Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wilson > Lawrence

No reputable NFL person has every advocated trading away the first pick or not selecting Trevor.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-01-2021, 08:30 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 06:49 PM)D6 Wrote: Vic's answer to the question makes practically no sense.  Including what you mentioned regarding Terry Bradshaw, Vic's take appears like the polar opposite of how he would have answered a question like this in past years.

I have no idea what the 1971? 72? darft looked like, was there a glut of QB? I think the entirety of his argument is that it's not Tlaw at 1 and then a gradual decline as you get down into 6, 7, 8 range - it's that you have TLaw at 1, and then 6 or so viable QB who may be ranked 2 or 3, or even 1b. I don't agree with that, and I think we have settled on QB way too long as a franchise. We have the opportunity to take our pick, let's do it. 7 first rounders won't mean a thing if we settle for a flawed QB that doesn't pan out, a la Gabbert, Bort, Lefty.

What you expressed is the central part of why I think it would be too risky for the Jaguars to trade down for another QB.  Other than Trevor Lawrence,  it's not difficult to envision each QB ( when looked at individually ) in the 2021 NFL Draft crop projected in Round 1, not coming close to living up to the spot he's eventually drafted in.

(04-01-2021, 08:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Well, here's his answers. Not that it really matters, but I was just curious as to what his reasoning was. To me, it appears he wants Trevor in Carolina because he now lives is South Carolina. Maybe someone more charitable might want to interpret it. 

Richard from St. Augustine, FL
Always have loved your dry humor. Gotta think your comment about four ones for Trevor Lawrence was just that, because after about 25 years of reading, I have never seen you imply any player worth four ones. Will you come clean, regarding if you're serious?
I was being serious. Lawrence's value to Carolina is immense. His Clemson roots would give the Panthers a presence in South Carolina they've never enjoyed. Lawrence would truly make the Panthers a two-states regional franchise.

[font=Aller]John from Jacksonville, FL[/font]
[font=Aller]You've made it abundantly clear Jacksonville should not draft Trevor Lawrence. Why?[/font]
Lawrence is the logical first pick of the draft. I get it. So why would I consider trading the pick? It's because Lawrence is so coveted he could deliver a treasure trove of picks in a trade the Jags could use to build a dominant roster, and I attach more value to that than I do to a quarterback in what appears to be a deep crop of them. Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler will be next year's stars. I get the sense we're headed for a long run of talent at quarterback. Spread offenses nearly guarantee it.

Thanks for providing the Q & A info.

One thing in particular I believe is the case is if Vic was still employed by the Jaguars, he wouldn't have made these suggestions.  He's basically suggesting that the Panthers should pursue the benefits that Trevor Lawrence would provide in expanding their fan base but the Jaguars shouldn't do the same regarding their fan base.

(04-01-2021, 03:20 PM)D6 Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 08:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Well, here's his answers. Not that it really matters, but I was just curious as to what his reasoning was. To me, it appears he wants Trevor in Carolina because he now lives is South Carolina. Maybe someone more charitable might want to interpret it. 

Richard from St. Augustine, FL
Always have loved your dry humor. Gotta think your comment about four ones for Trevor Lawrence was just that, because after about 25 years of reading, I have never seen you imply any player worth four ones. Will you come clean, regarding if you're serious?
I was being serious. Lawrence's value to Carolina is immense. His Clemson roots would give the Panthers a presence in South Carolina they've never enjoyed. Lawrence would truly make the Panthers a two-states regional franchise.

[font=Aller]John from Jacksonville, FL[/font]
[font=Aller]You've made it abundantly clear Jacksonville should not draft Trevor Lawrence. Why?[/font]
Lawrence is the logical first pick of the draft. I get it. So why would I consider trading the pick? It's because Lawrence is so coveted he could deliver a treasure trove of picks in a trade the Jags could use to build a dominant roster, and I attach more value to that than I do to a quarterback in what appears to be a deep crop of them. Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler will be next year's stars. I get the sense we're headed for a long run of talent at quarterback. Spread offenses nearly guarantee it.

Thanks for providing the Q & A info.

One thing in particular I believe is the case is if Vic was still employed by the Jaguars, he wouldn't have made these suggestions.  He's basically suggesting that the Panthers should pursue the benefits that Trevor Lawrence would provide in expanding their fan base but the Jaguars shouldn't do the same regarding their fan base.

One way street going the direction he personally wants it to go.  Ignore him.

He’s thinks there isn’t that much difference between TLaw and the guys below him. Vic also like Jones. I disagree with him, you take Lawrence, the jags cannot afford to screw this up, and if they trade him and end up looking like they did last year again, the pushback would be enormous. A swing and miss on that level is franchise killing for us at this point.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 08:15 AM by Mikey.)

(04-01-2021, 09:40 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 08:30 AM)Mikey Wrote: I have no idea what the 1971? 72? darft looked like, was there a glut of QB? I think the entirety of his argument is that it's not Tlaw at 1 and then a gradual decline as you get down into 6, 7, 8 range - it's that you have TLaw at 1, and then 6 or so viable QB who may be ranked 2 or 3, or even 1b. I don't agree with that, and I think we have settled on QB way too long as a franchise. We have the opportunity to take our pick, let's do it. 7 first rounders won't mean a thing if we settle for a flawed QB that doesn't pan out, a la Gabbert, Bort, Lefty.

