Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Putting Leonard Fournette’s rookie year in perspective - PFT

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2018, 10:00 AM by sfljaguarsfan.)

(05-09-2018, 09:34 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 09:14 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: "Fournette had 8 very pedestrian running performances mixed into his season last year. In weeks 2, 3, 10, 12, 13, and 16 his contribution was marginal at best.  He had two other not so great ground games mixed in - but they were offset by his contribution catching the ball."

Along with every other back in the NFL... Ever played fantasy football? Name some backs that don't have up and down performances... Are too trying to say Fournette needs to go over 100 rushing with multiple TDs every game to be considered" worth the pick"?

And without those "4 or 5" game changing performances leading to wins we probably don't get into the playoffs... Ever consider that?

Your bolded bit there literally repeats what I just typed in the post you quoted. 
Maybe you should read it again:

Quote:I believe his contribution in 4 or 5 other games was crucial enough to be considered a significant factor in the wins. That's actually high praise as it's enough to change the course of a season for a team. 

Also - I think you're misconstruing my points. I'm trying to simply give some perspective on how much impact he had - and at times didn't have.  While I don't think 8 games of looking pedestrian on the ground is a such a terrible thing, especially for a rookie, it's enough to make me hope we made the right pick that early in a draft. 

I didn't expect any more than we saw from him in year one because of the weaknesses in his game that three other posters have mentioned in this thread. If we're going to take a back that early, I'd much prefer he'd be able to improvise out of a busted play every now and then.  He almost never does.  Fournette seems to lack the vision and lateral agility to pull that off more than once in a blue moon.  

What he does well however, he does exceptionally well. Fight for extra yards, punish defenders, help to wear down a defense (when he gets enough touches), and of course blow the top off when he can space to get up to speed. 

The Jags seem to be catering to his strengths this offseason to some degree and i expect it to help his impact to grow.  In the meantime - It's OK for me to be mildly disappointed that he wasn't able to be more impactful in a few of those lackluster games he notched last year. I think there will be fewer of those in 2018.
But even the games you're saying he didn't have an impact was mostly because teams were stacking the box and game is planning to stop HIM daring Bortles to win the game, so yes when other teams game plan to stop Fournette, it opens up passing options and therefore has a massive influence on the game. He faced the highest percent of 8 man boxes and still had almost 1300 all purpose yards in 13 games played as a Rookie. IDK man, looks like a massive impact to me.

EDIT: Corection he had 1342 yards from scrimmage on 13 games played (really about 12 and half or so). Play that out over a full 16 games and he has about 1750 or so yds from scrimmage as A ROOKIE.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Putting Leonard Fournette’s rookie year in perspective - PFT - by sfljaguarsfan - 05-09-2018, 09:46 AM