Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jags decline to pick up Dante Fowler's fifth-year option

(05-03-2018, 11:06 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 10:57 AM)FBT Wrote: Agreed.  If they don't get an extension ironed out before the season starts, and he has a monster year, this team will most likely let him walk, unless there's a dramatic step back in the play of Campbell and/or Jackson.  One thing we've learned about this front office is that they set a value on a player, and they don't deviate.  If it looks like he'll wind up getting more in free agency, I don't see them bringing him back.

I’d be inclined to agree. 

My only concern is that is literally took us ten years to get a strong pass rush. With Campbell most likely gone in the next couple of years, do we risk letting go what may be our next fantastic complement to Yan? The draft is a dice roll, again, going back to our ten year drought; how many pass rushers did we draft and or sign in FA and never worked out? It would be a tough decision for sure. That’s why I’m glad I’m not in the front office

Based on the outcome of the moves they made last year, you have to trust the process.  If they come to the conclusion that he's not coming back, I'm sure they'll have a plan in place to address the loss.  Keep in mind, we were talking about picking up the option on a player that was going to cost this team $14.2 million for essentially a backup.  Not exactly the wisest use of cap space unless the expectation is that he becomes the guy, and then you have more difficult decisions to make.  

Yannick's contract is going to need to be looked at.  

You can pretty much expect at least one of the 3 veterans (Campbell, Jackson, Dareus) won't be back for 2019. The team needs to continue to look to the draft to help manage the cap and re-stock talent.  That means a lot of these big ticket players will eventually be purged from the roster.  Let's hope the front office continues to identify talent to sustain the current success.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFL.com - Jags decline to pick up Dante Fowler's fifth-year option - by FBT - 05-03-2018, 01:47 PM