Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(05-23-2023, 08:50 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 08:44 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Are you going to play golf in Hawaii?

Anniversary.

Although I did just get back from Phoenix for a golf trip with NYC4Jags and a couple of other friends.
Guess my invite got lost in the mail...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So, do any of you buy cold medicine like Mucinex or Sudafed? If so are you getting carded for it? Evidently here in the great state of NC we are now having to show our driver's license or state ID to buy this stuff. 

WTH?

(05-24-2023, 10:56 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: So, do any of you buy cold medicine like Mucinex or Sudafed? If so are you getting carded for it? Evidently here in the great state of NC we are now having to show our driver's license or state ID to buy this stuff. 

WTH?

That sounds like a methy situation..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(05-24-2023, 10:56 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: So, do any of you buy cold medicine like Mucinex or Sudafed? If so are you getting carded for it? Evidently here in the great state of NC we are now having to show our driver's license or state ID to buy this stuff. 

WTH?

The day I arrived in Australia, I came down with a fevered virus that kicked my [BLEEP]. In order to get the good medicine from a pharmacy, what we consider OTC here, I had to fill out a form and show my passport in order to get a prescription for it. The pharmacist then placed it in a locked plastic box with a prescription seal over it just so I could walk it to checkout where they unboxed it after I showed them my passport to prove ID. An Aboriginal teenager named Ricky working the pharmacy counter explained to me it was all because of meth.

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2023, 08:36 AM by Mikey.)

(05-24-2023, 11:10 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:

WTH?

That sounds like a methy situation..

ayuh.

I do know that places around here will also restrict the number of items you can purchase at one time.

(05-24-2023, 11:28 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

WTH?

The day I arrived in Australia, I came down with a fevered virus that kicked my [BLEEP]. In order to get the good medicine from a pharmacy, what we consider OTC here, I had to fill out a form and show my passport in order to get a prescription for it. The pharmacist then placed it in a locked plastic box with a prescription seal over it just so I could walk it to checkout where they unboxed it after I showed them my passport to prove ID. An Aboriginal teenager named Ricky working the pharmacy counter explained to me it was all because of meth.

...so you do meth, you end up working the pharmacy counter?

Dang.

WTH?

Most meds switched from pseudophedrine to phenylephrine (sp?) several years ago because you can't make meth from the latter.

The "good stuff" is still used however snd when you buy a med containing it they will record the purchase. 

As a frequent traveler with sinusitis, this has happened to me in several states.

(05-25-2023, 09:03 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

WTH?

Most meds switched from pseudophedrine to phenylephrine (sp?) several years ago because you can't make meth from the latter.

The "good stuff" is still used however snd when you buy a med containing it they will record the purchase. 

As a frequent traveler with sinusitis, this has happened to me in several states.

We have to show our ID to get meds with both. With pseudoephedrine our ID is run through a database and we can buy only one box every 30 days. With the phenylephrine we have to show our ID like we're buying alcoholic beverages and no limit so far. 

As someone who buys both thanks to allergies and nasal congestion that seems to have been made worse by Covid, this is a pain in the [BLEEP]. Specifically the Claritin-D with pseudoephedrine. Sometimes only a 15 count box is available and I take it daily during allergy season so my husband has to buy another 15 count box to get me through a month.

(05-25-2023, 01:58 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 09:03 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Most meds switched from pseudophedrine to phenylephrine (sp?) several years ago because you can't make meth from the latter.

We have to show our ID to get meds with both. With pseudoephedrine our ID is run through a database and we can buy only one box every 30 days. With the phenylephrine we have to show our ID like we're buying alcoholic beverages and no limit so far. 

As someone who buys both thanks to allergies and nasal congestion that seems to have been made worse by Covid, this is a pain in the [BLEEP]. Specifically the Claritin-D with pseudoephedrine. Sometimes only a 15 count box is available and I take it daily during allergy season so my husband has to buy another 15 count box to get me through a month.

My first wife had allergies really bad.. That was back when Claritin-D was prescription only. With no insurance back then, I was paying about $200 a month for it.. That was maybe 20 years ago.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(05-25-2023, 02:04 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 01:58 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: We have to show our ID to get meds with both. With pseudoephedrine our ID is run through a database and we can buy only one box every 30 days. With the phenylephrine we have to show our ID like we're buying alcoholic beverages and no limit so far. 

My first wife had allergies really bad.. That was back when Claritin-D was prescription only. With no insurance back then, I was paying about $200 a month for it.. That was maybe 20 years ago.

I'm wondering if I can get a prescription for it so I can get a 30 day supply. I'd likely pay less with my copay for 30 than I do without insurance for 15.

Every time I see this thread I see 0DTE
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

I played golf with my sons today and only hit 1 GIR. That was a long par 3 and I managed to sneak it onto the front edge. Some of it had to do with the wind. There were a few approach shots I flushed but they came up short or were pushed off line. However, I played the same ball for all 18 holes. A strange day.

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2023, 06:05 PM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

I’m sitting in a restaurant and they seated next to a group that had a screaming baby.  In all honesty, I have never heard a kid screaming so loud.  And I’m not talking about crying…screaming/shrieking is more like it. The waiter couldn’t even hear my order.  Two tables left.  The waiter said it had been going on for 20 minutes…off and on.  One of the group FINALLY got up and took the kid outside.  Oh joy, they’re back.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-27-2023, 06:02 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I’m sitting in a restaurant and they seated next to a group that had a screaming baby.  In all honesty, I have never heard a kid screaming so loud.  And I’m not talking about crying…screaming/shrieking is more like it. The waiter couldn’t even hear my order.  Two tables left.  The waiter said it had been going on for 20 minutes…off and on.  One of the group FINALLY got up and took the kid outside.  Oh joy, they’re back.

