Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Booze Thread

Was told you can't find happiness at the bottom of a bottle of Johnnie Walker. No kidding... who is happy when their Johnnie Walker runs out?
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

[Image: fearofclosedspaces.jpg]
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

I'm trying Elijah Craig tonight for the first time. As a Knob Creek fan, I like it. It has lots of body and a fair amount of heat.

I've found another bourbon worthy of my unrefined palette.

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2024, 09:33 PM by mikesez. Edited 2 times in total.)

I recently bought three "modern" gins. Aviation, Hendrick's, and Nolet Silver. Nolet was by far the best. Aviation and Hendricks were both forgettable. Aviation had a lot of orange peel flavor but it wasn't great. Nolet had a flower flavor and less pine tar flavor. It was less expensive than the Hendricks.

I also bought some Blanco Tequila. Cazadores, Teremana and Tres Agaves. Cazadores was terrible, tasted like surgical equioment. Teremana was simple and easy to enjoy but not memorable. Tres Agaves was by far better. It has all the vanilla sweetness of the Teremana but also has a fresh cut grass taste to it that's really great.

I'm still loyal to CC 100% rye for whiskey and soda, but Dewar's white label works too, adds a touch of grape jelly and toast that comes through even with the soda.

I'm slowly reaching out into american rye and bourbon. I think I don't care for anything over 90 proof. I had a knob Creek that was over 100 and still drank smooth but it was a gift from my boss. Anything I buy over about 95 proof that's in my price range has too much heat for me to really enjoy it. I enjoy Woodford's rye pretty well. I've bought a few that I haven't opened yet. I've experimented with mixing bourbon with soda but it's not good. As most people know it needs to be by itself or mixed with something with a lot of herbs. I don't like vermouth taking up space in my fridge but cynar 70 is a tasty substitute that can stay on the liquor cabinet.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-29-2024, 09:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: I recently bought three "modern" gins.  Aviation, Hendrick's, and Nolet Silver.  Nolet was by far the best.  Aviation and Hendricks were both forgettable.  Aviation had a lot of orange peel flavor but it wasn't great.  Nolet had a flower flavor and less pine tar flavor.  It was less expensive than the Hendricks.

I also bought some Blanco Tequila.  Cazadores, Teremana and Tres Agaves.  Cazadores was terrible, tasted like surgical equioment.  Teremana was simple and easy to enjoy but not memorable.  Tres Agaves was by far better.  It has all the vanilla sweetness of the Teremana but also has a fresh cut grass taste to it that's really great.

I'm still loyal to CC 100% rye for whiskey and soda, but Dewar's white label works too, adds a touch of grape jelly and toast that comes through even with the soda. 

I'm slowly reaching out into american rye and bourbon.  I think I don't care for anything over 90 proof.  I had a knob Creek that was over 100 and still drank smooth but it was a gift from my boss.  Anything I buy over about 95 proof that's in my price range has too much heat for me to really enjoy it.  I enjoy Woodford's rye pretty well.  I've bought a few that I haven't opened yet.  I've experimented with mixing bourbon with soda but it's not good.  As most people know it needs to be by itself or mixed with something with a lot of herbs. I don't like vermouth taking up space in my fridge but cynar 70 is a tasty substitute that can stay on the liquor cabinet.

All of that sounds exotic and utterly fascinating to me. I've never been much a liquor or cocktail drinker until the last 8 years, or so. Although, I did go a short gin binge back in the 90s.

Cheap.

They all take you to the same place, I'll go on a bus thank you

(03-30-2024, 10:13 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: Cheap.

They all take you to the same place, I'll go on a bus thank you

Someone woke up on the cynical side of bed this morning. 

Btw, you need money to go on the bus.

(03-29-2024, 09:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'm trying Elijah Craig tonight for the first time. As a Knob Creek fan, I like it. It has lots of body and a fair amount of heat.

I'm a bit of a bourbon collector. Some are pretty rare, and getting even more so now days. My favorite is Elmer T Lee. If you find a bottle on a shelf (not second hand purchase), buy it, even though it is still costly. My cheaper favorite is Jefferson Ocean, voyage 16 would be preferable.

I do have several Elijah Craig full proof bottles, and a few Elijah Craig toasted barrel bottles.

(03-30-2024, 10:47 AM)Sammy Wrote:
(03-29-2024, 09:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I'm trying Elijah Craig tonight for the first time. As a Knob Creek fan, I like it. It has lots of body and a fair amount of heat.

