Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(02-12-2024, 01:23 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-12-2024, 10:57 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'm totally bummed out. I had to take my truck to the shop and was just told it would take minimum $2K to fix the problem. Blown head gasket. No warning other than the low coolant light came on last Thursday and the reservoir was low but I couldn't see where coolant was going so I dropped it off yesterday.

It's a 2002 Silverado and that truck has taken me a lot of places in the last 2 decades. 260,000+ miles. There's no way it makes sense to spend over two thousand dollars on a truck that old. I've taken care of it but it probably has other age related issues I don't know about yet and it could turn into a money pit.

I'm just totally bummed.

If you’re mechanically inclined, changing out head gaskets isn’t too difficult. Especially on trucks that old.

I am but I don't know if I want to tackle this. Will look it up on youtube to see if anyone has done it to assess the situation. 

My dude told me this one is a pain in the [BLEEP]. The outfit that has done all of the maintenance work on the truck it is not equipped to do it so he said he could personally recommend a place that I know for a fact charges out the butt for oil changes so I know they'll gouge me. Other than that, only the local Chevy dealership. That's what small town living does for you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-12-2024, 03:44 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(02-12-2024, 01:23 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: If you’re mechanically inclined, changing out head gaskets isn’t too difficult. Especially on trucks that old.

I am but I don't know if I want to tackle this. Will look it up on youtube to see if anyone has done it to assess the situation. 

My dude told me this one is a pain in the [BLEEP]. The outfit that has done all of the maintenance work on the truck it is not equipped to do it so he said he could personally recommend a place that I know for a fact charges out the butt for oil changes so I know they'll gouge me. Other than that, only the local Chevy dealership. That's what small town living does for you.

Did the truck overheat? Seems kind of odd that a head gasket would blow just because the coolant is low. Is the oil milky? That’s a sure sign of a blown head gasket.

(02-12-2024, 04:27 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-12-2024, 03:44 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I am but I don't know if I want to tackle this. Will look it up on youtube to see if anyone has done it to assess the situation. 

Did the truck overheat? Seems kind of odd that a head gasket would blow just because the coolant is low. Is the oil milky? That’s a sure sign of a blown head gasket.

It's been steady raining all day long so I haven't been up there to pick it up and have show me how they came to this conclusion. I'll go up there tomorrow under sunny skies to pick it up and have them show me then. 

It didn't overheat but I had a coolant issue last year that was fixed. I need to find the paperwork for that, actually. The check engine light came on and the next day or two the low coolant light came on so I checked the reservoir and it was super low. I didn't think to look anywhere else other than the ground and decided to let them check it out. He said he could see the coolant weeping out of the gasket. I wouldn't have smelled it burning off because I don't have a sense of smell. 

I guess I'll see it tomorrow with my own eyes.

(02-12-2024, 06:00 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(02-12-2024, 04:27 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Did the truck overheat? Seems kind of odd that a head gasket would blow just because the coolant is low. Is the oil milky? That’s a sure sign of a blown head gasket.

It's been steady raining all day long so I haven't been up there to pick it up and have show me how they came to this conclusion. I'll go up there tomorrow under sunny skies to pick it up and have them show me then. 

It didn't overheat but I had a coolant issue last year that was fixed. I need to find the paperwork for that, actually. The check engine light came on and the next day or two the low coolant light came on so I checked the reservoir and it was super low. I didn't think to look anywhere else other than the ground and decided to let them check it out. He said he could see the coolant weeping out of the gasket. I wouldn't have smelled it burning off because I don't have a sense of smell. 

I guess I'll see it tomorrow with my own eyes.

Most work on vehicles isn't very hard. Its all about having the knowledge and the correct tools. 

Youtube is very helpful, but unless you are willing to spend the money on getting the correct tools, I wouldn't attempt anything that big. 

