Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tim Tebow- Jags new TE (merged)

(05-29-2021, 12:20 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-23-2021, 09:14 AM)Pendragon Wrote: Amazing.  Tebow took over for Kyle Orton when the Broncos were 1-4 (2011).  They were 4-12 the previous year and had, statistically, the worst defense in the NFL (The Broncos had the league's worst defense in 2010, allowing a league-worst 471 points (29.4 per game) and 6,253 yards.) He went 7-4 with a horrible team, became the top rushing team in the league, won the division and then went 1-1 in the playoffs.  I don’t care if you don’t like him, but I’m not about to sit back and let you rewrite verifiable history. Broncos went from losers to winners.  Sorry if that hurts feelings.

[url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Denver_Broncos_season#cite_note-2][/url]
Surely you jest!

It's most interesting you should reference the defense the way you did instead of referencing the impact he made on the offense-you know...the side of the ball on which he actually played.  I would say it was an advisable strategy, were the end results not so laughable.  Please allow me to elaborate.  

First off, in 2011 under Orton, the Broncos averaged 21 ppg.  Under Tebow, Denver averaged 18.69 ppg.  In Orton's 5 starts, the Broncos scored 20 points or more 4 times.  In Tebow's 11 starts, the Broncos scored 20 points or more three times.  Under Orton, the Broncos averaged 201.8 ypg passing.  Tebow, OTOH, produced 157 YPG passing.   Orton's completion percentage was 12 points higher than Tebow's (58.7-46.5), had a higher TD % (5.2-4.4) and despite playing in less than half of the games he threw for only 4 fewer TDs than Tebow (12-8).  Orton Averaged 31 attempts per game.  Tebow had about 6.4 fewer attempts.  Keep in mind, Denver's head coach at the time was Josh McDaniels, who came from New England.  While with the Patriots, he believed in passing the football.  But he couldn't implement that philosophy with Tebow.  Tebow couldn't pass the ball effectively or consistently good.

Denver took more of a conservative approach when Tebow took over as starter.  Aside from the fewer attempts per game, the fewer yards per game, and the lower completion percentage, Denver decided to run the ball more.  Tebow added considerably to the Broncos rushing efforts.  They averaged 23.6 rushes per game under Orton, and almost 39 attempts under Tebow.  So despite the fact the QBs most important function is throwing the ball, under Tebow, the team took a decidedly more conservative approach.

Yes, the team played better defensively than they did the year before.  Call me crazy, but I would think that's more attributable to a guy named Von Miller, who was drafted in 2011, than it is to Tebow.  Now the defense might have felt they had to play better to compensate for Tebow's incompetence at QB, but it isn't as though Tebow waved his magic wand and the defense played better.

But aside from the individual and team numbers, the ultimate proof of Tebow's worth as a QB is seen in what Denver did the following offseason.  Despite spending a first round pick on him in 2010 and their playoff run in 2011, Denver traded Tebow away and brought in an aging Peyton Manning.  You tacitly asserted Tebow was the catalyst to Denver's improvement from the year before.  But I would assert firing the overmatched Josh McDaniels and bringing aboard John Fox (who coached Carolina to their first Super Bowl) to coach them, and adding  pass rusher like Von Miller had more to do with Denver's improvement from 2010-2011 than Tebow did.  But perhaps you could explain, if Tebow's QBing ability, leadership and other intangibles were so great he willed the Broncos to win, why would Denver trade him away?  Why would Denver have improved so dramatically from Tebow's 2011 without the man who was supposedly so critical to their success the year before?  Since you are so concerned with the preservation of verifiable history, could you offer the factual, historical basis explaining why Denver was able to get rid of the guy so critical to their "success" in 2011, get an aging veteran to replace him, and improve the offensive output, the W-L record and the post season accomplishments without him, while a healthy Tebow never made anything close to the impact he had with Denver, much less the impact of other QBs?  

Verifiable history shows that individually, Tebow was less productive as a passer than his predecessor, the Denver offense as a whole was less productive under Tebow than it was under Orton in terms of points per game, and that the Broncos went on to far greater improvement and success after Tebow was dealt away, while Tebow never made an impact anywhere else he played.  I would offer apologies for hurting your feelings, but Tebow cultists are so insufferable, insistent, myopic and obnoxious I'm not particularly apologetic.

I'm Unverifiably sure that this left a mark.

Verifiable History.

NH3...
"AZANE"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2021, 10:33 AM by Tank Commander.)

(05-29-2021, 10:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-29-2021, 08:53 PM)Tank Commander Wrote: Sounds like you weren't following the NFL in 2011 and are just relying on stats now.

