Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tim Tebow- Jags new TE (merged)

(08-08-2021, 09:40 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-07-2021, 09:44 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Congrats. 

In one post, you perfectly encapsulated why there is little to no substantive football discussion of Tebow.  None of the reasons you or anyone else support him have anything to do with substantive football reasons.

So there has or hasn't been substantive discussion of Tebow the tight end?
Forget about his past as QB that doesn't matter now.
There Are trolls on both sides so I just ignore the leg humpers.

My point is this thread has devolved quickly, as threads with 100+ pages tend to do. There's less about Timmy the TE and more about back and forth with posters who think they're smarter than the next.

Like I said I don't think he'll make the roster. But if he does I don't think the hand wringing is warranted considering he's a fringe roster guy and any other #53 roster spot wouldn't get 100 pages of whining and crying back and forth.

What we have is a few Tebow fans, a few Gator haters, and a bunch of Jaguar fans arguing over something they'll never convince the other side of. It's like politics... pointless arguing. While the thread periodically goes off the rails talking about WCO or Joe frickin Namath.
The discussion should stick to what Tebow has done in practice and his competition that is on the roster (with perhaps some talks of who else we could bring in).
It isn't an all things Tebow thread. His past career is irrelevant. He's a tight end now. 
But the mods have it under control lol

I'd agree with your bolded statement above if the position group wasn't so devoid of talent. 

You've got J.O'Shag, who would be a decent #2 TE for a number of NFL teams, probably.
You've got Manhertz who is a crapshoot who has been a failed experiment at prior stops
You've got a rookie who is supposed to be a good blocker
A 7th rounder in year 2
An UDFA in year 2 
Tebow

"Fringe roster" guy in a room like that isn't saying much.  They'd ALL be fringe roster guys on almost every team in the league!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-08-2021, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 09:40 AM)Kane Wrote: So there has or hasn't been substantive discussion of Tebow the tight end?

My point is this thread has devolved quickly, as threads with 100+ pages tend to do. There's less about Timmy the TE and more about back and forth with posters who think they're smarter than the next.

Like I said I don't think he'll make the roster. But if he does I don't think the hand wringing is warranted considering he's a fringe roster guy and any other #53 roster spot wouldn't get 100 pages of whining and crying back and forth.

What we have is a few Tebow fans, a few Gator haters, and a bunch of Jaguar fans arguing over something they'll never convince the other side of. It's like politics... pointless arguing. While the thread periodically goes off the rails talking about WCO or Joe frickin Namath.
The discussion should stick to what Tebow has done in practice and his competition that is on the roster (with perhaps some talks of who else we could bring in).
It isn't an all things Tebow thread. His past career is irrelevant. He's a tight end now. 

I'd agree with your bolded statement above if the position group wasn't so devoid of talent. 

You've got J.O'Shag, who would be a decent #2 TE for a number of NFL teams, probably.
You've got Manhertz who is a crapshoot who has been a failed experiment at prior stops
A 7th rounder in year 2
An UDFA in year 2 
Tebow

"Fringe roster" guy in a room like that isn't saying much.  They'd ALL be fringe roster guys on almost every team in the league!

The #5 TE will make the difference when the #1 TE is at best an NFL grade #2?  If Tebow makes the team or "An UDFA in year 2" takes that last spot then the team's capabilities in that position are not affected at all, according to the argument laid out.

Getting bent out of shape over a choice between Tebow and UDFA yr 2 is an indulgence of passion not ration.

(08-08-2021, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 09:40 AM)Kane Wrote: So there has or hasn't been substantive discussion of Tebow the tight end?

A 7th rounder in year 2
An UDFA in year 2 
Tebow

Indeed. So I'm not sure a younger guy with upside gets passed over unless Tebow shines in preseason. And IF he does make the roster I'm not sure it warrants any hand wringing from the fanbase considering our TE room is mostly crap.
I also think we may only roster 3 and go heavy at WR. A guy like Johnson offers a RZ threat with his size... Not sure we need to keep a bunch of TEs on roster when we'll be able to get guys off PS or the street of the same skill level if injuries occur.

(08-11-2021, 05:23 PM)Kane Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'd agree with your bolded statement above if the position group wasn't so devoid of talent. 

A 7th rounder in year 2
An UDFA in year 2 
Tebow

Indeed. So I'm not sure a younger guy with upside gets passed over unless Tebow shines in preseason. And IF he does make the roster I'm not sure it warrants any hand wringing from the fanbase considering our TE room is mostly crap.
I also think we may only roster 3 and go heavy at WR. A guy like Johnson offers a RZ threat with his size... Not sure we need to keep a bunch of TEs on roster when we'll be able to get guys off PS or the street of the same skill level if injuries occur.

