Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
At least 27 dead in Texas shooting

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-09-2017, 05:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 04:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Explain?

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Democracy_vs_Republic

"In a republic, a constitution or charter of rights protects certain inalienable rights that cannot be taken away by the government, even if it has been elected by a majority of voters."

What are they teaching the children in schools these days?

Actually, technically, we live in a democratic republic.

(11-09-2017, 10:05 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 09:57 PM)lastonealive Wrote: So you are more free because you can carry a gun out of fear of being attacked?

Im happy as a subject then thanks!

You seem to paint those of us that carry a gun as crazy, fearful, lunatics.

I'm not scared I'm going to die every day. It doesn't effect my happiness. I'm more free because I have the option of stopping any threat should the situation arise.

JagsNGeorgia, you and I don't agree on much, but on this, I agree 100%

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-09-2017, 10:05 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 09:57 PM)lastonealive Wrote: So you are more free because you can carry a gun out of fear of being attacked?

Im happy as a subject then thanks!

You seem to paint those of us that carry a gun as crazy, fearful, lunatics.

I'm not scared I'm going to die every day. It doesn't effect my happiness. I'm more free because I have the option of stopping any threat should the situation arise.

QFT. The freedom of choice is a powerful thing.

(11-09-2017, 10:19 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Maybe the answer is corporations sacking employees who carry own guns. That would be alright by you as companies are allowed to behave as they wish with employment contracts.

Yes, that is fine, stupid of them to be employee unfriendly, but fine. My company has a no carry policy in fact.

(11-09-2017, 11:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 05:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: https://www.diffen.com/difference/Democracy_vs_Republic

"In a republic, a constitution or charter of rights protects certain inalienable rights that cannot be taken away by the government, even if it has been elected by a majority of voters."

What are they teaching the children in schools these days?

Actually, technically, we live in a democratic republic.

(11-09-2017, 10:05 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: You seem to paint those of us that carry a gun as crazy, fearful, lunatics.

JagsNGeorgia, you and I don't agree on much, but on this, I agree 100%

The term you want is Constitutional Republic, a Democratic Republic merely elects a group of representatives who have the power to write any law they want. A CR has a Constitution that is authoritative to the current legislative body,  that's why the Congress cant write unconstitutional laws.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

People always cite the Constitution, on for good reason, but I wonder if they know it was written to protect you from government... Not really your fellow man.
Freedom isn't about your right to call your neighbor a cuss word... It's about the people having a right to speak out against their government without fear of prosecution or retaliation....
Right to bear arms? Was in fact brought up in the idea of fighting against a government that become to powerful for it's own good....much in the way our founding fathers did against the british....
And so on and so forth..... we amend the Constitution when an era or time calls for it... like civil rights issues...
Can we amend the right to bear arms? Sure... (that still won't protect you from the bad guys)
But I warn anyone who is anti-gun... The right to bear arms protects us from them. This isn't tinfoil hat nonsense... if you fully trust the US gov't you're a fool. One day, hell maybe soon, we'll need to forcefully push back against our government. And if they have all the guns... or it is illegal for us to have anything more than a .22, well we'd all be in deep poo.
And if you think there'll never be a day when we need a revolution... well... I wish I lived in the Matrix with you...

We don't need gun reform... we need mental health reform.

(11-10-2017, 10:45 AM)Kane Wrote: People always cite the Constitution, on for good reason, but I wonder if they know it was written to protect you from government... Not really your fellow man.
Freedom isn't about your right to call your neighbor a cuss word... It's about the people having a right to speak out against their government without fear of prosecution or retaliation....
Right to bear arms? Was in fact brought up in the idea of fighting against a government that become to powerful for it's own good....much in the way our founding fathers did against the british....
And so on and so forth..... we amend the Constitution when an era or time calls for it... like civil rights issues...
Can we amend the right to bear arms? Sure... (that still won't protect you from the bad guys)
But I warn anyone who is anti-gun... The right to bear arms protects us from them. This isn't tinfoil hat nonsense... if you fully trust the US gov't you're a fool. One day, hell maybe soon, we'll need to forcefully push back against our government. And if they have all the guns... or it is illegal for us to have anything more than a .22, well we'd all be in deep poo.
And if you think there'll never be a day when we need a revolution... well... I wish I lived in the Matrix with you...

Man - you have watched way too many movies. There are pro and con arguments re gun ownership, but one of the silliest is the "but we'll need them to fight the government" one. If enough generals get together and decide to have a coup, your little collection, and those of all the other gun nuts in this country, won't amount to anything. But you can die playing John Wayne.

I agree that we need mental health reform. But while politicians are really afraid of the NRA, they also hate spending money on mental heath issues. All the "small growth conservatives" will moan and groan about government spending, tax increases, etc. The mentally ill don't have an incredibly rich and powerful lobbying organization like the NRA speaking in their behalf.

