Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Joe Biden's America

(04-15-2022, 09:51 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 09:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: https://youtu.be/_59agcnLAj4

Maybe he was channeling his inner Eastwood and shaking hands with an invisible Obama.

He wasn't shaking hands.  A handout is the new official symbol of the Democratic party.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Well done.

Dear God, help us.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1516092382877470724

(04-18-2022, 05:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Dear God, help us.

If we need a fictitious creature in costume to save our President from doing stupid [BLEEP], then absolutely…Dear God, help is.   But I think most of us should have already known that.  We’ll, almost most.

(04-18-2022, 07:20 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-18-2022, 05:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Dear God, help us.

If we need a fictitious creature in costume to save our President from doing stupid [BLEEP], then absolutely…Dear God, help is.   But I think most of us should have already known that.  We’ll, almost most.

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

-Douglas Adams, 1979
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2022, 08:03 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-18-2022, 07:59 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-18-2022, 07:20 PM)Jags Wrote: If we need a fictitious creature in costume to save our President from doing stupid [BLEEP], then absolutely…Dear God, help is.   But I think most of us should have already known that.  We’ll, almost most.

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

-Douglas Adams, 1979

You know what helps me sleep better at night? I pretend that we have a made up fictitious person running our country.  And sadly, I think I’m right.

To the Biden voters. It's clear that Biden is not running the country. We know Kamala isn't running it. So, I ask you... who is?

(04-18-2022, 08:14 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: To the Biden voters. It's clear that Biden is not running the country. We know Kamala isn't running it. So, I ask you... who is?

Its possible Bush 41 knew enough about where the bodies were buried to actually run the executive branch as he saw fit.  Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.  Other than him, the executive branch has been a set of more or less explicitly independent authorities since Watergate.  
Biden is running things, sort of.  If they bring him a question, he answers.  But bureaucracy can direct itself for a while before it needs new direction, and the cabinet officials have plenty of authority to direct without asking Biden new questions.
It was similar under Trump.  The departments can coast on autopilot for years until there's a crisis.  As we saw when COVID hit.

Obama is behind the scenes.

(04-18-2022, 08:14 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: To the Biden voters. It's clear that Biden is not running the country. We know Kamala isn't running it. So, I ask you... who is?

I expect Jill has an unprecedented degree of influence.

(04-19-2022, 06:34 AM)Sneakers Wrote:

I expect Jill has an unprecedented degree of influence.

Oh how quickly we forget Bill Clinton. Hillary was President during his tenure. He was busy raping women.

(04-19-2022, 09:51 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-19-2022, 06:34 AM)Sneakers Wrote: I expect Jill has an unprecedented degree of influence.

Oh how quickly we forget Bill Clinton. Hillary was President during his tenure. He was busy raping women.

Ronnie had Alzheimer's by the last two years of his term. Likewise Edith Wilson ran the Country once Woodrow had his stroke.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2022, 11:39 AM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-19-2022, 09:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-19-2022, 09:51 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Oh how quickly we forget Bill Clinton. Hillary was President during his tenure. He was busy raping women.

Ronnie had Alzheimer's by the last two years of his term. Likewise Edith Wilson ran the Country once Woodrow had his stroke.

Right.  They didn't invoke the 25th for Reagan because he wasn't protesting while Bush 41 basically ran things. 
I knew Wilson had a stroke, but I assumed someone other than his wife picked up the slack.
I also wonder how capable FDR was in the last months of his life, and was Nancy running things? Maybe.

But to answer the question it's obvious that Kamala isn't running much, and I don't think Jill is, either. I think it's simply each cabinet official has more autonomy than usual. And they have a lot under usual circumstances.

Thanks. Now you know what I'm referring to from here on out when I mention the deep state. It's the unelected body that has been running the show since Biden was elected, and, to some degree, every president since at least Kennedy.

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2022, 03:00 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-19-2022, 12:00 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Thanks. Now you know what I'm referring to from here on out when I mention the deep state. It's the unelected body that has been running the show since Biden was elected, and, to some degree, every president since at least Kennedy.

The "deep state" is a natural result of a government that covers such a wide area and regulates so many things that it can't be managed by one person. Many people were aware of this before Trump came and gave it a name and said it was a problem.
Your reaction is probably, "the government should be involved in less things, so that one person can manage it."
But that wasn't Trump's reaction.  Trump's reaction was, "people should just do what I say, even if they think it's illegal.". He wanted more power, not less.
And by the way, most of them are elected, by the elected President and elected Senate.

No, most of them are not.

(04-19-2022, 04:22 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: No, most of them are not.

They are though.  It's hard to fire federal employees, but it's pretty easy to reassign them.  If the President appoints a new boss for you and you don't play ball, you'll find yourself in a less influential position in a different department fairly quickly.

(04-18-2022, 08:02 PM)Jags Wrote: You know what helps me sleep better at night? I pretend that we have a made up fictitious person running our country.  And sadly, I think I’m right.

Fantasizing about a fictitious person while you're in bed is fine, but NOT about running the country.   No wonder your wife keeps calling me.  Laughing

(04-19-2022, 07:52 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-19-2022, 04:22 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: No, most of them are not.

They are though.  It's hard to fire federal employees, but it's pretty easy to reassign them.  If the President appoints a new boss for you and you don't play ball, you'll find yourself in a less influential position in a different department fairly quickly.

No. At best, .1% of our federal employees are appointed or elected. Combine that with the policy makers that are part of the government-corporate carousel, and you have a permanent group of ruling class elites that set our policy, even when our President is an incompetent buffoon.

(04-19-2022, 08:57 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(04-18-2022, 08:02 PM)Jags Wrote: You know what helps me sleep better at night? I pretend that we have a made up fictitious person running our country.  And sadly, I think I’m right.

Fantasizing about a fictitious person while you're in bed is fine, but NOT about running the country.   No wonder your wife keeps calling me.  Laughing
She’s been known to get jealous over silly things.  She must think your a fictitious person.  She didn’t threaten to kick your [BLEEP] or put the cat in the mailbox did she?