Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How does the Ngakoue situation play out?
This poll is closed.
Ngakoue gets traded before the season starts
15.82%
25 15.82%
Ngakoue gets traded after the season starts but doesn't play for Jags prior
15.19%
24 15.19%
Ngakoue plays for Jags until being traded prior to deadline
12.66%
20 12.66%
Ngakoue signs a long term deal to and plays for the Jags
6.96%
11 6.96%
Ngakoue plays for the Jags on the tag this year
35.44%
56 35.44%
blank #2
3.16%
5 3.16%
corn
10.76%
17 10.76%
Total 158 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Yannick Ngakoue (threads merged)

(05-15-2020, 10:56 AM)Upper Wrote: Covid is probably not helping either. The NBA already said expect the salary cap to be down 15-20% next year. NFL will probably drop significantly too. It's an extra treacherous time for a team to trade for a guy that's about to get a big payday.

I would bet that NFL salary cap will probably still increase.  The TV ratings are going to own everything and be blockbuster bananas.  NFL wants to push up TV contracts as well.  They are in a much different position than the NBA or MLB.

All that typed...  it still could be really messy.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-15-2020, 11:33 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 10:56 AM)Upper Wrote: Covid is probably not helping either. The NBA already said expect the salary cap to be down 15-20% next year. NFL will probably drop significantly too. It's an extra treacherous time for a team to trade for a guy that's about to get a big payday.

I would bet that NFL salary cap will probably still increase.  The TV ratings are going to own everything and be blockbuster bananas.  NFL wants to push up TV contracts as well.  They are in a much different position than the NBA or MLB.

All that typed...  it still could be really messy.

The TV deal doesn't expire until after 2022 so if the ratings did skyrocket it still wouldn't matter until then. It's true that the NFL is more insulated than the other sports because the TV deals are a larger part of total revenue, but in stadium revenue is still enough that it could easily affect the cap in the short term.

(05-15-2020, 08:19 AM)ATLjag Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 01:56 PM)p_rushing Wrote: playoff teams generally don't have millions in cap space needed for the trade, it is $1 million per game basically

A team trading anything of value for Yan would likely not do the trade unless they have come to an agreement with Yan on a new long term deal.  A playoff team can work the structure of the deal to make this year minimal on their cap if needed.

Exactly. Teams making a playoff push that needs another piece or needs to replace an injured starter make this kind of a move from time to time so it's not impossible.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I would welcome Yan back with open arms. I don't hold his rants against him. he did what he thought he needed to do to get out and it didn't work. I expect Yan to have his best ever year as a Jag and then get his money next year. The Jags won't franchise him again because then they would have to pay him QB money and no player is worth that, that isn't a QB.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Ngakoue's value per si writer George Logue and his accumulated sources:

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/base...oues-value

(05-28-2020, 06:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Ngakoue's value per si writer George Logue and his accumulated sources:

That was a fair break down and I agree with him.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-28-2020, 06:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Ngakoue's value per si writer George Logue and his accumulated sources:

He is saying that good pass protectors are more valuable than good pass rushers, and that good cornerbacks are also more valuable than good pass rushers.

The statistical argument is interesting, but it is only a correlation.

I think the correlation exists because game-changing talent is more rare, looking at O-line and CB. But it doesn't follow to "therefore you should spend more money on one of those." There might not be a game changing talents available.  They're rare, by definition.  Is one available at this time? No.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Pretty much how i felt, 15-17/year is what I valued him as. I think 19 is a hair high, but also could be seen as a fair compromise from actual value(17) to his asking price (22). Yann is absolutely nuts to want Donald money without the production to warrant it. Makes complete sense now why teams were not willing to deal for Yan. I think he may just bite the bullet and play under the tag, which is going to be really exciting to see with Allen and Chaisson.

Good article that really breaks down the variables to make fair comparisons. 

That table also highlights what every aspiring DE should strive for to be the best and get paid accordingly; Khalil Mack is a straight up horse. Good lord look at those numbers. Not just in the spotlighted arena of sacks and forced fumbles, but the amount of play and number of tackles. What a stud.

(05-28-2020, 09:18 PM)Dimson Wrote:

That was a fair break down and I agree with him.

It's a rational analysis although subjectively, 18m/year feels a *little* bit high but at least it's in the right ballpark. If he signed for that for say 4 years, it would be hard to complain.

(05-29-2020, 06:38 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Good article that really breaks down the variables to make fair comparisons. 

That table also highlights what every aspiring DE should strive for to be the best and get paid accordingly; Khalil Mack is a straight up horse. Good lord look at those numbers. Not just in the spotlighted arena of sacks and forced fumbles, but the amount of play and number of tackles. What a stud.

And Caldwell took Bortles instead LOL
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Good read. Agree with the sentiment, he isn't worth more than $18 million.

So the Jags were doing him a total solid when they offered him 19 million per and a year early on top of it.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2020, 10:30 AM by The Real Marty.)

If he's worth $18 million to the Jaguars, then he is worth a lot less than that to another team, because another team would have the additional cost of trading draft picks for him.

(05-29-2020, 10:06 AM)Jagwired Wrote: So the Jags were doing him a total solid when they offered him 19 million per and a year early on top of it.

Yes, we were doing him a solid.  But I wonder if the fact that we were unable to get that point across says anything about Coughlin, or Caldwell, or whoever was tasked with getting that point across to him.  Giving a guy a great offer is nice, but failing to get him to see that raises additional questions about the people who are presenting the offer.

Ngakoue camp needs to sign the tender, put up better numbers, and look to bigger coin next season.

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2020, 10:39 AM by homebiscuit.)

(05-29-2020, 10:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If he's worth $18 million to the Jaguars, then he is worth a lot less than that to another team, because another team would have the additional cost of trading draft picks for him.

(05-29-2020, 10:06 AM)Jagwired Wrote: So the Jags were doing him a total solid when they offered him 19 million per and a year early on top of it.

Yes, we were doing him a solid.  But I wonder if the fact that we were unable to get that point across says anything about Coughlin, or Caldwell, or whoever was tasked with getting that point across to him.  Giving a guy a great offer is nice, but failing to get him to see that raises additional questions about the people who are presenting the offer.

Yes, let’s blame the Jaguars organization for Ngakoue’s inability, or unwillingness, to see a good deal for himself. 

This logic completely escapes me.

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2020, 07:12 PM by Jagwired.)

(05-29-2020, 10:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
JagwiredSo the Jags were doing him a total solid when they offered him 19 million per and a year early on top of it.

I see no need to wonder. It's the old thing of "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink". If there is blame to be had I would definitely lay it at the feet of Yann or more likely his sorry [BLEEP] agent. They simply over valued themselves. Once Yann had to play for two million vs. 19 million last year anger got the best of him.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I would welcome Yannick back with open arms. But, I'd rather have a #1 pick. Both options are good. Yannick holding out? Bad.

Can we lock this thread until he's traded or plays?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(05-30-2020, 02:44 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Can we lock this thread until he's traded or plays?

Naaaah...