If I'm wringing my hands at all, it's because this F.O. saw this TE room so devoid of talent (as we've agreed) and their response was to add a 34 y.o. project instead of something more viable.

(08-11-2021, 06:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 05:23 PM)Kane Wrote: Indeed. So I'm not sure a younger guy with upside gets passed over unless Tebow shines in preseason. And IF he does make the roster I'm not sure it warrants any hand wringing from the fanbase considering our TE room is mostly crap.

If I'm wringing my hands at all, it's because this F.O. saw this TE room so devoid of talent (as we've agreed) and their response was to add a 34 y.o. project instead of something more viable.

I didn't mean to infer you specifically were the hand wringer. 
But I agree, they didn't do enough at the position in the draft or free agency, perhaps they tried but didn't land Smith or Henry.
I mean they moved on from Oliver, seemingly don't want to trade for Ertz or any other TE. And are banking on James O, Manhertz and someone to surprise out of Tebow or young unknowns.

Here's hoping the offense isn't meant to run through the tight end much. But at this point... Tebow, no Tebow...that 3rd or 4th TE and bottom roster position probably is getting way too much ire and discussion.

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2021, 08:47 PM by JagsorDie. Edited 1 time in total.)

and that is ultimately all that matters in this thread. 

/thread

I would like to toss a big thank you out to Bullseye for attempting to pump reason into this insane discussion for the passed few week. There were a few points I think even Timmy himself would have had trouble going against. Thanks for fighting the good fight. With any luck it will be over soon.

(08-11-2021, 06:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 05:23 PM)Kane Wrote: Indeed. So I'm not sure a younger guy with upside gets passed over unless Tebow shines in preseason. And IF he does make the roster I'm not sure it warrants any hand wringing from the fanbase considering our TE room is mostly crap.

@hater@

Tebow can stay on the team without making the 53 man roster. Teams are allowed a 16 man practice squad, with up to 6 of those being more than 2 year veterans. Nobody is going to sign him off our practice squad.

I predict Tebow to be used heavily in Saturday’s game to determine if he can cut the mustard. If not, gone Sunday morning.

(08-12-2021, 08:14 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Tebow can stay on the team without making the 53 man roster.  Teams are allowed a 16 man practice squad, with up to 6 of those being more than 2 year veterans.  Nobody is going to sign him off our practice squad.

Good point.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-11-2021, 08:47 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:

and that is ultimately all that matters in this thread. 

/thread

I would like to toss a big thank you out to Bullseye for attempting to pump reason into this insane discussion for the passed few week. There were a few points I think even Timmy himself would have had trouble going against. Thanks for fighting the good fight. With any luck it will be over soon.

No thanks necessary.

Most people scratch when there is an itch.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-12-2021, 08:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-12-2021, 08:14 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Tebow can stay on the team without making the 53 man roster.  Teams are allowed a 16 man practice squad, with up to 6 of those being more than 2 year veterans.  Nobody is going to sign him off our practice squad.

Good point.

Yeah, but would Tebow do that? Leon Searcy was outright adamant that he wouldn't and the team wouldn't want him to either.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-12-2021, 09:53 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-12-2021, 08:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Good point.

Yeah, but would Tebow do that? Leon Searcy was outright adamant that he wouldn't and the team wouldn't want him to either.

I can't see it either but who knows? Tebow was willing to labor in minor league baseball for a pretty good stretch and Meyer does really like him.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(08-12-2021, 08:25 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I predict Tebow to be used heavily in Saturday’s game to determine if he can cut the mustard. If not, gone Sunday morning.

Where did "cut the mustard" come from?

What does that even mean. How can you "cut" mustard.

(08-12-2021, 12:43 PM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(08-12-2021, 08:25 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I predict Tebow to be used heavily in Saturday’s game to determine if he can cut the mustard. If not, gone Sunday morning.

You could ask William Sydney Porter. He coined the phrase, but he's dead.

(08-12-2021, 12:43 PM)Tank Commander Wrote:

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=cut+the+mustard

(08-12-2021, 01:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-12-2021, 12:43 PM)Tank Commander Wrote: Where did "cut the mustard" come from?

moar like spoon-feeding the mustard

(08-12-2021, 01:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-12-2021, 12:43 PM)Tank Commander Wrote: Where did "cut the mustard" come from?

So you don't know what it originally comes from.

Tebow is so "swol" he looks like a Techmo Bowl character.

Considering he's basically last on the depth chart behind guys like Farrel and Ellfson, barring something substantial in the preseason games I still doubt he makes the roster