Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jaguars release second-year QB Brandon Allen

(09-05-2017, 03:40 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 03:15 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: You need to keep things in perspective.  He was "good enough" last season because of the roster being depleted of talent and the potential that they could have lost this "prospect" during the waiver process.

Obviously the "prospect" wasn't good enough to be "protected" by keeping him on the active roster this season.  Many speculate (myself included) that the original intention was to move him to the practice squad.

Here's a news bulletin...  even if he made it to the practice squad any team is still able to sign him.

Here's another thought... which player's roster spot should he hold right now (and don't say Bortles or Henne because you will look foolish)?

Guess I'll look foolish then.

Henne's spot.

We could have cut Henne and gotten another Henne from the scrap heap. The fact that this franchise holds onto Henne like he is some extra coach or something is what really looks foolish.
Our roster was so devoid of talent last year to hold a 3rd QB all year but this year it is so much better? C'mon..

Like I said.. I don't suspect BA to light up the league this year. But he surely would have been a better #2 option for us than Henne.
And with another season in (or maybe more reps this year would have done him some good) I personally think he could develop into a solid backup/fringe starter.

I won't dwell on it really... Just haven't been on the internet all weekend to make any comment about the matter and wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
Flame away if you must.
I feel content and don't feel a bit foolish at all.

Just so we're clear....
The decision makers for the Jags thought Bortles was good enough... then he wasn't, but Henne was so 'meh' they went back to Bortles by default.
They thought the OL was good enough to only make minimal moves and we still don't know who is starting at LG.
They thought with the state of our roster (our OL and our QB mainly) a RB at #4 overall was a good selection....

Sorry if I'm not all on board with Marrone and Caldwell's line of thought currently.

Caldwell and Marrone aren't making the personnel decisions ultimately. I'll trust Doug's evaluation of Allen since he had to be the one recommending they cut him, but Coughlin has the final say.  I do trust his evaluation, and he obviously agreed.  Allen didn't do enough to think he could compete for the #2 spot, and he wasn't a long term solution as a starter, so he became expendable. That's just the reality.

As far as cutting Henne, keeping Allen, and signing another Henne may make total sense to you, but you still have to take someone's roster spot beyond Henne to make that happen. Who are you cutting?
(09-05-2017, 04:42 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Dang, Kane spittin that fye.

I get what he is saying. Why not cut Henne or at least rade him. You know what he is. If BK5 sucks, you could have put in BK5 Jr. BA is sort of exciting and he is mobile. There are multiple QBs that are better than Henne that we could sign for the league min. Does Henne really deserve his contract right now? What is it 3 mil this year? HA!

Henne holds the advantage over Allen or any free agent because of his familiarity with the system and personnel.  He sucks, but that matters.  If Bortles gets hurt, Allen would wind up fully exposed because he wouldn't be facing scrubs.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFL.com - Jaguars release second-year QB Brandon Allen - by FBT - 09-05-2017, 06:20 PM