Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(08-14-2023, 04:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Man, it’s hot. My AC cycles off for about 10 minutes and then begins chugging away again.

In this heat ours never cycles during the day after about 11am. It just stays on until about 8-9pm. This morning we reached 100° on our porch by about 10am. In the shade. Tomorrow we are under another heat advisory.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2023, 08:46 AM by Mikey.)

(08-14-2023, 03:07 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-14-2023, 01:35 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: THANK SWEET BABY JESUS FOR AIR CONDITIONING!!!!

I got the window AC into the living room window and cranked it up. Our HVAC guy came later and replaced the capacitor and now both are working to cool this place down. Today is supposed to be the hottest day here so far this summer. 100° and real feel of 112°.

So very thankful for our HVAC guy and the easy fix. He also showed me how to clean the fins on the heat pump to help with circulation, heat disbursement, etc. Ours was nasty. He said the last time he did it was right before me and hubby got married in 2012.

I have gotten to the point to where I go outside to do whatever chores/tasks at 7:00 or so.  Usually by 10:30 or 11:00 I'm done and ringing out my shirt from all of the sweat.  Take a shower, put on fresh clothes and maybe by 4:00 in the afternoon I'll go let the goats out and "babysit" them for a while (in the shade).

I am so tired of drinking bottled water and Gatorade all day.  That's just the way it is in Florida I guess.

/nods knowingly

I'll say though, can't beat that afternoon nap in the AC.
My problem is I usually don't call it quits until about 1PM, and I'm thoroughly drained (literally) for the rest of the day.

(08-14-2023, 03:08 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-14-2023, 01:48 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Kick start caps are a common fail item on air conditioners. So common, they are not covered under warranty. Mainly because repairmen can charge exorbitant prices to replace them in minutes with a part that costs $20. It sucks but that’s the way it is.

Thankfully we only have to pay for the part. Any time him or his dad work on this thing they either don't charge us anything or only charge us for parts. The perks of me and hubby knowing them almost our whole lives and our families knowing them through church for 50 years.

Parts and a nice meal are perfect reimbursement! Wink

I'm living in satan's armpit.

93°, 64% humidity and 79° dew point = 116° real feel. I don't understand the math but it is freaking awful outside today. Much worse than yesterday.

I hope people are making smart decisions about outside activities.

(08-15-2023, 12:31 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'm living in satan's armpit.

93°, 64% humidity and 79° dew point = 116° real feel. I don't understand the math but it is freaking awful outside today. Much worse than yesterday.

It’s a little cooler at my location but the humidity is much higher due to the rain we got yesterday. As I’m typing this, I hear thunder as huge anvil clouds loom overhead. It’s about to break loose.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2023, 05:41 PM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-15-2023, 01:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-15-2023, 12:31 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'm living in satan's armpit.

It’s a little cooler at my location but the humidity is much higher due to the rain we got yesterday. As I’m typing this, I hear thunder as huge anvil clouds loom overhead. It’s about to break loose.

We actually ventured outside today.  High 80s low 90s almost feels cool at this point.  Decided to hang out in Grapevine.  Cool little town.  Think of a larger San Marco area…maybe a smaller St. George Street.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-14-2023, 03:24 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-14-2023, 03:07 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I have gotten to the point to where I go outside to do whatever chores/tasks at 7:00 or so.  Usually by 10:30 or 11:00 I'm done and ringing out my shirt from all of the sweat.  Take a shower, put on fresh clothes and maybe by 4:00 in the afternoon I'll go let the goats out and "babysit" them for a while (in the shade).

I am so tired of drinking bottled water and Gatorade all day.  That's just the way it is in Florida I guess.

Take care out there dude!! 

I know you do a lot outside and thought of you Saturday when we fired up the chainsaw and cut down a few trees in our yard. We got started later than I wanted but got 3 trees down, limbed and cut into logs with the limbs going to a burn pile. The rest will have to wait. I had to stop around 1pm. I started feeling nauseous and knew I was headed towards heat exhaustion or heat stroke if I didn't stop. 

Hubby finished things up while I came in and took a legit cold shower. Stayed in there a long time then laid down on the floor in front of a box fan to cool down even more. It took awhile. I got heat stroke in 2011 and haven't been able to tolerate heat like I could before that happened. It sucks. Especially this summer. Today I started feeling it come on me again while putting the window unit in. If I overheat it takes two or three days to recover, depending on how bad it was, so I know to stay inside. But inside was going to get ugly if I didn't get the AC in the window. Thankfully it all worked out fairly quickly so I didn't get sick. 

A storm is coming through and hopefully cools things off. This El Niño BS is ridiculous.

I don't cut down a whole lot of trees right now, mother nature takes care of that for us.  We have had a few storms that pushed some trees over.  A lot of the wood gets cut up into firewood rounds to get split.  The limbs and stumps go to the burn pile.  I have a pile that I need to light up tomorrow.  I still have a large Maple tree that took out a couple of smaller Oaks that I need to clean up.