I'm a bit of a bourbon collector. Some are pretty rare, and getting even more so now days. My favorite is Elmer T Lee. If you find a bottle on a shelf (not second hand purchase), buy it, even though it is still costly. My cheaper favorite is Jefferson Ocean, voyage 16 would be preferable.

I do have several Elijah Craig full proof bottles, and a few Elijah Craig toasted barrel bottles.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Jefferson's Ocean looks intriguing. As a retired member of the Official United States Canoe Club, I was aged at sea as well. But I wonder, does this bourbon make port calls in Baltimore? 

Too soon, isn't it?

(03-30-2024, 11:10 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-30-2024, 10:47 AM)Sammy Wrote: I'm a bit of a bourbon collector. Some are pretty rare, and getting even more so now days. My favorite is Elmer T Lee. If you find a bottle on a shelf (not second hand purchase), buy it, even though it is still costly. My cheaper favorite is Jefferson Ocean, voyage 16 would be preferable.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Jefferson's Ocean looks intriguing. As a retired member of the Official United States Canoe Club, I was aged at sea as well. But I wonder, does this bourbon make port calls in Baltimore? 

Too soon, isn't it?

Too soon? I’ve gained 16 lbs since October 7th.

OK, who remembers these little headache producing Hand Grenades??????????

[Image: 11914164.jpg]

I sprung for a pint of Angel's Envy and I have to say, I'm not impressed...at all. It tastes more like antiseptic than anything. I don't get the rave reviews. Or the price. I'll finish it but I won't buy it again.

(04-07-2024, 10:20 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I sprung for a pint of Angel's Envy and I have to say, I'm not impressed...at all. It tastes more like antiseptic than anything. I don't get the rave reviews. Or the price. I'll finish it but I won't buy it again.

I haven't had it in a several years, but I remember it being solid.  It is overpriced though.  Many better options out there that are less expensive.

(04-07-2024, 11:38 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(04-07-2024, 10:20 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I sprung for a pint of Angel's Envy and I have to say, I'm not impressed...at all. It tastes more like antiseptic than anything. I don't get the rave reviews. Or the price. I'll finish it but I won't buy it again.

I haven't had it in a several years, but I remember it being solid.  It is overpriced though.  Many better options out there that are less expensive.

It’s possible I had my expectations set too high. Next weekend I’ll try it again with a more open mind. It just doesn’t seem to have the character of Knob Creek or Elijah Craig. Then again, I don’t have the palette which detects ‘oak with a finish of cinnamon, fresh baked bread, woody spice, deep vanilla creaminess with a hint of nutshell and tobacco.’

Rolleyes

(04-07-2024, 11:55 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-07-2024, 11:38 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I haven't had it in a several years, but I remember it being solid.  It is overpriced though.  Many better options out there that are less expensive.

It’s possible I had my expectations set too high. Next weekend I’ll try it again with a more open mind. It just doesn’t seem to have the character of Knob Creek or Elijah Craig. Then again, I don’t have the palette which detects ‘oak with a finish of cinnamon, fresh baked bread, woody spice, deep vanilla creaminess with a hint of nutshell and tobacco.’

Rolleyes

Elijah Craig 12 year (which they no longer produce) was priced around $30 back in the day and Angel's Envy was closer to $45 or $50.  The EC 12 blew it out of the water.  So much about booze and pricing is marketing and not necessarily quality.  The Angel's Envy did have a prettier bottle which will hook a lot of people.

That EC 12 was what got me into bourbon big time.  Sad day when they decided to no longer put that expression out and instead they put a more significant focus on their Barrell Proof offering which I don't care for as much personally, but a lot of people rave about it.

Angel's Envy isn't even bourbon, strictly speaking. It's finished in a used barrel. I think it's just OK. I got one as a gift. I certainly wouldn't pay $80 for it.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

A Spitfire carrying two casks of beer under its wings after leaving from RAF Tangmere, UK, in 1944, inbound to Normandy. This comical practice began shortly after the D-Day invasions to supply thirsty troops in Europe. Spitfires, P-51s, and Typhoons all dashed across the channel to make these well-appreciated runs.

'Flying Pubs' Spitfires Flew Beer to Normandy - PlaneHistoria

[Image: 437045447-453554100518771-7444993103516961946-n.jpg]