Elway wanted to get rid of Tebow from the beginning as that was Josh McDaniel's pick before Elway took over.
He was hoping to just start Tebow so Tebow could fail and then they could move on.
Unfortunately for Elway, Tebow kept winning, week after week and making Elway look stupid into the playoffs against the Steelers.
This made it hard to get rid of Tebow in Denver but luckily for Elway, Manning choose Denver and so Elway had an out since you had a HOF QB. (Elway really lucked out there because Elway's not the best evaluator of QB talent: Brock Osweiler, Paxton Lynch. Kind of like the Michael Jordan of the NFL)

At that point the mistake he made was being traded to the Jets instead of the Jags. He didn't account for a snake like Butt Fumble Mark Sanchez who spent his entire career and all his energy with the Jets just playing political games to keep his starting job rather than be a real quarterback. So he really never had a fair shot at the Jets and his reputation was ruined because of it. Really though that was Tebow's fault for going to a media circus like New York and for being naive to think that Butt Fumble was his friend.

After that he was basically blackballed and labelled an athletic QB who couldn't pass and that was the end of his career.

At this stage in his career it's probably too late for him to be an effective QB.  Like Kapernick and RGIII, he still has issues with his mechanics and is too run reliant.

But I think he will still be an effective goal line and shortyardage back/QB, must like he was his freshman year with the Gators when they would take Chris Leak out and bring Tebow in for automatic TDs. All this tight end nonsense is just that because he has non of the traits that make an effective tight end in this league.

Poor example.  Not sure why you are brining up Ponder or McNown who aren't that athletic. And Ponder is small and frail as well as not being athletic.

Better examples would have been spread read option guys like RGIII or Kapernick.

1.  I have been following NFL football since 1977.  I have not stopped following football at any time between then and now.  That covers the 2011 season.

2.  I have heard various versions of the Elway wanted to get rid of Tebow propaganda.  Some have theorized that a larger than life figure in Denver who amassed a first ballot Hall of Fame career with five Super Bowl appearances (XXI, XXII, XXIV, XXXII, XXXIII) and two Super Bowl victories (XXXII, XXXIII) was somehow threatened by or jealous of Tebow's popularity.  Some have posited the religious bias angle.  Yet none have offered a scintilla of actual objective, verifiable proof of any of this.  

3.  Elway has had problems drafting QBs over the years.  With this admission in mind, I would assert as a Hall of Fame QB himself who has learned the position from some of the best coaches in NFL history knows a little bit more about the position than most Tebow fans., Elway understands the position better than most.

4.  Even assuming Elway somehow lucked out with Manning's availability and was able to execute his nefarious plan to rid Denver of Tebow, it does not, in any way, explain the reticence of 31 other teams to pay more than a middling 4th round pick for him or to give him a shot at starting QB.  If Tebow played superbly at the most important and most difficult position to fill in sports and became available to every team, I guarantee he would have commanded more than a 4th round pick.  I guarantee more than two teams would have offered to trade for him.  I've yet to hear a Tebow apologist explain the lack of interest in Tebow after his supposedly brilliant 2011.  I have yet to hear a rational, fact based argument showing how Elway getting rid of Tebow was the wrong move.  I have yet to hear a rational fact based argument showing how 31 other teams who refused to give Tebow a shot at starting QB after 2011 made a mistake.

5.  McNown and Ponder were athletic.  As athletic as say, Vick or Kaepernick?  Perhaps not, but still athletic compared to many other QBs (especially McNown).  But even taking your assessment of the quality of the examples as accurate, the  underlying question still stands unaddressed by you. If athletic mobile QBs who cannot function effectively within the pocket as passers are of limited use/value as starting NFL QBs, what makes that analysis NOT apply to Tebow?

1. Then you choose to omit things or misremember what happened. You failed to mentions Elway's bad talent evaluation or desire to get rid of Tebow during the 2011 season until it was brought up.

2. Irrelevant. It really doesn't matter why Elway wanted to get rid of Tebow. The fact is that he did get want to get rid of him and his behavior and actions indicate such. It's actually quite normal for a new GM to come in and want to clean house on the actions of previous GMs' so not sure why it's important to you what those reasons were. 

3. You yourself admit that Elway has a problem identifying talent. Someone who knew what he was doing in terms of the QB position doesn't trade up for Paxton Lynch and pass up on Dak Prescott or miss identifying Pat Mahomes as a must get.  This puts Elway's evaluation of the QB position in the modern game in question. He's just not great at evaluating just like Michael Jordan is a horrible talent evaluator despite being the greatest player ever.