I'll load up my cooler with some Gatorade, water, some "adult beverages" and plenty of ice to go "babysit" a fire tomorrow.  I figure by around noon it should be burned down enough that I can go grab an outdoor shower, put on some clean clothes and just relax a bit in the A/C.

Taking a shower outdoors when you are hot, sweaty and nasty is quite refreshing.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I mowed, trimmed and edged the lawn in a light drizzle and 82° temps. It was glorious.

(08-15-2023, 06:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I mowed, trimmed and edged the lawn in a light drizzle and 82° temps. It was glorious.

What is this drizzle thing of which you speak?

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2023, 06:36 PM by homebiscuit.)

(08-15-2023, 04:39 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-14-2023, 03:24 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Take care out there dude!! 

I know you do a lot outside and thought of you Saturday when we fired up the chainsaw and cut down a few trees in our yard. We got started later than I wanted but got 3 trees down, limbed and cut into logs with the limbs going to a burn pile. The rest will have to wait. I had to stop around 1pm. I started feeling nauseous and knew I was headed towards heat exhaustion or heat stroke if I didn't stop. 

Hubby finished things up while I came in and took a legit cold shower. Stayed in there a long time then laid down on the floor in front of a box fan to cool down even more. It took awhile. I got heat stroke in 2011 and haven't been able to tolerate heat like I could before that happened. It sucks. Especially this summer. Today I started feeling it come on me again while putting the window unit in. If I overheat it takes two or three days to recover, depending on how bad it was, so I know to stay inside. But inside was going to get ugly if I didn't get the AC in the window. Thankfully it all worked out fairly quickly so I didn't get sick. 

A storm is coming through and hopefully cools things off. This El Niño BS is ridiculous.

I don't cut down a whole lot of trees right now, mother nature takes care of that for us.  We have had a few storms that pushed some trees over.  A lot of the wood gets cut up into firewood rounds to get split.  The limbs and stumps go to the burn pile.  I have a pile that I need to light up tomorrow.  I still have a large Maple tree that took out a couple of smaller Oaks that I need to clean up.

I'll load up my cooler with some Gatorade, water, some "adult beverages" and plenty of ice to go "babysit" a fire tomorrow.  I figure by around noon it should be burned down enough that I can go grab an outdoor shower, put on some clean clothes and just relax a bit in the A/C.

Taking a shower outdoors when you are hot, sweaty and nasty is quite refreshing.

JIB by 2:00.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...ipo=images]

(08-15-2023, 06:29 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-15-2023, 06:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I mowed, trimmed and edged the lawn in a light drizzle and 82° temps. It was glorious.

What is this drizzle thing of which you speak?

I thought it was rain. But you know, I never did look up.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2023, 07:42 AM by RicoTx. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-15-2023, 06:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-15-2023, 04:39 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't cut down a whole lot of trees right now, mother nature takes care of that for us.  We have had a few storms that pushed some trees over.  A lot of the wood gets cut up into firewood rounds to get split.  The limbs and stumps go to the burn pile.  I have a pile that I need to light up tomorrow.  I still have a large Maple tree that took out a couple of smaller Oaks that I need to clean up.

JIB by 2:00.

(08-15-2023, 06:29 PM)RicoTx Wrote: What is this drizzle thing of which you speak?

I am unfamiliar with this rain item as well.

In all seriousness, watching the news right now and we have not had any measurable rain in 37 days.  That along with the temps has made it just wonderful.

They say that cows are bad for the environment, but all they do is eat plants and fart...... Kind of like Vegans........... LOL
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(08-15-2023, 07:05 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-15-2023, 06:33 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: JIB by 2:00.

I am unfamiliar with this rain item as well.

In all seriousness, watching the news right now and we have not had any measurable rain in 37 days.  That along with the temps has made it just wonderful.

We had local flooding that completely covered 3rd street in Jax Beach this afternoon. I haven't seen rain that hard since the last hurricane.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Just tried the new spicy chicken wrap from Burger King..

Absolutely marvelous..

I'm getting 2 next time.. Good stuff!!
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Run, Forrest, run!

https://youtube.com/shorts/swyPqmvzOkk?feature=share

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2023, 10:26 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

Someone says Jacksonville is the fourth best place in the United States to move to.

https://www.fiftygrande.com/guide/best-c...n-america/

(08-18-2023, 10:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Someone says Jacksonville is the fourth best place in the United States to move to.

It’s the vibrant nightlife. 

[Image: my-cousin-vinny-pool-hall-counter-offer-...e-clip.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2023, 11:19 AM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-18-2023, 10:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 10:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Someone says Jacksonville is the fourth best place in the United States to move to.

It’s the vibrant nightlife. 

That almost looks like the old Silver Fox back in the day before it was on Beaver lolol

(08-18-2023, 11:17 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 10:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It’s the vibrant nightlife. 

That almost looks like the old Silver Fox back in the day before it was on Beaver lolol

It’s from a movie scene. Name that movie.

Got me there, dude.. Looks familiar though..

I need context...where did it rank in places to move from?

Big Grin