Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Democratic Presidential Candidates

(06-07-2019, 08:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 08:51 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Even liking Pac and Biggie didn't give her a boost.

She is laying low until crazy Joe falls out of the race. She will be back.

She just needs a platform to go down on, one she can stroke to enlarge her recognition rating and ride like a cowgirl to a primary climax.

old Joe would probably be into that kind of thing, but he doesn't have the kind of discretion that Willie Brown had.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

My theory is that the Dems trotted Old Joe out there not to win the nomination, but to suck all the air out of the room so none of the challengers gains any early headway. They certainly could not leave Sanders as the front runner throughout 2019...his momentum might have been too hard to derail.

The real plan is Hillary or Mobama getting into the race in 2020 after Biden inevitably crashes and burns.

(06-08-2019, 09:49 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: My theory is that the Dems trotted Old Joe out there not to win the nomination, but to suck all the air out of the room so none of the challengers gains any early headway.  They certainly could not leave Sanders as the front runner throughout 2019...his momentum might have been too hard to derail.

The real plan is Hillary or Mobama getting into the race in 2020 after Biden inevitably crashes and burns.

LOL as if they coordinate or plan anything....

(06-08-2019, 10:37 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 09:49 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: My theory is that the Dems trotted Old Joe out there not to win the nomination, but to suck all the air out of the room so none of the challengers gains any early headway.  They certainly could not leave Sanders as the front runner throughout 2019...his momentum might have been too hard to derail.

LOL as if they coordinate or plan anything....

We know how you guys rig things in your party. [BLEEP], you even registered Republican just to influence the primaries for the Dems.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I wouldn't argue that it was coordinated, but there are definitely pieces that are manipulated. I don't get why it's so difficult for some people to grasp how small that world is at the top. The donors have a lot of influence, and there is way more coordination than we tend to think. The theory presented above is a bit of a reach, though.

I definitely think Biden's campaign intentionally put the Creepy Uncle Joe thing out to the public to see if he could weather that storm. There was a reason his intentions were announced, then the news cycle ran the gauntlet, and then he officially announced: He needed to have that bit of his background cleared before entering. It's called politicking, and sometimes you need to get ahead of your opponents worst claims.

I agree with you guys with regards to Kamala. I think she, in theory, should have the most support. But, if I'm getting back to politicking, they are all biding their time. The forerunner rarely wins the nomination. Typically, there is either a candidate so strong that the field draws few contenders. In this scenario, it's fine to start building momentum. However, when the field is large, everyone tends to turn on the top dog. This is the time for the Yang's and Buttigieg's rise. As soon as they get some headway, the big players will start to come in. The goal is to have the most momentum around primary elections. All these campaign advisers know what's up. It should be pretty spectacular once the debates start, though.

(06-08-2019, 06:53 PM)Last42min Wrote: I wouldn't argue that it was coordinated, but there are definitely pieces that are manipulated. I don't get why it's so difficult for some people to grasp how small that world is at the top. The donors have a lot of influence, and there is way more coordination than we tend to think. The theory presented above is a bit of a reach, though.

I definitely think Biden's campaign intentionally put the Creepy Uncle Joe thing out to the public to see if he could weather that storm. There was a reason his intentions were announced, then the news cycle ran the gauntlet, and then he officially announced: He needed to have that bit of his background cleared before entering. It's called politicking, and sometimes you need to get ahead of your opponents worst claims.

I agree with you guys with regards to Kamala. I think she, in theory, should have the most support. But, if I'm getting back to politicking, they are all biding their time. The forerunner rarely wins the nomination. Typically, there is either a candidate so strong that the field draws few contenders. In this scenario, it's fine to start building momentum. However, when the field is large, everyone tends to turn on the top dog. This is the time for the Yang's and Buttigieg's rise. As soon as they get some headway, the big players will start to come in. The goal is to have the most momentum around primary elections. All these campaign advisers know what's up. It should be pretty spectacular once the debates start, though.

+1. The nomination is not won a year before the convention. The candidates laying low and not throwing huge fundraising and campaigning efforts right now are the ones playing their cards right. All a candidate does by getting out front right now is give the rest of the field six months of lead time to figure out how to beat them.

(06-08-2019, 09:21 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 06:53 PM)Last42min Wrote: I wouldn't argue that it was coordinated, but there are definitely pieces that are manipulated. I don't get why it's so difficult for some people to grasp how small that world is at the top. The donors have a lot of influence, and there is way more coordination than we tend to think. The theory presented above is a bit of a reach, though.

