Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tim Tebow- Jags new TE (merged)

(06-03-2021, 08:56 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 08:42 PM)Dimson Wrote: Urban comes clean.
https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state...5SJQ4X4KhA

So unless I read that wrong, it wasn't Meyer who gave Tebow his shot, but the TE coach and scouts that said to sign him and give him a shot..

Am I correct on that?

they were present for the workout. Urbz still made the call to give him the workout and then to sign him, based on their feedback.

Not saying this is the case (lest I be deemed a hater, perish the thought), but if your boss brings his friend/business associate by and says, "Hey all, you know Tim. Give him a workout. Let me know how it goes", how many of those underlings are gonna have the stones to ask why they aren't bringing any others into the fold, especially if, as they quoted in the article, those same coaches were acknowledging that our current guys were struggling?

Quote:'My gosh, this guy's in incredible shape. He's a big athlete. Our tight end room has been struggling. OK, let's.'

One facet of their assessment is missing, and that concerns me. Nothing about his route running, receiving, or blocking. You could chalk that up to the quote Urbz gave during the interview, but not having that addressed is noteworthy.

I sincerely hope the experiment works out. I absolutely pray our coach isn't surrounding himself or creating a culture of yes-men, though. That's the fear.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-04-2021, 08:25 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 08:56 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: So unless I read that wrong, it wasn't Meyer who gave Tebow his shot, but the TE coach and scouts that said to sign him and give him a shot..

Am I correct on that?

they were present for the workout. Urbz still made the call to give him the workout and then to sign him, based on their feedback.

Not saying this is the case (lest I be deemed a hater, perish the thought), but if your boss brings his friend/business associate by and says, "Hey all, you know Tim. Give him a workout. Let me know how it goes", how many of those underlings are gonna have the stones to ask why they aren't bringing any others into the fold, especially if, as they quoted in the article, those same coaches were acknowledging that our current guys were struggling?

Quote:'My gosh, this guy's in incredible shape. He's a big athlete. Our tight end room has been struggling. OK, let's.'

One facet of their assessment is missing, and that concerns me. Nothing about his route running, receiving, or blocking. You could chalk that up to the quote Urbz gave during the interview, but not having that addressed is noteworthy.

I sincerely hope the experiment works out. I absolutely pray our coach isn't surrounding himself or creating a culture of yes-men, though. That's the fear.

I agree to a certain extent.. But that's still considered conjecture and would be, hearsay..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(06-04-2021, 08:08 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 07:48 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Meh, it is what it be. Do you really believe that article? You, one of the biggest skeptical contrarians I know, believe it?

I believe an article from a reputable sports outlet more than any of the posters on here doing their chicken little dance..

So taking the wait and see approach makes me a contrarian? Maybe.. Around here at least..

Do you trust the article more than what you yourself know about Urban Meyer from his long and repeated history of lies, unethical behaviors, nepotism, and front running? Or do you think he's a changed man? You don't have an opinion based on all that we do know? That seems so unlike you.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-04-2021, 08:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 08:08 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I believe an article from a reputable sports outlet more than any of the posters on here doing their chicken little dance..

So taking the wait and see approach makes me a contrarian? Maybe.. Around here at least..

Do you trust the article more than what you yourself know about Urban Meyer from his long and repeated history of lies, unethical behaviors, nepotism, and front running? Or do you think he's a changed man? You don't have an opinion based on all that we do know? That seems so unlike you.

Wow, didn't realize you hated Urban that much.

(06-04-2021, 09:12 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 08:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Do you trust the article more than what you yourself know about Urban Meyer from his long and repeated history of lies, unethical behaviors, nepotism, and front running? Or do you think he's a changed man? You don't have an opinion based on all that we do know? That seems so unlike you.

Wow, didn't realize you hated Urban that much.

That I remember his reputation? More like I can't believe anyone likes him enough to ignore it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-04-2021, 08:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 08:08 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I believe an article from a reputable sports outlet more than any of the posters on here doing their chicken little dance..

Much like everyone else, I've got nothing to go on but what I read and see for myself.. I can't in good judgement make an assessment on him as an NFL coach just yet. What he's done in the past, I understand how people can be extremely cautious, but he also needs to be judged on how he's handling the present and possibly the future.. The NFL has so many acronyms tied into its name, and most of them are pretty funny, but some are also true.. No Fun League, National Felon League or Not For Long.. The NFL is a business, Kahn is a business man who's pretty much a self made billionaire. As long as he keeps the Jags in Jax, I trust his decisions and judgements more than any article, journalists or pundit. And I trust Kahn to do the right thing if Meyer doesn't pan out, thus, Not For Long..

