Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Interview With Bortles About Benching

(11-29-2018, 10:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 09:49 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You guys and you're logic...sheesh.

Yeah. I get it. And up until a few weeks ago, I thought the best path forward was to start Blake next year (with some O-Line help) and let a rookie QB sit at least 8 games if not a season before taking over. 

But now, I've just seen WAY too many easy third down conversions wasted by Blake's poor decisions or terrible accuracy.  Too many drives ended by flat out bad play from the QB position. So now I wonder if the Jags brass may feel the same way. 

Here are two examples of things that happen very routinely that I grabbed very quickly from the bills tape.

First - on third and 1 Bortles dumps for no gain when he's got a wide open TE 9 yards downfield as his option A on the rollout.  This is a play designed to help QBs by giving them two easy reads in one field of vision without having to look around. You've got a primary and a dump off. He screws it up. Punt follows. 
[Image: giphy.gif]

Second - Blake has Cole breaking to the inside across the numbers toward the hash and he throws the ball where Cole must stop and leap backward to attempt a catch. Ends in a pick.  He had time, and he had several other placement options to avoid the inside defender. He throws a virtually uncatchable ball that's tipped for a pick. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

These are by no means isolated examples. There are dozens of such bad throws and stupid decisions to document in the game film from the season. 

I get that he's been hobbled by the line and the receivers drop rates have been ugly, but there are too many of these plays where neither are the case and he screws it up on his own. 

I just don't know if trotting out number 5 is an option anymore even with a bolstered O-Line and another receiving threat added in. Sure it's possible, and I get it, but I wonder if he's broken that last straw.

By no means do i know the play call but simply looking at what you have given if you have ever played QB you can see that the throw to Cole was not that bad as ppl think and probably put in the right spot. I cant see more then what is shown but if i had to guess at it. The throw was thrown like cole was supposed to run a 10 and out he turned in planted then went out so the timing of the throw is off that is on BB or Cole it just depends on what route was called and how he was supposed to run it. I cant see how much presser was on BB so he might have been rushed. so it could be a bad pass or it could be a bad route run.

The 3rd and 1 play is easy he is moving the same way as the TE to hit him in stride he would have to lead him and the outside DB was sitting in zone on the 40 and would have either borken it up or taken it in for a pick 6. his only choice there is to dump it off. its matter of aerdynamics if he threw at the TE it would end up behind him and the safety coming up would have int it. if he threw it out far enough for the TE to run to it the outside DB would have broken it up or int it.

Just my opinions

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interview With Bortles About Benching - by JAGFAN88 - 11-29-2018, 12:29 PM