Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Falcons Game

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2018, 10:47 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-26-2018, 07:51 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Good points as usual Bullseye!

Some observations from me as well:

-Good luck to Lee. That was a really bad injury. While his drops when they occur are really bad  (and that's why it always seems he has had more drops than it actually was the case)I think he is a valuable player in this offense, especially on 3rd down and running game. Wish him the best

-After seeing our performances during last preseason I'm not worried when some things don't work, I'm sure Marrone will have this team prepared for week 1 and players legs will be less tired and heavy after this training camp. Offensively they are not really opening up the playbook, rightly so. I'm sure they'll come up with a good plan as soon as the regular season start, Hackett has been very good with the first scripted drives and that's what I expect this season as well.

Defensively I think Wash is calling a few more blitzes than usual, I wonder if it's just to test players like Hayden, Patmon in doing so or if he will be take a more aggressive approach with blitzes during regular season too. What I noticed last season is that we blitzed the most on the season opener against the Texans and then blitzed less and less as the season went on. Against Steelers and Patriots in the playoff we almost didn't blitz and I think that at times our rushing packages suffered a bit of predictability in those games. We'll see if Wash will be more aggressive with it later in the season, way too early to know now but it's just something I noticed.

-Talking about new players: Norwell did very well in the run game while he could have played better in pass protection. Overall pleased with his debut. ASJ had a really nice catch and seems like he's focusing a lot on his blocking, I think that we'll see much more involved once gameplanning week to week starts. Moncrief was fine.  

-I'm not too worried about Bortles ints (although the first one was particularly bad, again) but he can't make decisions like the weird throw/toss to Yeldon while he was being pressured by Dlinemen: that was a stupid move and if Yeldon doesn't play DB we are facing another INT that may go for a pick 6.
The key time for Bortles will be during the season when teams will start challenging him on 3rd down with almost goal line formations. Titans, Rams, Jets and others did it last year and he will have to show he can change the play and beat that. There was another exemple of it last week against the Vikings but since it was preseason Bortles didn't change the play and we were stopped short of a first down but this will be a crucial point for our offense success.
And hopefully he gets more consistent in throwing in front of the receiver, yesterday he threw behind Chark (who could have gone for a long gain with his speed) like he did often other times last season. He came back and executed better on the next play for the big Moncrief gain, but again...need to hit those plays in stride.

-Those 2 RBs formation are excellent and hopefully they'll help opening up other options too. Fournette, Yeldon and Grant are all running well and catching the ball well, I'm not concerned about our RBs.

-I'm still not sold on our run defense, I wonder if we will see some heavier packages against certain teams.

-Malik Jackson is perhaps in the best form of his career here. He looks explosive and extra focused. While Campbell had a quieter camp, Malik has been a force.

-While I'm not clamoring for Kessler to compete for the starting job it's  good to see we have a capable backup. I just wish he was playing behind a better offensive line, with the starters the guy would look really reliable. That would have also helped the other wr's skill players like Wynn, Lazard, Mickens, Greene...sometimes the protection wasn't even there to let them have an opportunity as Kessler was being mugged. (not talking just about yesterday, in general during preseason).
I would sit Kessler next week by the way, no need to risk an injury to him. Let Lee play the entire game.

-Special mention: AJ Cann looks really improved thourghout the preseason, the man has clearly worked hard.

I couldn't agree more. We finally have a solid backup QB. No need to risk an injury. I might even sign some "Joe Schmo" off the street, just for this coming game to be an emergency QB, in case Tanner Lee gets injured. None of our starters should even sniff the field.

Messages In This Thread
Impressions From the Falcons Game - by Bullseye - 08-26-2018, 12:54 AM
RE: Impessions From the Falcons Game - by Upper - 08-26-2018, 01:39 AM
RE: Impessions From the Falcons Game - by TheO-LineMatters - 08-26-2018, 10:45 AM
RE: Impessions From the Falcons Game - by nate - 08-26-2018, 10:46 AM
RE: Impressions From the Falcons Game - by Jags02 - 08-27-2018, 12:11 PM
RE: Impressions From the Falcons Game - by Eric1 - 08-27-2018, 04:24 PM