+1. The nomination is not won a year before the convention. The candidates laying low and not throwing huge fundraising and campaigning efforts right now are the ones playing their cards right. All a candidate does by getting out front right now is give the rest of the field six months of lead time to figure out how to beat them.

So, what you are telling me is Corey Booker has got this!

According to the polls, the frontrunners in Iowa right now are Biden, then Sanders, Warren, and Buttigieg.

The surprising one is Buttigieg. But from watching him a little, he's an appealing candidate.

Biden was supposedly angling to appeal to the center, but his most recent moves were to say he no longer supports the Hyde Amendment, and then he released a $1.7 TRILLION plan to fight global warming. So he obviously sees that he will have to appeal to the left to get the nomination. Trouble is, if he wants to appeal to the workers in the industrial midwest who switched from Obama to Trump, that very expensive plan to fight global warming threatens a lot of jobs. Fossil fuels- the jobs they create, the products they power- supports millions of jobs.

(06-10-2019, 06:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: According to the polls, the frontrunners in Iowa right now are Biden, then Sanders, Warren, and Buttigieg.  

The surprising one is Buttigieg.  But from watching him a little, he's an appealing candidate.  

Biden was supposedly angling to appeal to the center, but his most recent moves were to say he no longer supports the Hyde Amendment, and then he released a $1.7 TRILLION plan to fight global warming.  So he obviously sees that he will have to appeal to the left to get the nomination.  Trouble is, if he wants to appeal to the workers in the industrial midwest who switched from Obama to Trump, that very expensive plan to fight global warming threatens a lot of jobs.  Fossil fuels- the jobs they create, the products they power- supports millions of jobs.

Buttigieg is a sloganeer. He gives the pat answers and talks around the edges. My guess is he's hoping his age and sexuality will endear him to 'woke' voters.

(06-10-2019, 07:02 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 06:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: According to the polls, the frontrunners in Iowa right now are Biden, then Sanders, Warren, and Buttigieg.  

The surprising one is Buttigieg.  But from watching him a little, he's an appealing candidate.  

Biden was supposedly angling to appeal to the center, but his most recent moves were to say he no longer supports the Hyde Amendment, and then he released a $1.7 TRILLION plan to fight global warming.  So he obviously sees that he will have to appeal to the left to get the nomination.  Trouble is, if he wants to appeal to the workers in the industrial midwest who switched from Obama to Trump, that very expensive plan to fight global warming threatens a lot of jobs.  Fossil fuels- the jobs they create, the products they power- supports millions of jobs.

Buttigieg is a sloganeer. He gives the pat answers and talks around the edges. My guess is he's hoping his age and sexuality will endear him to 'woke' voters.

Alfred E Neuman will not be the first gay president. I would love to hear what TRM finds "appealing" about.

(06-10-2019, 07:47 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 07:02 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Buttigieg is a sloganeer. He gives the pat answers and talks around the edges. My guess is he's hoping his age and sexuality will endear him to 'woke' voters.

Alfred E Neuman will not be the first gay president. I would love to hear what TRM finds "appealing" about.

Well, of course this is a purely subjective judgment, but he appears to be a lot more likable than say, Elizabeth Warren.  In contrast to a lot of the others, his smiles and jokes don't seem to be as forced and fake.   

Besides the relaxed appearance that I see, what Homebiscuit says, "He gives the pat answers and talks around the edges."   That's how politicians get elected.  It's a skill.  Don't be too specific.  Be all things to all people, if possible.  

I just think he's got some political skills and he's got the likability factor.  He's the non-threatening, next-door neighbor kind of guy.  He wears well.  He seems relaxed.   

Don't sell him short, because, even though he's a 37 year old mayor of an insignificant town, he basically tied for 2nd in the Iowa polls.

(06-10-2019, 07:02 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

There was a slot in the race for a young, fresh face who didn't have a long record.  No one would expect him to have specific ideas. I thought O'Rourke was going to take that spot, but Buttigieg has taken it, so far. His status as a minority makes a few voters like him more,  "I must be a nice person after all because I supported a minority to be President." But he's leapfrogged over two black candidates, an Asian, and a Latino, so there's more to his appeal than just that.