(06-04-2021, 09:21 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 08:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Do you trust the article more than what you yourself know about Urban Meyer from his long and repeated history of lies, unethical behaviors, nepotism, and front running? Or do you think he's a changed man? You don't have an opinion based on all that we do know? That seems so unlike you.

Much like everyone else, I've got nothing to go on but what I read and see for myself.. I can't in good judgement make an assessment on him as an NFL coach just yet. What he's done in the past, I understand how people can be extremely cautious, but he also needs to be judged on how he's handling the present and possibly the future.. The NFL has so many acronyms tied into its name, and most of them are pretty funny, but some are also true.. No Fun League, National Felon League or Not For Long.. The NFL is a business, Kahn is a business man who's pretty much a self made billionaire. As long as he keeps the Jags in Jax, I trust his decisions and judgements more than any article, journalists or pundit. And I trust Kahn to do the right thing if Meyer doesn't pan out, thus, Not For Long..

Well, I think Shad has already shown that he's overly patient with failing leaders, so that makes this doubly concerning. I feel like this is a Boom or Bust hire but the man and his reputation tilted the scale towards Bust the day he was announced. If he busts are we going to have to wait until a letter from the NFLPA or a blaringly scandalous headline hits (something worse that the scandals we've already seen in the last three months I mean)? On the plus side, I really like the assistants he's hired, I think the question is how much will he listen to them? Again he's know as a micromanager, which makes his denial on the Tebow signing almost laughable, so I don't think he's up to the task with pro players instead of college kids.

(06-04-2021, 09:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 09:21 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Much like everyone else, I've got nothing to go on but what I read and see for myself.. I can't in good judgement make an assessment on him as an NFL coach just yet. What he's done in the past, I understand how people can be extremely cautious, but he also needs to be judged on how he's handling the present and possibly the future.. The NFL has so many acronyms tied into its name, and most of them are pretty funny, but some are also true.. No Fun League, National Felon League or Not For Long.. The NFL is a business, Kahn is a business man who's pretty much a self made billionaire. As long as he keeps the Jags in Jax, I trust his decisions and judgements more than any article, journalists or pundit. And I trust Kahn to do the right thing if Meyer doesn't pan out, thus, Not For Long..

Well, I think Shad has already shown that he's overly patient with failing leaders, so that makes this doubly concerning. I feel like this is a Boom or Bust hire but the man and his reputation tilted the scale towards Bust the day he was announced. If he busts are we going to have to wait until a letter from the NFLPA or a blaringly scandalous headline hits (something worse that the scandals we've already seen in the last three months I mean)? On the plus side, I really like the assistants he's hired, I think the question is how much will he listen to them? Again he's know as a micromanager, which makes his denial on the Tebow signing almost laughable, so I don't think he's up to the task with pro players instead of college kids.

Was that so hard? That answer I can respect..

Kahn is definitely taking a risk, but he also didn't get to where he is now, by not taking those risks. No risk comes no reward.. You also have to look at the coaches who were available at the time as well. Yeah, there were more NFL experienced coaches out there, but they're pretty much re-treads and god knows, we all hate re-treads. Every coach we've had with the exception of Coughlin (first outting) was a re-tread, and how well has that treated us?

As far as Tebow is concerned, eh.. I'll rely on Kahn to step in and interject if Meyer makes Tebow TE1..

As far as Meyer being a micromanager, again, eh.. What head coach doesn't micromanage at some point over his position coaches, that comes with being a head coach, there's that whole hierarchy thing, which also kinda goes out the window when the head coach has more say than the GM.. so.. idk.. Just like player drafts, we can't really judge how well the head coach is performing until after a season or two. 

My take away is, Kahn is re-laying the foundation to this organization. He's trying to build something here for the long haul and not for the use of a couple of Ryder trucks in the middle of the night. Even in a well oiled machine, cogs eventually need to be replaced..

One of my biggest problems with Urban is that nothing he has said as made me think, wow, this guy really is ready for the NFL level... instead he keeps saying College tripe, as though it's earth shattering stuff we haven't heard regurgitated a million times at the College level.

(06-04-2021, 10:20 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: One of my biggest problems with Urban is that nothing he has said as made me think, wow, this guy really is ready for the NFL level... instead he keeps saying College tripe, as though it's earth shattering stuff we haven't heard regurgitated a million times at the College level.

Well that's just the thing, that's all he's known is college football. He's getting his feet wet in the NFL. He'll learn the NFL tripe soon enough and you'll get tired of that too.

78 pages of this crap.... so many other storylines to talk about and EVERYDAY we have to look at this stupid thread.... It really bugs me that my wife loves Teboy. She wants a teboy jersey... sigh.... Fine honey, ill get you teboys jersey, good grief.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(06-04-2021, 09:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 09:12 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: Wow, didn't realize you hated Urban that much.

