Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Democratic Presidential Candidates

(04-08-2019, 11:12 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 10:15 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: That is a good point. We have been taxed so much for so long that some actually feel guilty about not being taxed enough.

This is there part where I do my obligatory stand on a table and shout at the wall about why we should be on a strictly consumption-based tax system.

That would require "poor people" who the democratic party depend on as their base to pay their fair share of taxes. Not happening.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-09-2019, 06:55 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 11:18 PM)pirkster Wrote: 100% false.

Lottery winnings?
Inheritance?
Interest?
Rent?
Dividends?
Gambling winnings?
Unemployment benefits?
Child support?
Awards in civil court?

Really?!

Sacrifice = earning as much as putting a shovel in the ground and coming home with a sore back.

(04-09-2019, 06:55 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 11:18 PM)pirkster Wrote: 100% false.

Lottery winnings?
Inheritance?
Interest?
Rent?
Dividends?
Gambling winnings?
Unemployment benefits?
Child support?
Awards in civil court?

Really?!

Windfall not income
Not income and no way it should be taxed
Earned
Earned
Earned
Windfall or earned depending on the circumstances
Insurance payment, not income.
Lol
Earned

You try so hard and fail just as much.

(04-09-2019, 07:33 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 06:55 AM)mikesez Wrote: Lottery winnings?
Inheritance?
Interest?
Rent?
Dividends?
Gambling winnings?
Unemployment benefits?
Child support?
Awards in civil court?

Really?!

Sacrifice = earning as much as putting a shovel in the ground and coming home with a sore back.

Clearly he believes that every breath you take is taxable income. Very Conservative of him.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-09-2019, 07:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
Inheritance?
Interest?
Rent?
Dividends?
Gambling winnings?
Unemployment benefits?
Child support?
Awards in civil court?

Really?!

Windfall not income
Earned
Earned
Earned
Lol
Earned

(04-09-2019, 07:33 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Sacrifice = earning as much as putting a shovel in the ground and coming home with a sore back.

Clearly he believes that every breath you take is taxable income. Very Conservative of him.

I am just thinking of him walking up to a single mother of 4 in Walmart and telling her she hasn't earned her child support payment.

(04-09-2019, 07:27 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 11:12 PM)TJBender Wrote: This is there part where I do my obligatory stand on a table and shout at the wall about why we should be on a strictly consumption-based tax system.

That would require "poor people" who the democratic party depend on as their base to pay their fair share of taxes. Not happening.

God, you sound like such an "elitist". Why don't you just kill all the poor people while you are at it, since you find them so reprehensible? Just out of curiosity, you wouldn't be a member of the Bilderberg group, would you? Or were you the builder of the Georgia Guidestones? That type of philosophy seems right up your alley.

(04-09-2019, 09:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 07:27 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: That would require "poor people" who the democratic party depend on as their base to pay their fair share of taxes. Not happening.

God, you sound like such an "elitist". Why don't you just kill all the poor people while you are at it, since you find them so reprehensible? Just out of curiosity, you wouldn't be a member of the Bilderberg group, would you? Or were you the builder of the Georgia Guidestones? That type of philosophy seems right up your alley.

Wanting everyone to have skin in the game = we should just kill them. Excellent work that.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-09-2019, 09:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 07:27 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: That would require "poor people" who the democratic party depend on as their base to pay their fair share of taxes. Not happening.

Isn't it crazy how both sides of the political spectrum view the concept of everyone paying their fair share of taxes.

(04-09-2019, 07:27 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 11:12 PM)TJBender Wrote: This is there part where I do my obligatory stand on a table and shout at the wall about why we should be on a strictly consumption-based tax system.

The "Fair Tax" plan would send a monthly check (jobs for former IRS employees!) to each citizen representing the sales tax paid by people at the poverty line. If someone is below the poverty line, presumably that would be extra money, if one is above the poverty line and spends at the average rate then he will pay more in taxes than he receives.

Note that non-citizens do not get checks under this plan, so that part of the Democrat party would lose out.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(04-09-2019, 11:28 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:

The "Fair Tax" plan would send a monthly check (jobs for former IRS employees!) to each citizen representing the sales tax paid by people at the poverty line. If someone is below the poverty line, presumably that would be extra money, if one is above the poverty line and spends at the average rate then he will pay more in taxes than he receives.

Note that non-citizens do not get checks under this plan, so that part of the Democrat party would lose out.