Some parents are just [BLEEP]. These are the same people that would let their kid scream in the middle of a wedding ceremony and not take them out because they don’t want to miss anything.  Rolleyes
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(05-27-2023, 06:08 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(05-27-2023, 06:02 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I’m sitting in a restaurant and they seated next to a group that had a screaming baby.  In all honesty, I have never heard a kid screaming so loud.  And I’m not talking about crying…screaming/shrieking is more like it. The waiter couldn’t even hear my order.  Two tables left.  The waiter said it had been going on for 20 minutes…off and on.  One of the group FINALLY got up and took the kid outside.  Oh joy, they’re back.

Some parents are just [BLEEP]. These are the same people that would let their kid scream in the middle of a wedding ceremony and not take them out because they don’t want to miss anything.  Rolleyes
I mean, I get it.  Not all kids are well behaved but this was waaaaaay overboard.  It was ridiculous.  They left before my food got here, thank goodness.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2023, 06:13 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 3 times in total.)

(05-27-2023, 04:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I played golf with my sons today and only hit 1 GIR. That was a long par 3 and I managed to sneak it onto the front edge. Some of it had to do with the wind. There were a few approach shots I flushed but they came up short or were pushed off line. However, I played the same ball for all 18 holes. A strange day.

Sounds like you played a great round.  I can't remember the last time I didn't lose at least one golf ball.  Recently I lost 8 balls in one round.  I'm hitting the ball farther than I have in the last 20 years, but of course that means farther into the woods.

(05-29-2023, 06:08 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-27-2023, 04:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I played golf with my sons today and only hit 1 GIR. That was a long par 3 and I managed to sneak it onto the front edge. Some of it had to do with the wind. There were a few approach shots I flushed but they came up short or were pushed off line. However, I played the same ball for all 18 holes. A strange day.

Sounds like you played a great round.  I can't remember the last time I didn't lose at least one golf ball.  Recently I lost 8 balls in one round.  I'm hitting the ball farther than I have in the last 20 years, but of course that means farther into the woods.

It wasn’t so much that it was a great round, I bogeyed nearly every hole on the back nine. A lot of it had to do with playing at Hyde Park. They’re doing a lot of renovation work and much of it has been to clear out trees and undergrowth, which makes finding wayward balls easier. 

However, on the good side, I was making good ball impact most of the time but the wind was really a factor. My putting was on and off too. 92 was my final score. I just couldn’t find a green in regulation to save my life. Really frustrating.

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2023, 07:05 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-29-2023, 06:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-29-2023, 06:08 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Sounds like you played a great round.  I can't remember the last time I didn't lose at least one golf ball.  Recently I lost 8 balls in one round.  I'm hitting the ball farther than I have in the last 20 years, but of course that means farther into the woods.

It wasn’t so much that it was a great round, I bogeyed nearly every hole on the back nine. A lot of it had to do with playing at Hyde Park. They’re doing a lot of renovation work and much of it has been to clear out trees and undergrowth, which makes finding wayward balls easier. 

However, on the good side, I was making good ball impact most of the time but the wind was really a factor. My putting was on and off too. 92 was my final score. I just couldn’t find a green in regulation to save my life. Really frustrating.

Hyde Park is a great course for not losing golf balls.  You can hit the ball way off line and still find it.  The fairways are generally wide, and the rough is non-existent.  I grew up playing that course.  Last time I played there, they were working on the club house.  So they're missing the most important thing on any course- the bar.  The post-round drinks.  

How was the course?  Are they still working on the club house?

(05-29-2023, 07:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-29-2023, 06:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It wasn’t so much that it was a great round, I bogeyed nearly every hole on the back nine. A lot of it had to do with playing at Hyde Park. They’re doing a lot of renovation work and much of it has been to clear out trees and undergrowth, which makes finding wayward balls easier. 

Hyde Park is a great course for not losing golf balls.  You can hit the ball way off line and still find it.  The fairways are generally wide, and the rough is non-existent.  I grew up playing that course.  Last time I played there, they were working on the club house.  So they're missing the most important thing on any course- the bar.  The post-round drinks.  

How was the course?  Are they still working on the club house?

The course is coming along well. Along with tree removal, they've been working on drainage issues. They've also resodded many areas around water hazards that had become shabby due to the poor drainage. They've also replaced a couple of cart bridges with nice concrete structures.  There's still a lot of work being done. Areas around some of the fairways are dug up with downed trees and heavy equipment sitting about. The front nine looks more open with so many trees removed. Hopefully the greens are the next area of interest. Apparently, a renovation project was completed on them a couple of years ago, but they're still not as good as Bent Creeks's. While not terrible, they could be better.  A lot of lumps and jumps. They can be quirky and difficult to read and some have damaged patches. 

Sadly, the clubhouse still sits gutted. They've updated the facade but around back it looks like the abandoned renovation project it is. They have a trailer set up for the cashier and a food truck type trailer set up for food and drink next to a canopied sitting area. The new owners are slowly working a long list of issues that have piled up over the years. 

It's expensive work, but they're slowly but surely improving the course. They even have a course marshal during busy hours, which was never the case with the previous owners. 

I love playing Hyde Park. It's a true old Florida course. Unfortunately, I don't play there as often as I should because it is far less stressful than playing Bent Creek.