4. Is irrelevant because Elway did want to get rid of Tebow. He drafted his son's roommate, Brock Osweiiler in the 2nd round and signed Manning, which pretty much assured Tebow was gone given Tebow's 1st round salary. It was obvious to every other team that Elway wanted to get rid of Tebow so why on earth would anyone pay a high price to get him.

5. Still odd that you bring up McNown and Ponder. Both are smaller and frailer and only a little bit athletic. Different body types and players. And neither has won at any level college or pro. So I can only assume you picked those two for one reason as a comp for Tebow.

(05-30-2021, 10:32 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(05-29-2021, 10:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 1.  I have been following NFL football since 1977.  I have not stopped following football at any time between then and now.  That covers the 2011 season.

2.  I have heard various versions of the Elway wanted to get rid of Tebow propaganda.  Some have theorized that a larger than life figure in Denver who amassed a first ballot Hall of Fame career with five Super Bowl appearances (XXI, XXII, XXIV, XXXII, XXXIII) and two Super Bowl victories (XXXII, XXXIII) was somehow threatened by or jealous of Tebow's popularity.  Some have posited the religious bias angle.  Yet none have offered a scintilla of actual objective, verifiable proof of any of this.  

3.  Elway has had problems drafting QBs over the years.  With this admission in mind, I would assert as a Hall of Fame QB himself who has learned the position from some of the best coaches in NFL history knows a little bit more about the position than most Tebow fans., Elway understands the position better than most.

4.  Even assuming Elway somehow lucked out with Manning's availability and was able to execute his nefarious plan to rid Denver of Tebow, it does not, in any way, explain the reticence of 31 other teams to pay more than a middling 4th round pick for him or to give him a shot at starting QB.  If Tebow played superbly at the most important and most difficult position to fill in sports and became available to every team, I guarantee he would have commanded more than a 4th round pick.  I guarantee more than two teams would have offered to trade for him.  I've yet to hear a Tebow apologist explain the lack of interest in Tebow after his supposedly brilliant 2011.  I have yet to hear a rational, fact based argument showing how Elway getting rid of Tebow was the wrong move.  I have yet to hear a rational fact based argument showing how 31 other teams who refused to give Tebow a shot at starting QB after 2011 made a mistake.

5.  McNown and Ponder were athletic.  As athletic as say, Vick or Kaepernick?  Perhaps not, but still athletic compared to many other QBs (especially McNown).  But even taking your assessment of the quality of the examples as accurate, the  underlying question still stands unaddressed by you. If athletic mobile QBs who cannot function effectively within the pocket as passers are of limited use/value as starting NFL QBs, what makes that analysis NOT apply to Tebow?

1. Then you choose to omit things or misremember what happened. You failed to mentions Elway's bad talent evaluation or desire to get rid of Tebow during the 2011 season until it was brought up.

2. Irrelevant. It really doesn't matter why Elway wanted to get rid of Tebow. The fact is that he did get want to get rid of him and his behavior and actions indicate such. It's actually quite normal for a new GM to come in and want to clean house on the actions of previous GMs' so not sure why it's important to you what those reasons were. 

3. You yourself admit that Elway has a problem identifying talent. Someone who knew what he was doing in terms of the QB position doesn't trade up for Paxton Lynch and pass up on Dak Prescott or miss identifying Pat Mahomes as a must get.  This puts Elway's evaluation of the QB position in the modern game in question. He's just not great at evaluating just like Michael Jordan is a horrible talent evaluator despite being the greatest player ever.

4. Is irrelevant because Elway did want to get rid of Tebow. He drafted his son's roommate, Brock Osweiiler in the 2nd round and signed Manning, which pretty much assured Tebow was gone given Tebow's 1st round salary. It was obvious to every other team that Elway wanted to get rid of Tebow so why on earth would anyone pay a high price to get him.

5. Still odd that you bring up McNown and Ponder. Both are smaller and frailer and only a little bit athletic. Different body types and players. And neither has won at any level college or pro. So I can only assume you picked those two for one reason as a comp for Tebow.

The average NFL completion rate is 66%. 

Tebow's 46% completion rate in 2011 is all any GM would ever need to move on from him. 
Every single other speculation, excuse , or "reason" is completely unnecessary as well as vastly secondary in nature to that statistic.

(05-30-2021, 10:59 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 10:32 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: 1. Then you choose to omit things or misremember what happened. You failed to mentions Elway's bad talent evaluation or desire to get rid of Tebow during the 2011 season until it was brought up.

The average NFL completion rate is 66%. 

