Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Interview With Bortles About Benching

(11-30-2018, 11:31 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 11:08 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Based on our history, I feel strongly that they don't want to draft a guy to start immediately. Especially if he isn't NFL ready. The last two times that has happened, look how it has turned out. If they sign or trade for a vet like Stafford who everyone wants, they will cut Blake and draft a QB. If they don't, they probably will still draft a QB and Blake will start until the rookie is ready. I seriously believe they are trying to stay away from playing the rookie day 1.

That sounds like a fine plan until you take the salary cap into account.  Who else are we cutting to pay Stafford and eat Blake's dead money?  Stafford on his current deal would have a cap number of $19 million next year in a Jags uni and Blake's dead money number is going to be between $10 and $16.5 million.  At the very least, the combined amount would be $29 million and probably more realistically like $32 million.   That number is not unfathomable, but you're probably cutting guys elsewhere that you weren't planning on to meet that cap hit at QB.  

This doesn't even take into account the Lions cap situation which if they trade or release Stafford would require them to take a $49 million dollar cap hit next year.  He's pretty much going to be a Lion for the next 2 years at least as a result of his deal.

That's why I feel like we will be staying in our same situation as well. Some throw out Flacco's name but buddy's contract is big as well. The harsh reality is that Blake may start next year. IMO I don't see a QB in college right now that can come in and start in the NFL. But hey, im no scout. Im no insider.

I do believe that Blake will be here next year and start if no viable vet QB is signed.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interview With Bortles About Benching - by Jay Carter 904 - 11-30-2018, 11:39 AM