So we just sit around waiting for the next massacre so we can send our thoughts and prayers.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(11-10-2017, 02:04 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 10:45 AM)Kane Wrote: People always cite the Constitution, on for good reason, but I wonder if they know it was written to protect you from government... Not really your fellow man.

Man - you have watched way too many movies. There are pro and con arguments re gun ownership, but one of the silliest is the "but we'll need them to fight the government" one. If enough generals get together and decide to have a coup, your little collection, and those of all the other gun nuts in this country, won't amount to anything. But you can die playing John Wayne.

I agree that we need mental health reform. But while politicians are really afraid of the NRA, they also hate spending money on mental heath issues. All the "small growth conservatives" will moan and groan about government spending, tax increases, etc. The mentally ill don't have an incredibly rich and powerful lobbying organization like the NRA speaking in their behalf.

So we just sit around waiting for the next massacre so we can send our thoughts and prayers.

You don't understand anything.

Do robots make up our military? Nope, it's humans. And more of them are gun owners than not.

If there is a civil war in this country the military will split in half. The first battles will be for weapons of war. So yes, our 2nd amendment will allow us to fight our government, because at leas t half of the military will not fight against its people.

Lol, I guess we know who the Loyalist of the board is now.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Yes, I believe we need guns in case there is a military coup, (any type of gun is fair game.) Personally, I have guns, in case of an invasion by foreign forces. Maybe you think it will never happen, but I'm not so sure. As for me and others "playing John Wayne," in case of such an event fine, that can be your attitude, but I'd rather go down fighting than roll over and surrender like the liberals who want to take away our firearms. 

Do I think the NRA has too much influence on politicians? Absolutely. They want no limits on anything. I for one, am all for longer waiting periods and more extensive vetting and background checks, but I am against limiting what kind of weapons a person can own. 

I also agree that we need more mental health reform. We need to pour more money into this issue and get people the treatment they need before they become a danger to themselves and others. People who do have mental issues or have displayed violent tendencies in the past, have no business owning weapons, but these are just a fraction of a percent of people who have guns in this country. Unfortunately it is this fraction of a percent, that causes all the problems.

I'd love it if we could limit the influence of the NRA, but as long as there is greed and a hard line two party system in this country, they will continue to influence the guns laws. In the meantime, we can pressure politicians to work on mental health reform.

No man... I don't watch too many movies... I read history (real history). I've studied the Constitution. I suppose the people of Germany didn't need to worry abou their government taking their guns, eh?
I'd rather be prepared and not need it than not have it and need em.

If you seriously think your government is clean enough to never turn on you... well you must be super young.
9/11, crack epidemic, LSD and X created in government labs, Contra, ISIS, Japanese internment camps, the nasty list goes on and on bro.
It only takes someone slightly more crazy than Obama or Trump before the crap really hits the fan.

Aside from taking up arms against a volatile government...how crazy would our country be if our economy truly collapses... the worst we have yet to see could be right around the corner.

Sure label me a conspiracy theorist... I don't care... and yeah I might die like John Wayne.. but I'll die free.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2017, 04:47 PM by Adam2012.)

(11-10-2017, 02:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 02:04 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: Man - you have watched way too many movies. There are pro and con arguments re gun ownership, but one of the silliest is the "but we'll need them to fight the government" one. If enough generals get together and decide to have a coup, your little collection, and those of all the other gun nuts in this country, won't amount to anything. But you can die playing John Wayne.

Lol, I guess we know who the Loyalist of the board is now.

Loyalist of the board? What is that supposed to mean? Have you been listening to Trump again? Or Hannity?

But that's ok - I didn't mean to interrupt you. Continue making out that check to the Roy Moore campaign.

(11-10-2017, 03:47 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 02:04 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: Man - you have watched way too many movies. There are pro and con arguments re gun ownership, but one of the silliest is the "but we'll need them to fight the government" one. If enough generals get together and decide to have a coup, your little collection, and those of all the other gun nuts in this country, won't amount to anything. But you can die playing John Wayne.

No man... I don't watch too many movies... I read history (real history). I've studied the Constitution. I suppose the people of Germany didn't need to worry abou their government taking their guns, eh?

If you seriously think your government is clean enough to never turn on you... well you must be super young.
9/11, crack epidemic, LSD and X created in government labs, Contra, ISIS, Japanese internment camps, the nasty list goes on and on bro.
It only takes someone slightly more crazy than Obama or Trump before the crap really hits the fan.

Aside from taking up arms against a volatile government...how crazy would our country be if our economy truly collapses... the worst we have yet to see could be right around the corner.