Tebow's 46% completion rate in 2011 is all any GM would ever need to move on from him. 
Every single other speculation, excuse , or "reason" is completely unnecessary as well as vastly secondary in nature to that statistic.
Different type of QB. Tebow played the read option, run heavy offense as a Game Manger QB. They basically almost played a wishbone offense with an occasional pass. The most important thing is always win-loses. Stats will differ depending on different systems, etc. His completion rate in college was 66% for a 2 time national championship team so let's not pretend that he can't throw. Even Peyton Manning in his first full season was only 56%. At the time during their 2011 playoff run the read option was a new paradigm offense in the NFL but a couple years later was followed by the read options with RGIII in Washington, Kapernick in San Fran and others. It was just ahead of it's time.

Your beloved Hall of Fame Terry Bradshaw had a 45% completion rate in 1974 when the Steelers won the Super Bowl.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...adTe00.htm

(05-30-2021, 11:11 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 10:59 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The average NFL completion rate is 66%. 

Different type of QB. Tebow played the read option, run heavy offense as a Game Manger QB. They basically almost played a wishbone offense with an occasional pass. The most important thing is always win-loses. Stats will differ depending on different systems, etc. His completion rate in college was 66% for a 2 time national championship team so let's not pretend that he can't throw. Even Peyton Manning in his first full season was only 56%. At the time during their 2011 playoff run the read option was a new paradigm offense in the NFL but a couple years later was followed by the read options with RGIII in Washington, Kapernick in San Fran and others. It was just ahead of it's time.

Your beloved Hall of Fame Terry Bradshaw had a 45% completion rate in 1974 when the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

I am not pretending.  Educating, perhaps. 

He doesn't throw the ball well enough to succeed as an NFL quarterback. This is not remotely debatable. It's a long established fact. 

The "different style" you mention is also not proven to be sustainable in the league heretofore unless paired with a QB who is able to be a threat from the pocket. Tebow was not enough of a threat from the pocket. Which brings us back to why 46% is such an important number in this conversation. 

And.... 1974?  Really?  LOL  
That's nearly 50 years ago.

(05-30-2021, 11:23 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 11:11 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: Different type of QB. Tebow played the read option, run heavy offense as a Game Manger QB. They basically almost played a wishbone offense with an occasional pass. The most important thing is always win-loses. Stats will differ depending on different systems, etc. His completion rate in college was 66% for a 2 time national championship team so let's not pretend that he can't throw. Even Peyton Manning in his first full season was only 56%. At the time during their 2011 playoff run the read option was a new paradigm offense in the NFL but a couple years later was followed by the read options with RGIII in Washington, Kapernick in San Fran and others. It was just ahead of it's time.

I am not pretending.  Educating, perhaps. 

He doesn't throw the ball well enough to succeed as an NFL quarterback. This is not remotely debatable. It's a long established fact. 

The "different style" you mention is also not proven to be sustainable in the league heretofore unless paired with a QB who is able to be a threat from the pocket. Tebow was not enough of a threat from the pocket. Which brings us back to why 46% is such an important number in this conversation. 

Always with the excuses.
It's okay though, I haven't seen one person here advocate for Tebow to start over TLaw. That is some fantastical boogeyman that some on here have created.

(05-30-2021, 11:35 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 11:23 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I am not pretending.  Educating, perhaps. 

Always with the excuses.
It's okay though, I haven't seen one person here advocate for Tebow to start over TLaw. That is some fantastical boogeyman that some on here have created.

I've made no excuse for any of my rebuttal to your inaccuracies. 

What excuse are you identifying?  

Pointing out that a statistic from 50 years ago is not valid in the modern NFL?

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2021, 11:49 AM by Tank Commander.)

(05-30-2021, 11:43 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 11:35 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: Always with the excuses.

I've made no excuse for any of my rebuttal to your inaccuracies. 

Now, now let's be fair.

You did bring up Tebow's 46% in his first full season first.

Which I did counter with Bradshaw's 45% in his Super Bowl season and Peyton Manning's 56% completion percentage in his first full season. (Or Tebow's 66% percentage from two national championships with Urban in Gainsville)
And you just poo pooed that away with excuses.

(05-30-2021, 11:49 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 11:43 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've made no excuse for any of my rebuttal to your inaccuracies. 

Now, now let's be fair.

Which I did counter with Bradshaw's 45% in his Super Bowl season and Peyton Manning's 56% completion percentage in his first full season. (Or Tebow's 66% percentage from two national championships with Urban in Gainsville)

There are no excuses being made. 

Bradshaw's 1974 statistics are completely irrelevant because so much has changed in the league. 

Peyton Manning did not have the mechanical issues throwing the football that Tebow had and he went on to prove that. Tebow did not. 