Steelers won the coin flip with the Bears for the #1 overall.
QB Mike Phipps of Purdue was the Zac Wilson of that draft.

Steelers select Bradshaw and go on to become a dynasty.  While the Bears went on to 15 years of losing.
Bears traded down with Green Bay and Green Bay selected DT Mike McCoy.

Cleveland Browns traded up with the Dolphins to grab Zac ... Mike Phipps at #3. They sent All Pro WR Paul Warfield to the Dolphins to help establish that Dolphins dynasty.

Phipps was a bust in Cleveland but Bears were still in love with him so traded a #1 pick for Phipps 7 years later.  That #1 turned out to be Ozzie Newsome.
Phipps lasted a couple years before Ditka came in and cleaned house and got rid of losing culture players like Phipps.

.....so you're saying we could have the next Kyle Pitts in 7 years if we take Wilson? I'M SOLD

(04-01-2021, 09:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 08:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: He becomes sarcastic if you disagree with him. 

Jimmy from Vero Beach, FL
Vic, I'm wondering if you've had a change in philosophy because you feel it's never been easier to play QB in the NFL, or if you dislike something in Lawrence's game. Having "The Man" seems like the most important factor in long-term success. Also, no team has 100 percent success rate in picking the right players. The Jaguars have been especially bad at it. Even if we hit on all four, having four good players vs. a great QB doesn't seem like an even trade.
OK, I surrender. Lawrence must be the pick.

Ask Vic - Blog

Egads!

His logic is more horrific than I imagined!

Lawrence making Carolina a truly regional team?

Who the [BLEEP] cares?!?

We have zero obligation to help make Carolina a regional team. 

Revenue sharing is how teams help each other.  Beyond that, the Jaguars have no obligation to help any other team.

Truth be told, this team has been way too helpful to other teams over the years.

The Jaguars helped the Patriots by passing on Brady in 2000.

The Jaguars helped his Steelers by passing on Big Ben in 2004.

The Jaguars helped his Packers by passing on Rodgers in 2005.

The Jaguars helped the Saints by not pursuing Drew Brees in 2006.

The Jaguars helped Seattle by passing on Russell Wilson for a punter in 2012.

The Jaguars helped the Chiefs by passing on Patrick Mahomes in 2017, and helped the Texans by passing on DeShaun Watson the same year.

Now he wants us to trade away Lawrence to help Carolina become a regional team?

Screw Carolina and Screw Ketchman!

simply put, 4 picks ain't worth the drop in floor among the QB available. IF NYJ makes the offer, I think, but likely pass nonetheless.

(04-02-2021, 08:14 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 09:40 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: Steelers won the coin flip with the Bears for the #1 overall.

Steelers select Bradshaw and go on to become a dynasty.  While the Bears went on to 15 years of losing.

Cleveland Browns traded up with the Dolphins to grab Zac ... Mike Phipps at #3. They sent All Pro WR Paul Warfield to the Dolphins to help establish that Dolphins dynasty.

Phipps was a bust in Cleveland but Bears were still in love with him so traded a #1 pick for Phipps 7 years later.  That #1 turned out to be Ozzie Newsome.
Phipps lasted a couple years before Ditka came in and cleaned house and got rid of losing culture players like Phipps.

.....so you're saying we could have the next Kyle Pitts in 7 years if we take Wilson? I'M SOLD

(04-01-2021, 09:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Egads!

Who the [BLEEP] cares?!?

Revenue sharing is how teams help each other.  Beyond that, the Jaguars have no obligation to help any other team.

Truth be told, this team has been way too helpful to other teams over the years.

The Jaguars helped the Chiefs by passing on Patrick Mahomes in 2017, and helped the Texans by passing on DeShaun Watson the same year.

simply put, 4 picks ain't worth the drop in floor among the QB available. IF NYJ makes the offer, I think, but likely pass nonetheless.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. There are no amount of picks I would trade for Lawrence. I’m only trading him for Mahomes.

It has taken this team 25+ years to find a QB the caliber of Lawrence. Now could he still not pan out? Sure. But there’s a reason he’s being grouped with Elway and Manning.

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 09:10 AM by Bullseye.)

(04-01-2021, 09:40 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: Steelers won the coin flip with the Bears for the #1 overall.

Who the [BLEEP] cares?!?

Exactly...and I certainly don't do a deal with Carolina.  They would start winning before the Jets.

(04-02-2021, 08:21 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 08:14 AM)Mikey Wrote: .....so you're saying we could have the next Kyle Pitts in 7 years if we take Wilson? I'M SOLD

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. There are no amount of picks I would trade for Lawrence. I’m only trading him for Mahomes.

It has taken this team 25+ years to find a QB the caliber of Lawrence. Now could he still not pan out? Sure. But there’s a reason he’s being grouped with Elway and Manning.

Exactly.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Who the [BLEEP] cares?!?

