’d sub out work to him.   Acted like we were best friends all while going down in history as the worst hire I have ever made.  I can go on and on, but it’s best for my health to try to forget about that cancer.

I've terminated my share of prize characters over the years.  Sometimes, no matter how bad the timing is, you just have to get rid of a walking time-bomb.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(01-17-2023, 11:16 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 08:45 PM)Jags Wrote: He never drove one of my trucks for one.  He was fired very shortly after, btw.  He was the one and ONLY employee I almost knocked the [BLEEP] out.  He was our “Jalen Ramsey” I guess you’d say.  Another employee depended on him for a ride.  If I fired him, I’d be getting rid of 2 guys.  IN THE HEART OF SUMMER!!! Normally, you’d keep the bad apples until winter, then figure it out.  He was just ThAT BAD!!  He was gone. 

I've terminated my share of prize characters over the years.  Sometimes, no matter how bad the timing is, you just have to get rid of a walking time-bomb.

If there was a line trying to get into the lawn industry, I would’ve fire so many more a lot quicker than I have.  This line of work, sometimes you’ve gotta roll with what you’ve got in order to make the clients happy.  I’ve made some changes on the business side.  Hopefully finding help in the future won’t be so hard whenever I’m hiring again.

(01-18-2023, 07:55 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 11:16 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I've terminated my share of prize characters over the years.  Sometimes, no matter how bad the timing is, you just have to get rid of a walking time-bomb.

If there was a line trying to get into the lawn industry, I would’ve fire so many more a lot quicker than I have.  This line of work, sometimes you’ve gotta roll with what you’ve got in order to make the clients happy.  I’ve made some changes on the business side.  Hopefully finding help in the future won’t be so hard whenever I’m hiring again.

You already know this, but I had to find out the hard way.. Not to hire friends or become good friends with your employees.

Ya hire friends or family, and everything works out great, for a little while. Then when they start screwin up, they don't expect to be treated like an employee and they start looking for all the perks and extras. Then you're stuck being the bad guy because you gotta get rid of them.

Sucks, dude..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(01-18-2023, 08:03 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-18-2023, 07:55 PM)Jags Wrote: If there was a line trying to get into the lawn industry, I would’ve fire so many more a lot quicker than I have.  This line of work, sometimes you’ve gotta roll with what you’ve got in order to make the clients happy.  I’ve made some changes on the business side.  Hopefully finding help in the future won’t be so hard whenever I’m hiring again.

You already know this, but I had to find out the hard way.. Not to hire friends or become good friends with your employees.

Ya hire friends or family, and everything works out great, for a little while. Then when they start screwin up, they don't expect to be treated like an employee and they start looking for all the perks and extras. Then you're stuck being the bad guy because you gotta get rid of them.

Sucks, dude..

I’ve got a confession to make.  I hired my niece’s BF last year.  He can do the work.  Wasn’t bad at it.  But considering who he was and the fact he never kept a job, I knew I had him.  He couldn’t go back and say he got fired.  He’d show up every day, sometimes late.  But the help was better than not having any at all.  I actually refused to fire him.  I knew he couldn’t quit.  The family was just that close.  He did his best to get fired, I refused.  He had a meltdown to say the least.  The guys in the truck (myself included) still have our laughs.  But I can honestly say that I never treated him wrong or anything.  He tried to make me look bad.  But, let’s just say the family knew better.  Fun fact: he still has no job.  My niece is still busting her [BLEEP] to pay all their bills.  And she doesn’t make that much.  Maybe one day she’ll learn.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2023, 09:08 AM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

The golf course is only seven miles from a big cargo airport supporting FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.  These bad boys are flying over real low throughout the day.

[Image: 99-CA9-C9-F-29-EE-448-A-95-FD-ED97088-CD241.jpg]
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-18-2023, 08:11 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-18-2023, 08:03 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: You already know this, but I had to find out the hard way.. Not to hire friends or become good friends with your employees.

Sucks, dude..