College statistics are also completely irrelevant - as has been explained numerous times in this and other threads ad nauseum. 

These are not excuses. I am explaining to you why your attempts to justify a 46% completion rate are not valid.

(05-30-2021, 11:49 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 11:43 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've made no excuse for any of my rebuttal to your inaccuracies. 

Now, now let's be fair.

You should stop.

You’re embarrassing yourself. Anytime you bring up college statistics to make an argument for NFL success, you’ve already lost the argument.

(05-30-2021, 12:12 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 11:49 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: Now, now let's be fair.

You should stop.

You’re embarrassing yourself. Anytime you bring up college statistics to make an argument for NFL success, you’ve already lost the argument.

Watch it, he'll throw some three-cone drills at you soon.  It's his go-to stat.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-30-2021, 12:12 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 11:49 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: Now, now let's be fair.

You should stop.

Cleatwood!

@bullseye I don’t have the time to look for your post. The team lost with Orton and won with Tebow. Instead of a mountain of text with stats this answers your first question: NFL’s #1 rushing attack even with opponents knowing what they were going to do and league best time of possession. When you have the ball for 9 more minutes per game then under 19 ppg doesn’t matter (see 2020 Cowboys). Second question you asked... why did they do better with Peyton... Tebow=rookie Peyton=hall of game qb with arguably the highest QB IQ ever. But thanks for comparing him to Peyton... you are starting to get it subconsciously!

(05-30-2021, 12:43 PM)Pendragon Wrote: @bullseye I don’t have the time to look for your post. The team lost with Orton and won with Tebow. Instead of a mountain of text with stats this answers your first question: NFL’s #1 rushing attack even with opponents knowing what they were going to do and league best time of possession.  When you have the ball for 9 more minutes per game then under 19 ppg doesn’t matter (see 2020 Cowboys).  Second question you asked... why did they do better with Peyton... Tebow=rookie Peyton=hall of game qb with arguably the highest QB IQ ever.  But thanks for comparing him to Peyton... you are starting to get it subconsciously!

Why couldn't he beat out Mark Sanchez?

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2021, 12:56 PM by Pendragon.)

Did I read that Tebow didn’t drop a pass in OTAs and caught two TDs in 7 on 7 drills ? Or was it against air? Day 4? Get used to disappointment IMO

(05-30-2021, 12:45 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 12:43 PM)Pendragon Wrote: @bullseye I don’t have the time to look for your post. The team lost with Orton and won with Tebow. Instead of a mountain of text with stats this answers your first question: NFL’s #1 rushing attack even with opponents knowing what they were going to do and league best time of possession.  When you have the ball for 9 more minutes per game then under 19 ppg doesn’t matter (see 2020 Cowboys).  Second question you asked... why did they do better with Peyton... Tebow=rookie Peyton=hall of game qb with arguably the highest QB IQ ever.  But thanks for comparing him to Peyton... you are starting to get it subconsciously!

Tebow has a learning disability. He needs to be in a consistent offense more than one year. He had to spend a year in Urban’s behind Chris leak. He never had the same offense in the NFL

(05-30-2021, 12:46 PM)Pendragon Wrote: Did I read that Tebow didn’t drop a pass in OTAs and caught two TDs in 7 on 7 drills ? Or was it against air?  Day 4? Get used to disappointment IMO

(05-30-2021, 12:45 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Why couldn't he beat out Mark Sanchez?

Tebow has a learning disability. He needs to be in a consistent offense more than one year. He had to spend a year in Urban’s behind Chris leak. He never had the same offense in the NFL

(05-30-2021, 12:46 PM)Pendragon Wrote: Did I read that Tebow didn’t drop a pass in OTAs and caught two TDs in 7 on 7 drills ? Or was it against air?  Day 4? Get used to disappointment IMO

Tebow has a learning disability. He needs to be in a consistent offense more than one year. He had to spend a year in Urban’s behind Chris leak. He never had the same offense in the NFL

Tebow has a learning disability. He needs to be in a consistent offense more than one year. He had to spend a year in Urban’s behind Chris leak. He never had the same offense in the NFL

Do you really think Tim Tebow is the only player, even the only QB, with a learning disability?  Jesus Christ man, the lengths you guys will go to.

So, basically, you're saying he'll be useless this year.  Right?

(05-30-2021, 12:45 PM)RicoTx Wrote:

You know why. You watched every Tebow game in Denver.

Damn, it was such a good idea to bring this clown to play a position he has never played before  Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(05-30-2021, 01:14 PM)Tank Commander Wrote:

You know why. You watched every Tebow game in Denver.

Yep, because he was worse than Mark Sanchise.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato