Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wilson > Lawrence

I can see it now. After the first game when Wilson happens to perform better than Lawrence.

"See! I told you! Lawrence is a bust. We should have drafted Wilson."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2021, 11:00 AM by The Real Marty.)

(04-16-2021, 10:52 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 10:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Several things about your post are not true. 

First of all, it isn't "a lot of" talking heads.  It's one or two that expressed some concern about it, and I don't recall any of them saying they wouldn't draft him number one overall. 

Secondly, he didn't say he could walk away from football and be content.  That was a former high school coach that speculated about that.

What he did say was, he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder and he can't manufacture one.  And why would he?  Has anyone ever doubted him or told him he wasn't the best?  It would be ridiculous for him to have a chip on his shoulder.

Both Skip and Shannon said it and I am pretty sure Cowherd said it too. It is a legit concern if you look for guys who are football junkies and only care about winning and nothing else. His coach did say it but he has known him for years and probably has a good insight into how he thinks. 
Me personally, I am still taking Trevor but I could see it being a concern for others.

Cowherd did not say that.  Cowherd said he initially had some concern about it, but he thought about it and decided it wasn't really important.  Cowherd said Mahomes doesn't have a chip on his shoulder, either.  

Michael Jordan made up incidents where he was supposedly insulted in order to motivate himself.  Created incidents that never happened, out of thin air.  Is that really necessary?  

This is all pre-draft [BLEEP].  They've run out of things to talk about, so they want to start tearing down Trevor Lawrence.  Well guess what?  He doesn't care.

And besides, if he got to where he was without a chip on his shoulder, imagine how great he'll be when these guys finally piss him off.

We should manufacture more concerns.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-02-2021, 09:14 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 07:58 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: You guys didn't know?  "Diamond" Dave Caldwell was an awesome GM!   Sick

Caldwell deserves his share of blame for passing on those signal callers, but by no means all of the blame.

This list dates back to 2000, so EVERY GM in our history deserves some blame for passing on a signal caller.

TC passed on Brady.

Shack passed on Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers.

Gene Smith passed on Russell Wilson.

Caldwell/TC passed on Watson and Mahomes.

It's complete organizational failure at the QB position, and the results speak for themselves.
There are a lot of things that TC can be blamed for (salary cap mess in his first time with the Jags and poor drafting and poor player relations in his second and yes, passing on Watson and Mahomes), but I am not going to place any blame on him for passing on Tom Brady.  Every team passed on Brady through 5 rounds of the draft and well into the 6th round.  It's not like the Patriots picked him with the 199th pick and thought Championship!  Belichick drafted Brady, saw him in 2 complete training camps and pre-seasons and still thought Drew Bledsoe was a better QB.  Who knows how things would have played out had Bledsoe not been injured early in the 2001 season.  I'm sure Brady would have eventually started in N.E. or elsewhere - but if he had left N.E. after his rookie contract because he wasn't playing, would he have had the same career somewhere else?

Same goes for Gene Smith passing on Russell Wilson.  While it was incredibly stupid to take a punter in the 3rd round and more was expected from Wilson coming out than Brady, Every team passed on Wilson at least twice - including the team that eventually drafted him.  Smith was too set on trying to prove he was smarter than the rest of the league by taking small school players well before they should have been selected.

When you look at our GMs from the beginning of the franchise to now, IMO Caldwell is closer to the top of the list than he is to the bottom...but I think that says more about our GMs over the years than it does about Caldwell.

Lawrence almost killed a dude playing pickup basketball..... I think he’s plenty competitive.

Lebron seems to be doing just fine without a chip on his shoulder. Same with Crosby, Curry, Durant.... Colin said it best “you don’t have to be mad at the world to be great.”

As a Seminole fan, I've watched TL for three years. His freshman year, he beat out the guy who was expected to start, then won the national championship that year. TL is tough. All the Jags need to do is make sure they give him enough weapons and protection.

(04-16-2021, 12:01 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: As a Seminole fan, I've watched TL for three years. His freshman year, he beat out the guy who was expected to start, then won the national championship that year.  TL is tough.  All the Jags need to do is make sure they give him enough weapons and protection.

As a person that has cable tv, I also watched TL a lot over the past 3 years.

(04-16-2021, 12:01 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: As a Seminole fan, I've watched TL for three years. His freshman year, he beat out the guy who was expected to start, then won the national championship that year.  TL is tough.  All the Jags need to do is make sure they give him enough weapons and protection.

As a person that has cable tv, I also watched TL a lot over the past 3 years.

(04-16-2021, 10:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Several things about your post are not true. 

First of all, it isn't "a lot of" talking heads.  It's one or two that expressed some concern about it, and I don't recall any of them saying they wouldn't draft him number one overall. 

Secondly, he didn't say he could walk away from football and be content.  That was a former high school coach that speculated about that.

What he did say was, he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder and he can't manufacture one.  And why would he?  Has anyone ever doubted him or told him he wasn't the best?  It would be ridiculous for him to have a chip on his shoulder.

Both Skip and Shannon said it and I am pretty sure Cowherd said it too. It is a legit concern if you look for guys who are football junkies and only care about winning and nothing else. His coach did say it but he has known him for years and probably has a good insight into how he thinks. 
Me personally, I am still taking Trevor but I could see it being a concern for others.

NFL teams will have no concern here.  These comments were intended as a compliment and have been twisted and turned out of context in order to spin a negative story.

You just named three of the media people that are most clueless so yeah, I think we'll be fine.

(04-16-2021, 01:15 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 10:52 AM)Dimson Wrote: Both Skip and Shannon said it and I am pretty sure Cowherd said it too. It is a legit concern if you look for guys who are football junkies and only care about winning and nothing else. His coach did say it but he has known him for years and probably has a good insight into how he thinks. 

You just named three of the media people that are most clueless so yeah, I think we'll be fine.

Not only that, but Cowherd didn't say it.  Cowherd said that what Trevor said was fine with him.

(04-16-2021, 10:04 AM)Dimson Wrote: After the interview where Trevor admits his life is not 100% football and even his high school coach says he could walk away from football tomorrow and be fine, do you consider taking Wilson over Trevor. Wilson is a well known football geek and spends hours upon hours studying and breaking down tape of his game and his future opponents. Or do you stick with Trevor no matter what just do to his talent and potential?

No.

Just no.

(04-16-2021, 10:52 AM)Dimson Wrote: Both Skip and Shannon said it and I am pretty sure Cowherd said it too. It is a legit concern if you look for guys who are football junkies and only care about winning and nothing else. His coach did say it but he has known him for years and probably has a good insight into how he thinks. 

Because when I want serious discussion about sporps, those are the guys I am going to.

their job is banter in the name of selling ads/getting ratings. they will tell you they believe the sky is plaid if they know it will make you tune in.

I just threw it out there. I don't care who said it. It is definitely something to make you possibly second guess your pick.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-16-2021, 10:24 PM)Dimson Wrote: I just threw it out there. I don't care who said it. It is definitely something to make you possibly second guess your pick.

Lol, no.

(04-16-2021, 10:50 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 10:24 PM)Dimson Wrote: I just threw it out there. I don't care who said it. It is definitely something to make you possibly second guess your pick.

Lol, no.

Lol, yes.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-16-2021, 11:21 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 10:50 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Lol, no.

Lol, yes.

Lol, maybe.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2021, 05:41 AM by The Real Marty.)

Since someone keeps saying Colin Cowherd was concerned about what Trevor said about not having a chip on his shoulder, here's what Colin Cowherd actually said:  

"There's a lot of different ways to win, and you don't have to have a chip [on your shoulder] to do it."  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyfaB_RXcWg

I mean, why would he have a chip on his shoulder? He’s been praised and extremely successful his entire football life. If anything it would be weird if he did. There are zero red flags with him, the press generally don’t want him in Duval, so they’re creating problems out of nothing. Personally I’m absolutely stoked that he’ll be our QB for the next 15-20 years. He seems like a really cool, mature , and down to earth guy, not to mention he’s incredible at playing QB

I'm just amazed anyone gives a rat's [BLEEP] about what Colin Cowherd has to say.