I’ve got a confession to make.  I hired my niece’s BF last year.  He can do the work.  Wasn’t bad at it.  But considering who he was and the fact he never kept a job, I knew I had him.  He couldn’t go back and say he got fired.  He’d show up every day, sometimes late.  But the help was better than not having any at all.  I actually refused to fire him.  I knew he couldn’t quit.  The family was just that close.  He did his best to get fired, I refused.  He had a meltdown to say the least.  The guys in the truck (myself included) still have our laughs.  But I can honestly say that I never treated him wrong or anything.  He tried to make me look bad.  But, let’s just say the family knew better.  Fun fact: he still has no job.  My niece is still busting her [BLEEP] to pay all their bills.  And she doesn’t make that much.  Maybe one day she’ll learn.

Sounds like a real winner. Your niece is an idiot.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

A Durham distillery announces bourbon aged in space. 

DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Durham distillery is working to create a bourbon that will be literally "out of this world."

Mystic Farm and Distillery said its new whiskey, Mystic Galactic, will be the rarest spirit ever produced.

The distillery plans to work with companies such as SpaceX, Inversion Space, Bank of America, and others to finance, design, test and build vessels to send five barrels of whiskey to Low Earth Orbit for one year of additional aging.

https://abc11.com/durham-distillery-myst.../12717157/

(01-19-2023, 09:08 AM)RicoTx Wrote: The golf course is only seven miles from a big cargo airport supporting FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.  These bad boys are flying over real low throughout the day.

[Image: 99-CA9-C9-F-29-EE-448-A-95-FD-ED97088-CD241.jpg]

I imagine that can get pretty loud.

Living in relative proximity to Fort Bragg and Pope Army Airfield we get Apaches, Chinooks, C-17s, C-130s, Black Hawks and when we're super lucky we get to see Ospreys. 

Sometimes those helicopters sound like they're skimming our neighborhood. Our windows rattle when that happens.

(01-19-2023, 05:01 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: A Durham distillery announces bourbon aged in space. 

DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Durham distillery is working to create a bourbon that will be literally "out of this world."

Mystic Farm and Distillery said its new whiskey, Mystic Galactic, will be the rarest spirit ever produced.

The distillery plans to work with companies such as SpaceX, Inversion Space, Bank of America, and others to finance, design, test and build vessels to send five barrels of whiskey to Low Earth Orbit for one year of additional aging.

https://abc11.com/durham-distillery-myst.../12717157/

I think you just stole a few hearts with that article.

Drifter and HB to be specific lol
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(01-19-2023, 11:17 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(01-18-2023, 08:11 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ve got a confession to make.  I hired my niece’s BF last year.  He can do the work.  Wasn’t bad at it.  But considering who he was and the fact he never kept a job, I knew I had him.  He couldn’t go back and say he got fired.  He’d show up every day, sometimes late.  But the help was better than not having any at all.  I actually refused to fire him.  I knew he couldn’t quit.  The family was just that close.  He did his best to get fired, I refused.  He had a meltdown to say the least.  The guys in the truck (myself included) still have our laughs.  But I can honestly say that I never treated him wrong or anything.  He tried to make me look bad.  But, let’s just say the family knew better.  Fun fact: he still has no job.  My niece is still busting her [BLEEP] to pay all their bills.  And she doesn’t make that much.  Maybe one day she’ll learn.

Sounds like a real winner. Your niece is an idiot.
He’s an absolute piece of [BLEEP], no doubt about it.  She’s a niece on the wife’s side.  My SIL’s and wife have tried to tell her she’s an idiot. I figure there is no pint piling on.   This guy is far from good looking too.  Absolutely no one knows what the [BLEEP] she sees in this dead beat.  She’s no model, but she can easily get someone 4-5 points higher than him in the looks dept.   he’s 52 and she’s 28 or 30 or something.  It’s a [BLEEP] mystery. We need the mystery machine to figure that out.  This dude essentially hit the jackpot.  
More power to him, I guess????   I just thought it was hilarious I hired him knowing he couldn’t quit.  

This guys meltdown… he blamed it on me.  Won’t go too far into it, but not only is that incorrect, but after he talked to me the way he did, I literally dropped his [BLEEP] off the side of the road.  Even that other dude I referred to got to his vehicle.  Next level piece of shot right there.  Thanksgiving and Christmas were fun.  Him trying to play both sides and the whole rest of their family knowing he was the [BLEEP]. Love my niece, but yeah… she dumb.