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2019, 08:40 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(06-10-2019, 08:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 07:47 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Alfred E Neuman will not be the first gay president. I would love to hear what TRM finds "appealing" about.

Well, of course this is a purely subjective judgment, but he appears to be a lot more likable than say, Elizabeth Warren.  In contrast to a lot of the others, his smiles and jokes don't seem to be as forced and fake.   

Besides the relaxed appearance that I see, what Homebiscuit says, "He gives the pat answers and talks around the edges."   That's how politicians get elected.  It's a skill.  Don't be too specific.  Be all things to all people, if possible.  

I just think he's got some political skills and he's got the likability factor.  He's the non-threatening, next-door neighbor kind of guy.  He wears well.  He seems relaxed.   

Don't sell him short, because, even though he's a 37 year old mayor of an insignificant town, he basically tied for 2nd in the Iowa polls.

I don't disagree that he is more likable than Warren. I mean, who isn't? Not being too specific will get you through a primary, but people expect more detail in a general. The Democratic primary is going to be one for the ages. My only question is, how far left can someone actually go in a primary that makes it impossible to return to the center in the general?

Also, 37 is too young to be president IMO. Not sure what the founders were thinking there.

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2019, 08:46 AM by The Real Marty.)

(06-10-2019, 08:33 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 07:02 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Buttigieg is a sloganeer. He gives the pat answers and talks around the edges. My guess is he's hoping his age and sexuality will endear him to 'woke' voters.

There was a slot in the race for a young, fresh face who didn't have a long record.  No one would expect him to have specific ideas. I thought O'Rourke was going to take that spot, but Buttigieg has taken it, so far. His status as a minority makes a few voters like him more,  "I must be a nice person after all because I supported a minority to be President." But he's leapfrogged over two black candidates, an Asian, and a Latino, so there's more to his appeal than just that.

If you really want to split people up that much, then all of us belong to some kind of minority.   I don't consider gays a "minority" any more than I consider Italian-Americans a minority, or short people, or blondes.  It's just a characteristic that doesn't mean that much to me.

(06-10-2019, 08:36 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 08:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Well, of course this is a purely subjective judgment, but he appears to be a lot more likable than say, Elizabeth Warren.  In contrast to a lot of the others, his smiles and jokes don't seem to be as forced and fake.   

I don't disagree that he is more likable than Warren. I mean, who isn't? Not being too specific will get you through a primary, but people expect more detail in a general. The Democratic primary is going to be one for the ages. My only question is, how far left can someone actually go in a primary that makes it impossible to return to the center in the general?

Also, 37 is too young to be president IMO. Not sure what the founders were thinking there.

Life expectancy was a lot less back then.  37 was considered pretty mature.  

Your question about going left in the primary and getting back to the center in the general is of course one of the most important questions.  That's why putting specific proposals out there can be a big mistake.  The farther a candidate can get without making specific proposals, the better off they will be.

(06-10-2019, 08:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 07:47 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Alfred E Neuman will not be the first gay president. I would love to hear what TRM finds "appealing" about.

The hollow likability will only get him so far before he'll have to come up with some hard answers. Obama had the full support of the MSM and the Hollywood left. His farts could rouse full standing ovations and chants for more. Buttigieg doesn't have that luxury. He'll either have to temper the far left momentum of his party (which he doesn't have the experience or 'gravitas' to accomplish), or join the mania - either at his peril.  

Beta O'Rourke is a characterless moron. He'll say, and do, anything to anyone to get their approval. I once likened him to a juvenile Golden Retriever, and that's exactly what he is. 

I don't see the DNC allowing the mayor to get the nomination. If, by some far outside chance he does, he'll struggle come debate time. Sure, he'll jump on the 'Attack the Orange Man' bandwagon, but that will only get him so far. I give Buttigieg a 15% chance.

(06-10-2019, 08:58 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 08:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Well, of course this is a purely subjective judgment, but he appears to be a lot more likable than say, Elizabeth Warren.  In contrast to a lot of the others, his smiles and jokes don't seem to be as forced and fake.   

The hollow likability will only get him so far before he'll have to come up with some hard answers. Obama had the full support of the MSM and the Hollywood left. His farts could rouse full standing ovations and chants for more. Buttigieg doesn't have that luxury. He'll either have to temper the far left momentum of his party (which he doesn't have the experience or 'gravitas' to accomplish), or join the mania - either at his peril.  