That I remember his reputation? More like I can't believe anyone likes him enough to ignore it.

Your memory of his reputation is a bit melodramatic. He's absolutely made a few mistakes but this isn't Barry Switzer or Bill Belichick we're talking about here.

(06-04-2021, 10:31 AM)Ronster Wrote: 78 pages of this crap.... so many other storylines to talk about and EVERYDAY we have to look at this stupid thread.... It really bugs me that my wife loves Teboy. She wants a teboy jersey... sigh.... Fine honey, ill get you teboys jersey, good grief.

Stop reading about it then.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-04-2021, 10:41 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 09:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: That I remember his reputation? More like I can't believe anyone likes him enough to ignore it.

Your memory of his reputation is a bit melodramatic. He's absolutely made a few mistakes but this isn't Barry Switzer or Bill Belichick we're talking about here.

(06-04-2021, 10:31 AM)Ronster Wrote: 78 pages of this crap.... so many other storylines to talk about and EVERYDAY we have to look at this stupid thread.... It really bugs me that my wife loves Teboy. She wants a teboy jersey... sigh.... Fine honey, ill get you teboys jersey, good grief.

Not sure I understand this...

Urban quit on Florida because he knew he couldn't win anymore because his recruitment had gone to crap and Saban was king of the SEC. 

Then...

Take a deep breath, everyone. We'll get through this shocking revelation, this can't-be-true moment, together.
Urban Meyer has retired. Again.     
Meyer proclaimed Tuesday that he's leaving Ohio State because of health issues, and that he's done coaching. It's the same thing he said eight years ago after walking away from Florida.
Back then, in 2010, he walked away from a program cratered with entitlement run amok, roster manipulation, a drug problem in the locker room and more than 30 player arrests in six seasons.
On Tuesday, he walked away from a program that has had a brutal season off the field, including revelations of the reckless enabling of former assistant coach Zach Smith, whose alleged domestic violence (among other nefarious issues) while working for Meyer at both Florida and Ohio State left an indelible shame stain for all to see on one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport.

So what the [BLEEP] are you in here commenting on it for?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2021, 11:06 AM by Ronster.)

(06-04-2021, 10:41 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 09:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: That I remember his reputation? More like I can't believe anyone likes him enough to ignore it.

Its impossible, its like looking at the sun during an eclipse... Or watching a train wreck or some other terrible incident. I CAN'T LOOK AWAY... lol
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(06-04-2021, 10:47 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 10:41 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Your memory of his reputation is a bit melodramatic. He's absolutely made a few mistakes but this isn't Barry Switzer or Bill Belichick we're talking about here.

Not sure I understand this...

Urban quit on Florida because he knew he couldn't win anymore because his recruitment had gone to crap and Saban was king of the SEC. 

Then...

Take a deep breath, everyone. We'll get through this shocking revelation, this can't-be-true moment, together.
Meyer proclaimed Tuesday that he's leaving Ohio State because of health issues, and that he's done coaching. It's the same thing he said eight years ago after walking away from Florida.
Back then, in 2010, he walked away from a program cratered with entitlement run amok, roster manipulation, a drug problem in the locker room and more than 30 player arrests in six seasons.
On Tuesday, he walked away from a program that has had a brutal season off the field, including revelations of the reckless enabling of former assistant coach Zach Smith, whose alleged domestic violence (among other nefarious issues) while working for Meyer at both Florida and Ohio State left an indelible shame stain for all to see on one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport.

Kinda chuckling on this one, because it does leave out those minor points of Meyer winning 2 national championships with Florida and 1 with Ohio State.

If he guides Jax to a Super Bowl win and then leaves the team in ruins in 2024 after resigning in disgrace?  Yeah, I think I'll take it.  Even if Tebow IS on that SB team.

(06-04-2021, 11:07 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 10:47 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Not sure I understand this...

Then...

Kinda chuckling on this one, because it does leave out those minor points of Meyer winning 2 national championships with Florida and 1 with Ohio State.

If he guides Jax to a Super Bowl win and then leaves the team in ruins in 2024 after resigning in disgrace?  Yeah, I think I'll take it.  Even if Tebow IS on that SB team.

...as well as 12-0 at Utah.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Then...

100% agree.

And I hope if he resigns in disgrace, he still leaves us with Trevor lol

Then...

Too bad he's shown absolutely no growth from either of his previous desertions. And it's also too bad that College success means nothing at the pro level

(06-04-2021, 11:20 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 11:07 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Kinda chuckling on this one, because it does leave out those minor points of Meyer winning 2 national championships with Florida and 1 with Ohio State.

Too bad he's shown absolutely no growth from either of his previous desertions. And it's also too bad that College success means nothing at the pro level

Well, at least its not Teboi we are talking about.