You never want to be that team that passed up on Michael Jordan cause Sam Bowie had "more upside"

We have the first pick which will yield Trevor. We have picks 25 33 and 45 which will yield 3 additional good players. ALL the other teams and their sports writers desire these assets. They will between now and the draft do EVERYTHING possible to get them from us. They will couch this influence by all kinds of arguments. The latest is trading 3 high quality picks, #25, 33 and 45 to move up to get ONE player or trade the #1 pick to get more picks at a later date because we have so many needs. First, if we have that many needs why trade 3 quality picks for one guy. Ignore these guys. Draft Trevor with #1, then draft the best 3 players with the next 3 picks. That is 4 positions we should be able to solidify. We still have a lot of cap space and there should be 2 more waves of players being released. One after the draft as teams struggle to stay under the cap while signing their draft class.....

(04-02-2021, 09:14 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 08:14 AM)Mikey Wrote: .....so you're saying we could have the next Kyle Pitts in 7 years if we take Wilson? I'M SOLD

You never want to be that team that passed up on Michael Jordan cause Sam Bowie had "more upside"

Tell me about it.

Looking at the list of guys we passed up, that equated to NINETEEN (19) Super Bowl appearances and THIRTEEN (13) Super Bowl wins between those signal callers.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-02-2021, 11:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 09:14 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: You never want to be that team that passed up on Michael Jordan cause Sam Bowie had "more upside"

Tell me about it.

Looking at the list of guys we passed up, that equated to NINETEEN (19) Super Bowl appearances and THIRTEEN (13) Super Bowl wins between those signal callers.

Gawd, that's depressing. Especially considering how awfully, terribly BAD we have been. It almost seems intentional.

I think the dumbest mock draft scenario is from this clown Matthew Tabeeks mock from Atlanta's website.

"MOCK TRADE

Texans receive: No. 1 overall (2021), No. 25 overall (2021), second-round pick (2022), second-round pick (2023)
Jaguars receive: QB Deshaun Watson, No. 100 overall (2021)
Houston Texans: I get all the reasons why a Texans-Jaguars trade might not work.

They're division rivals.
The asking price might be too high.
The Jags aren't on Watson's preferred list.
The Jags might think Trevor Lawrence will be just as good.
Watson's agent, David Mulugheta, also represents Jalen Ramsey.
And on and on ...
But maybe, just maybe, it could work.

And if there's a team that has the draft capital to make it happen, it's Jacksonville. The Jags currently hold 11 picks in this coming draft. And for a trade to work, it has to make sense for both sides. In this scenario the Texans unload a player who never wants to play a single down again for them and, in return, they get the top-rated prospect in this class who many think will be special at the next level. Just like Watson. You see? Win-win."
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(04-02-2021, 03:35 PM)Ronster Wrote: I think the dumbest mock draft scenario is from this clown Matthew Tabeeks mock from Atlanta's website.

"MOCK TRADE

Texans receive: No. 1 overall (2021), No. 25 overall (2021), second-round pick (2022), second-round pick (2023)
Houston Texans: I get all the reasons why a Texans-Jaguars trade might not work.

They're division rivals.
And on and on ...

And if there's a team that has the draft capital to make it happen, it's Jacksonville. The Jags currently hold 11 picks in this coming draft. And for a trade to work, it has to make sense for both sides. In this scenario the Texans unload a player who never wants to play a single down again for them and, in return, they get the top-rated prospect in this class who many think will be special at the next level. Just like Watson. You see? Win-win."
BOYCOOOOOOOOOOT

(04-02-2021, 03:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 03:35 PM)Ronster Wrote: I think the dumbest mock draft scenario is from this clown Matthew Tabeeks mock from Atlanta's website.

"MOCK TRADE

They're division rivals.
And on and on ...

BOYCOOOOOOOOOOT
This trade is dumb for so many reasons...
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 04:12 PM by RicoTx.)

(04-02-2021, 03:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

"MOCK TRADE

They're division rivals.
And on and on ...

BOYCOOOOOOOOOOT

I'm a little concerned about Lawrence now if Ronster likes him.  After all, we were all 'idiots' for not liking our Super Bowl MVP quarterback.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-02-2021, 03:59 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 03:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: BOYCOOOOOOOOOOT

I'm a little concerned about Lawrence now if Ronster likes him.  After all, we were all 'idiots' for not liking out Super Bowl MVP quarterback.

Just one more to add to the ignore list.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(04-02-2021, 04:05 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 03:59 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I'm a little concerned about Lawrence now if Ronster likes him.  After all, we were all 'idiots' for not liking out Super Bowl MVP quarterback.

Oh noooooooooooo.....
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-02-2021, 04:05 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 03:59 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I'm a little concerned about Lawrence now if Ronster likes him.  After all, we were all 'idiots' for not liking out Super Bowl MVP quarterback.

Awwww waaaaaaah.

(04-02-2021, 12:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 11:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Tell me about it.

Gawd, that's depressing. Especially considering how awfully, terribly BAD we have been. It almost seems intentional.
You guys didn't know?  "Diamond" Dave Caldwell was an awesome GM!   Sick
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]