I have a garage with almost every tool you could possibly need. So I'm constantly getting hit up from people asking if I will work on this or that. I use to do it all the time, but it's become quite old with working a full time job, working on my own things and trying to work on others. So I started to show people how to work on their own vehicles. Explain what needs done and watch them do their own work. Now I get to walk away happy because I could help someone and they walk away happy because they learned something new and have confidence in themselves.
In Dougie I Trust!

YouTube is wonderful for DIYers.

[Image: il_340x270.3879660057_bjuw.jpg]

Listen to this guy.

https://youtu.be/WHHGOYu6Fl0?si=qlI5AGfqrWCR-6gr

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2024, 03:08 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-12-2024, 10:57 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'm totally bummed out. I had to take my truck to the shop and was just told it would take minimum $2K to fix the problem. Blown head gasket. No warning other than the low coolant light came on last Thursday and the reservoir was low but I couldn't see where coolant was going so I dropped it off yesterday.

It's a 2002 Silverado and that truck has taken me a lot of places in the last 2 decades. 260,000+ miles. There's no way it makes sense to spend over two thousand dollars on a truck that old. I've taken care of it but it probably has other age related issues I don't know about yet and it could turn into a money pit.

I'm just totally bummed.

If thats all thats wrong and you like the truck, then id spend the $. Beats having to buy a whole new truck for 35k minimum. At a payment of $450 a month, if you drive it more than 5 months without any issues after getting it repaired, then youve broken even. Just did something similar with a 2003 Buick Century.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Odd but true facts.........

A contestant on The Price Is Right didn’t want the money; he wanted an elephant

Show: The Price Is Right
Original Network: CBS
Est. Production Budget: Unknown

In one memorable episode of The Price Is Right, a contestant shocked the host and audience by declaring that he would take the elephant offered to him as part of the showcase showdown, not the $4,000 offered to him as an alternative. The contestant went on to win the showcase and, after much effort, received his prized elephant. Unfortunately, owning an elephant in Texas turned out to be more difficult than he had anticipated, and he eventually had to donate his elephant prize to a zoo. Ultimately, ending up with no elephant and no prize money.

Herb Tarlek actually did wear a suit made from Volkswagen seat covers on WKRP in Cincinnati

Show: WKRP in Cincinnati
Original Network: CBS
Est. Production Budget: Undisclosed

This beloved classic sitcom had a lot of great characters and moments that are still remembered today. One memorable moment featured the character Herb Tarlek wearing a tacky argyle-patterned suit of which Venus Flytrap, another of the show’s memorable characters, so kindly says, “Somewhere out there, there’s a Volkswagen with no seats.” And there was. In yet another example of a classic Tv show poking fun at itself, that particular suit of Herb Tarek’s was, in fact, made from the seat covers of a Volkswagen.

The Addams Family was the first TV family to have a home computer

Show: The Addams Family
Original Network: ABC
Est. Production Budget: Undisclosed

This classic TV show was unlike any other. It followed Mr. and Mrs. Addams, Gomez, and Morticia. Their children, Wednesday and Pugsley. And the children’s wacky Uncle Fester. This gothic (partly undead?) clan took family values to another level and wasn’t afraid to show it. The Addams had an old-fashioned feel to their house and way of life, making viewers feel like they were part of the family. However, they were also the first television family to have a home computer, which was more than just unique for the time.

Adam West didn’t want to read for the part of Batman

Show: Batman
Est. Production Budget: $3.3 million per year*

Batman, the TV series, was launched in 1966 and became an instant hit that inspired countless future series and movies. Adam West played the role of Batman; however, it was later revealed that Adam West wasn’t sure if he wanted the role in the first place! He read through 20 pages of the first script and changed his mind before giving arguably one of the best Batman portrayals. Many say he even inspired future Batman characters in the movies that followed.