Beta O'Rourke is a characterless moron. He'll say, and do, anything to anyone to get their approval. I once likened him to a juvenile Golden Retriever, and that's exactly what he is. 

I don't see the DNC allowing the mayor to get the nomination. If, by some far outside chance he does, he'll struggle come debate time. Sure, he'll jump on the 'Attack the Orange Man' bandwagon, but that will only get him so far. I give Buttigieg a 15% chance.

All of these candidates are getting introduced at these CNN town hall events.  Obama got introduced to America at a fully packed 20,000 seat arena and national television.  That crowd wasn't there to see him of course, but he took command and sounded like a President right out of the gate.  If any of the 20+ candidates have that kind of gravitas or charisma, fate hasn't given them an opportunity to show it yet.

(06-10-2019, 09:39 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 08:58 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The hollow likability will only get him so far before he'll have to come up with some hard answers. Obama had the full support of the MSM and the Hollywood left. His farts could rouse full standing ovations and chants for more. Buttigieg doesn't have that luxury. He'll either have to temper the far left momentum of his party (which he doesn't have the experience or 'gravitas' to accomplish), or join the mania - either at his peril.  

All of these candidates are getting introduced at these CNN town hall events.  Obama got introduced to America at a fully packed 20,000 seat arena and national television.  That crowd wasn't there to see him of course, but he took command and sounded like a President right out of the gate.  If any of the 20+ candidates have that kind of gravitas or charisma, fate hasn't given them an opportunity to show it yet.

I've stated on this board previously that Obama always conducted himself with the utmost respectability while in office. I stand by that and have nothing personal against the man. However, he worked in rarified protected air. The glurping sounds off camera were a little unsettling whenever the MSM spoke with him or Hollywood and academia spoke of him.

(06-08-2019, 10:37 AM)mikesez Wrote: LOL as if they coordinate or plan anything....

Some people act as if the WikiLeaks DNC dump never happened.

As for 2020, it's an entertaining clown show but the Dems are purposely shooting blanks here. The Obamas and Clintons still call the shots. Hillary is not going to spend 2 years trotting around campaigning. She will enter the race as late as possible if she runs. Same for Mobama, not from a lack of energy but because she's above all that and couldn't fake it with the podunks in Iowa if her life depended on it. She'll have a weekly segment on Oprah and that will be her campaign.

The only one of the clowns I kinda like is Elizabeth Warren. I'm sure that beer was the first one she ever drank, but I'd let her smoke my venison if she cleans up the teepee afterward.

As for Kamala, I wouldn't let her get within 3 blocks of my Tenderloin District.

(06-10-2019, 01:13 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 10:37 AM)mikesez Wrote: LOL as if they coordinate or plan anything....

Some people act as if the WikiLeaks DNC dump never happened.

As for 2020, it's an entertaining clown show but the Dems are purposely shooting blanks here.  The Obamas and Clintons still call the shots.  Hillary is not going to spend 2 years trotting around campaigning.  She will enter the race as late as possible if she runs.  Same for Mobama, not from a lack of energy but because she's above all that and couldn't fake it with the podunks in Iowa if her life depended on it.  She'll have a weekly segment on Oprah and that will be her campaign.  

The only one of the clowns I kinda like is Elizabeth Warren.  I'm sure that beer was the first one she ever drank, but I'd let her smoke my venison if she cleans up the teepee afterward.  

As for Kamala, I wouldn't let her get within 3 blocks of my Tenderloin District.

You think Shillary has the ego to run again? Wonder if she will campaign in Wisconsin this time. Good thing Bill Barr is the AG and can reopen the investigation into her next year if necessary. She should really be in prison.

(06-10-2019, 10:22 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 09:39 AM)mikesez Wrote: All of these candidates are getting introduced at these CNN town hall events.  Obama got introduced to America at a fully packed 20,000 seat arena and national television.  That crowd wasn't there to see him of course, but he took command and sounded like a President right out of the gate.  If any of the 20+ candidates have that kind of gravitas or charisma, fate hasn't given them an opportunity to show it yet.

I've stated on this board previously that Obama always conducted himself with the utmost respectability while in office. I stand by that and have nothing personal against the man. However, he worked in rarified protected air. The glurping sounds off camera were a little unsettling whenever the MSM spoke with him or Hollywood and academia spoke of him.

I agree 100%.