Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Putting Leonard Fournette’s rookie year in perspective - PFT

(05-09-2018, 09:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 09:46 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: But even the games you're saying he didn't have an impact was mostly because teams were stacking the box and game is planning to stop HIM daring Bortles to win the game, so yes when other teams game plan to stop Fournette, it opens up passing options and therefore has a massive influence on the game. He faced the highest percent of 8 man boxes and still had almost 1300 all purpose yards in 13 games played as a Rookie. IDK man, looks like a massive impact to me.

I don't see it that way. Did some of the defenses we faced key on Fournette? Yeah, they did. When you trot out some of the run formations we used on first down they don't really have a choice do they? sw

But like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the majority of those stacked boxes would have happened anyway in direct response to the run formations the Jags frequently put on the field. They stacked the box frequently in direct response to the offensive formation, not because the guy back there was wearing number 27. I hope the Jags get smarter about telegraphing the run   --  like they did in the first half of the game in new england.
 Fournette's opportunities could benefit from a lot more running room if they mix that up IMO. Would have been a wiser and more impactful way to use him  in his rookie year IMO. 

He helped open up the pass at times, he had a good rookie year, he helped us win some games. I stop short of saying "massive impact" though.  I just don't see it that way.  Maybe he'll earn that from me in 2018. We'll see.

Fair enough, agree to disagree then but a rookie back that averages over a 100 yds from scrimmage per game (see my edit) while having a nagging injury for half of his games started gets me excited.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Putting Leonard Fournette’s rookie year in perspective - PFT - by sfljaguarsfan - 05-09-2018, 10:08 AM