I don't even think Fair Tax goes far enough. I don't think that monthly check should be there. 100% consumption-based on all government-recorded sales (with partial or full waivers for things like home sales, medical bills, childcare expenses, etc.). If you make $500k per year and choose to live like you make $60k, you're going to have a wonderful life later on. If you make $35k and choose to spend like you make $60k, well, Uncle Sam's not going to be there for you with a refund check every April.

(04-09-2019, 07:40 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 07:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Windfall not income
Earned
Earned
Earned
Lol
Earned

I am just thinking of him walking up to a single mother of 4 in Walmart and telling her she hasn't earned her child support payment.

Child support scales to the income of the payer, not to the child raising effort put in by the payee.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-09-2019, 11:57 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 07:40 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I am just thinking of him walking up to a single mother of 4 in Walmart and telling her she hasn't earned her child support payment.

Child support scales to the income of the payer, not to the child raising effort put in by the payee.

Would you care to comment on the other 10+ categories you don't consider "earners"?

(04-09-2019, 07:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
Inheritance?
Interest?
Rent?
Dividends?
Gambling winnings?
Unemployment benefits?
Child support?
Awards in civil court?

Really?!

Windfall not income
Earned
Earned
Earned
Lol
Earned

Windfall is a type of income.
You seem to agree with me that not all income is earned.  Now we're just quibbling about which.

(04-09-2019, 12:25 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 07:37 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Windfall not income
Earned
Earned
Earned
Lol
Earned

Windfall is a type of income.
You seem to agree with me that not all income is earned.  Now we're just quibbling about which.

No, I disagree with you that any money that a person gets is income. Windfall from the lottery is not income, it's winnings; it's only considered "income" so the government can take part of it. Gambling might be a profession (earned) or it might be pulling a slot one time (windfall). The same with a lawsuit or child support, neither is really income, but should instead be considered an award.

(04-10-2019, 11:12 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Not a presidential candidate, but still funny.

Ninja Laughing
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(04-09-2019, 02:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 12:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: Windfall is a type of income.

No, I disagree with you that any money that a person gets is income. Windfall from the lottery is not income, it's winnings; it's only considered "income" so the government can take part of it. Gambling might be a profession (earned) or it might be pulling a slot one time (windfall). The same with a lawsuit or child support, neither is really income, but should instead be considered an award.

So a dividend from a stock or a bonus from an employer - are those income in your book?

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2019, 12:47 PM by Kane.)

(04-09-2019, 11:57 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 07:40 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I am just thinking of him walking up to a single mother of 4 in Walmart and telling her she hasn't earned her child support payment.

Truth.

Child support is just another thing the government thought they could fix and control and really just made it worse.
It costs x amount to raise a child.
Unless you make x, then it costs x amount more....
Oh and if you don't pay, we'll suspend your license, so you can't get to work.

Who you procreate with has consequences... sometimes that means having a crappy father for your kid that doesn't want to help.
That's her bad as much as he's a douche for being that way.

How a mother has "earned" child support simply for having a child with a man she (or he) no longer wanted to stay with or never intended to is equal to saying people earn money simply by being alive. Or earn unemployment by not getting a job or getting fired.
Although, I'm not surprised where I'm seeing certain people line up on the issue lol

(04-10-2019, 12:36 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 02:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, I disagree with you that any money that a person gets is income. Windfall from the lottery is not income, it's winnings; it's only considered "income" so the government can take part of it. Gambling might be a profession (earned) or it might be pulling a slot one time (windfall). The same with a lawsuit or child support, neither is really income, but should instead be considered an award.

So a dividend from a stock or a bonus from an employer - are those income in your book?

Personally I believe wages earned from employment shouldn't be taxed.

As wages are not income.

https://www.simpleliberty.org/tait/the_c..._grows.htm

(04-09-2019, 11:28 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:

Note that non-citizens do not get checks under this plan.....

I would endorse that plan.  That's a good plan.  

It'll never happen, of course, but we can always dream...

(04-10-2019, 11:12 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Not a presidential candidate, but still funny.

That L looks exactly like the M next to it. Are there any family members who have a name starting in M?

(04-10-2019, 12:36 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 02:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, I disagree with you that any money that a person gets is income. Windfall from the lottery is not income, it's winnings; it's only considered "income" so the government can take part of it. Gambling might be a profession (earned) or it might be pulling a slot one time (windfall). The same with a lawsuit or child support, neither is really income, but should instead be considered an award.

Of course they are, you already knew that. You just want to be the "money made from investments isn't really work" guy is all.