Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
*** THE OFFICIAL NBA THREAD ***

Quote:So far the Magic have interviewed Vogel and Adrian Griffin. I would not be upset a bit if it were Vogel.
In the NBA, coaches don't bring Championships, superstar players do. And the Magic got 0 on the roster. You can bring in Phil Jackson, with that roster, you get the same results as previous seasons.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:In the NBA, coaches don't bring Championships, superstar players do. And the Magic got 0 on the roster. You can bring in Phil Jackson, with that roster, you get the same results as previous seasons.
For the most part I agree. Coaching plays more of a role then I think most would like to think at the NBA level (or any pro sport).

I think Billy Donovan, for example, has brought something to OKC that they are benefitting from. He has always had a knack for being able to mesh different personalities and attitudes. He has certain role players contributing more then they have in the past. KD and Westbrook combined for 30% shooting in game one against Golden State and still won. A good coach is very valuable. If not, they'd put some idiot in a suit on the sideline, roll the ball out, and tell them to have at it.

Using the Magic as an example. Not that Skiles is the gold standard but he took what is just about the same roster and improved on the previous season by 10 games. When SVG left, they lost 17 more games the next season.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:In the NBA, coaches don't bring Championships, superstar players do. And the Magic got 0 on the roster. You can bring in Phil Jackson, with that roster, you get the same results as previous seasons.

I disagree.

Role players stepping up at the right time bring championships. 

Quote:I disagree.

Role players stepping up at the right time bring championships. 
Robert  big game Horry

Thunder imploding from the last couple of minutes in the first half to the 3rd quarter.   Looks like its up to the Cavaliers to beat this gimmick small ball warriors.

Quote:Thunder imploding from the last couple of minutes in the first half to the 3rd quarter.   Looks like its up to the Cavaliers to beat this gimmick small ball warriors.
Leave it to the "gimmick small ball warriors" to prove otherwise. 

You and your attachment to a certain style of play just shows your naivety. 

It's like knocking the Pats offense for not being a smash-mouth, run the ball in your face offense. 

Quote:Leave it to the "gimmick small ball warriors" to prove otherwise. 

You and your attachment to a certain style of play just shows your naivety. 

It's like knocking the Pats offense for not being a smash-mouth, run the ball in your face offense. 
lol

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2016, 06:33 AM by Caldrac.)

1st half was pretty solid last night. But you could see during the final minute of the 1st half that OKC was fixing to lose any momentum it had going into the 2nd half. This should be a good series. Normally I don't keep up with basketball but the play-off series so far has been worth the time to watch. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:1st half was pretty solid last night. But you could see during the final minute of the 1st half that OKC was fixing to lose any momentum it had going into the 2nd half. This should be a good series. Normally I don't keep up with basketball but the play-off series so far has been worth the time to watch. 
Only a few series have been good. For the most part these playoffs have been terrible.

;

First few games of Spurs and Thunder were good,Toronto vs Heat was painful to watch throughout.

I am still sticking with OKC. Mission accomplished in Golden State. They stole home court.

;

Warriors are unstoppable when Curry & Thompson are hitting their 3's.

The NBA talent is amazing when you think about all of those 6'9"+ players running the court alongside the guards.

Quote:Warriors are unstoppable when Curry & Thompson are hitting their 3's.

The NBA talent is amazing when you think about all of those 6'9"+ players running the court alongside the guards.
What's next, just dribble to the halfcourt line and shoot 3's, then eventually bombs from the opponents free throw line. Circus show.

Quote:What's next, just dribble to the halfcourt line and shoot 3's, then eventually bombs from the opponents free throw line. Circus show.
Not everybody is Steph Curry, and the sooner people learn that is better, boyo.

The fact<i> </i>that he has a different skill set than any other player in NBA history should not be a knock on him. 

Quote:Not everybody is Steph Curry, and the sooner people learn that is better, boyo.

The fact<i> </i>that he has a different skill set than any other player in NBA history should not be a knock on him. 

It's crazy.  Dude comes off of a pick, the ball is in his hands for about 2 tenths of a second and it's gone.  Nothing But Net.

The Magic have hired Vogel. I like it, like it a lot.

;

Quote:The Magic have hired Vogel. I like it, like it a lot.

Great hire.

Quote:Great hire.
Almost makes me wonder if the front office intentionally pushed the envelope even more with Skiles to irritate, agitate, and tick him off after Vogel was not re-signed. Hoping Skiles would quit and they could get their guy.

A long shot....I know....

;

Quote:The Magic have hired Vogel. I like it, like it a lot.

Very interesting career path to becoming an NBA Coach (and being able to retain an equivalent position after being let go)......

Vogel began his career as the head video coordinator for the Boston Celtics under head coach Rick Pitino. He retained that position for five years before being promoted to assistant coach.<sup>[7]</sup> After coaching with Boston, Vogel went on to become an assistant for the Philadelphia 76ers. Vogel left the 76ers to become an advance scout for the Los Angeles Lakers from 2005–2006 and the Washington Wizards from 2006-2007.<sup>[4]</sup> Vogel then became an assistant for the Indiana Pacers under former Celtics colleague Jim O'Brien. In 2011, after O'Brien was fired from his head coaching position, Vogel was named interim coach.<sup>[8]</sup> As interim coach, Vogel led the Pacers to the playoffs for the first time since 2006. Vogel was officially named as the Pacers' head coach on July 6, 2011.<sup>[9]</sup>

Quote:Very interesting career path to becoming an NBA Coach (and being able to retain an equivalent position after being let go)......

Vogel began his career as the head video coordinator for the Boston Celtics under head coach Rick Pitino. He retained that position for five years before being promoted to assistant coach.<sup>[7]</sup> After coaching with Boston, Vogel went on to become an assistant for the Philadelphia 76ers. Vogel left the 76ers to become an advance scout for the Los Angeles Lakers from 2005–2006 and the Washington Wizards from 2006-2007.<sup>[4]</sup> Vogel then became an assistant for the Indiana Pacers under former Celtics colleague Jim O'Brien. In 2011, after O'Brien was fired from his head coaching position, Vogel was named interim coach.<sup>[8]</sup> As interim coach, Vogel led the Pacers to the playoffs for the first time since 2006. Vogel was officially named as the Pacers' head coach on July 6, 2011.<sup>[9]</sup>
Isn't that how Spoelstra started as well?

;