Sure label me a conspiracy theorist... I don't care... and yeah I might die like John Wayne.. but I'll die free.

Wow. Not only have you seen too many movies, you've been to way too many loon web sites.

But cool - keep stockpiling and living in fear. At least someone is making money off you.

And that "I'll die free." That will make a really neat tattoo.

(11-10-2017, 04:43 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 02:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, I guess we know who the Loyalist of the board is now.

Loyalist of the board? What is that supposed to mean? Have you been listening to Trump again? Or Hannity?

But that's ok - I didn't mean to interrupt you. Continue making out that check to the Roy Moore campaign.

(11-10-2017, 03:47 PM)Kane Wrote: No man... I don't watch too many movies... I read history (real history). I've studied the Constitution. I suppose the people of Germany didn't need to worry abou their government taking their guns, eh?

Wow. Not only have you seen too many movies, you've been to way too many loon web sites.

But cool - keep stockpiling and living in fear. At least someone is making money off you.

And that "I'll die free." That will make a really neat tattoo.

I see you've run all out of facts to argue with so you'll just finish up with a snarky comment that proves you're living in denial.

I don't visit "loon" web sites, whatever that is.
I don't stockpile anything (I don't actually own a gun, just like the unhinged right to own one if I ever feel the need) no one is making money off me kid. Except the government that takes without asking.

I wish I was naive. It's so much simpler to live life not knowing anything outside of your own little world.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2017, 05:08 PM by The Drifter.)

if our economy truly collapses, well, to quote Hank Williams Jr

"We can skin a buck, we can run a crop line and a country boy can survive"

AND

"I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive"

It's the liberals in these big cities that will suffer if the economy collapses, what will they eat? Pigeons?

I'd rather die fighting a free man than a slave on my knees..........
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(11-10-2017, 05:06 PM)The Drifter Wrote: if our economy truly collapses, well, to quote Hank Williams Jr

AND

It's the liberals in these big cities that will suffer if the economy collapses, what will they eat? Pigeons?

Yeah - when I think of freedom I think of Thomas Jefferson and Hank Williams Jr., lol

Brought a tear to my eye. What's next Taylor Swift?

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2017, 06:01 PM by JackCity.)

Cleetus and his hunting rifle will fend off all the heavily armed troops and drones who come to take his guns from his shack.

Just for the record here, I just purchased a new AR15 and can't wait to shoot it.  I love having the freedom to purchase whatever gun I want.  If the government wants to take any of my guns away they will have to pry them from my cold dead hands.

Next on my list is a new 12ga shotgun since the only shotguns I have are bird guns.

Oh, by the way, I renewed my NRA membership as well.

Carry on.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2017, 06:22 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-10-2017, 05:06 PM)The Drifter Wrote: if our economy truly collapses, well, to quote Hank Williams Jr

AND

?????  Laughing It's "run a trotline."  It's basically a bunch of small fishing lines attached to a long main line.

(11-10-2017, 06:00 PM)JackCity Wrote: Cleetus and his hunting rifle will fend off all the heavily armed troops and drones who come to take his guns from his shack.

At least you go down swinging.

(11-10-2017, 04:43 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 02:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, I guess we know who the Loyalist of the board is now.

I try to dumb it down, but when you can't even get basic concepts from American history it's not really surprising why you have no respect for the position of your opponents on this forum. You have little knowledge of history, therefore you don't understand how your ignorance places us all at risk. You are the perfect product of the government education in this country, loudly displaying your lack of command of the facts for all to see. A perfect sheep mewling away your time in the slaughterhouse line.

If you think the US government can easily overtake gun owners if there was an actual civil war, that shows how little you know about combat which explains so much about the stance you choose to take.

(11-10-2017, 08:06 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: If you think the US government can easily overtake gun owners if there was an actual civil war, that shows how little you know about combat which explains so much about the stance you choose to take.

[Image: 200px-FascistGuns.jpg]

(11-10-2017, 06:00 PM)JackCity Wrote: Cleetus and his hunting rifle will fend off all the heavily armed troops and drones who come to take his guns from his shack.

The state of affairs would never arrive at that point in this country. I don't know if you've ever served, but most who haven't believe that service members are unthinking robots who blindly carry out orders. Were the U.S. military tasked with mass confiscation of personally owned firearms in the U.S., it simply wouldn't happen. Turning the military against their own while violating their own beliefs (most are pro gun-rights) would be a fertile breeding ground for widespread insurrection. 

Also, for the record, most gun owners aren't toothless rednecks named Cleetus living in shacks. Do you know why gun ownership is such a stubborn and onerous subject in this country? Because many legal gun owners are registered Democrats. It's true. The lefties value their rights for self protection as much as those dirty conservatives. It's a value most of us agree on.