David Cassidy only made $600 per week

Show: The Partridge Family
Est. Production Budget: $1,000 per episode*
The Partridge Family first aired on TV in the 1970s and immediately became a favorite. TV star and musician David Cassidy played one of the lead roles and attracted tons of attention to the show. However, Cassidy made a shockingly low income of only $600 per week while playing the role of Keith Douglas. He later gave several interviews expressing his dissatisfaction over his payment.
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Some random Karen type [BLEEP] went off on me today for some reason. I was not sure why but the second she stopped to catch her breath, I ask her "who lit the fuse on your tampon".......... LOL
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(02-14-2024, 03:07 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-12-2024, 10:57 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'm totally bummed out. I had to take my truck to the shop and was just told it would take minimum $2K to fix the problem. Blown head gasket. No warning other than the low coolant light came on last Thursday and the reservoir was low but I couldn't see where coolant was going so I dropped it off yesterday.

I'm just totally bummed.

If thats all thats wrong and you like the truck, then id spend the $. Beats having to buy a whole new truck for 35k minimum.  At a payment of $450 a month, if you drive it more than 5 months without any issues after getting it repaired, then youve broken even.  Just did something similar with a 2003 Buick Century.

This is what I'm thinking but it's still hard to think about spending a chunk of money on such an old truck. It is a solid one though. My dad was a mechanic at a Chevy dealership back in the day and he said this particular make and model year would last forever if I took care of it, which I have but things break down over time. Now that I'm over the shock I'm more prepared to look at where to take it to get fixed. 

I'm not sentimental about much but I am when it comes to this truck.

68° and breezy feels chilly when humidity is only 26% and dew point is 48°. This is why I love NC weather this time of year. Of course the static electricity is real and.....quite shocking. Lol.

Scam email I just got. Government email addresses do not end in @gmail.com:
UNITED STATE POSTAL SERVICE <[email protected]>
Bcc:​
You

Thu 2/15/2024 3:00 AM
GOOD NEWS,
I'm the Agent of United States Postal Service, Postal
service company (USPS) We have been waiting for you to contact us for
your parcel that has been registered with us By IMF for shipment to
your residential address. We thought that the sender gave you our
contact details. It may interest you to know that a letter is also
added to your parcel.
However, we cannot quote the content to you via email for privacy
reasons. We understand that the content of your parcel itself is an
ATM MASTER CARD and after our scanning of the ATM MASTER CARD it contains
$9,500,000.00, we scan this your ATM CARD due to your delaying in contacting
us, So kindly get in touch with us asap with your requested information which
was used to registered it by the IMF to our office and also for we to
be sure that we are in contact with the rightful owner of this ATM CARD.
Kindly get in touch with us asap with your full details for a security
reasons although we have your information.
1]Name--------------
2]Address-----------
3]Tell--------------
4]Valid ID OR Driver license----------
Here is your ATM MASTER CARD information you can't use this your ATM card
for now until we deliver it to your home address for a security reason.
1]ATM CARD NUMBER: 4342-5801-5196-5506
2]EXPIRE DATE: 10/25
3]C.C.V: 713
For more details contact us through this email
([email protected])
Yours Faithfully,
cHARLES W.SCHARF
From the office of the IMF.
Director General of United State Postal Service

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0hbEqPIF...p1dWd4dXB3

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

What if I don't want the whole shabang?  Maybe I just want a half of a shabang.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-16-2024, 08:11 AM)RicoTx Wrote: What if I don't want the whole shabang?  Maybe I just want a half of a shabang.

Jokes on you, you end up with the sha and not a bang.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7u9grl0drvt44ewumwf...y.gif&ct=g]

Surely not EVERYBODY was kung fu fighting.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(02-17-2024, 04:33 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Surely not EVERYBODY was kung fu fighting.

Some of us were getting beaten up.

I got my solar panel company coming out tomorrow to take my panel system down so the roofing company can start on my roof Tuesday.. Getting excited!!
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(02-18-2024, 07:18 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I got my solar panel company coming out tomorrow to take my panel system down so the roofing company can start on my roof Tuesday.. Getting excited!!

What's your thoughts/opinions on your solar panels? Feel like they were worth it?
In Dougie I Trust!