Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
For Those Upset Caldwell and/or Marrone Weren't Fired

(12-31-2018, 09:53 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 09:40 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: This is a solid plan. I've been an advocate of getting Fitzpatrick for at least three years. We should have signed him when he got cut by the Jets. But isn't he under contract with the Bucs for 2019?

From everything I've read, the QB crop in this draft is mediocre. It would be better to wait a year. The problem with that is the Jags would still have to have another poor season to get a top QB in 2020, and we're slipping past our playoff window.

A new OC and DC are mandatory. We need a bright mind tuned to current NFL offensive strategy. Our defense under Wash has been OK, but I expect more from a defensive coordinator with Pro Bowl quality players at most positions. I have been impressed with Indy's DC. I believe McDaniels picked him before changing his mind about the head coaching job there. If so, maybe the Jags should change their mind, fire Marrone, and hire McDaniels.

Fitz has been around for a long time, and this year he played lights out for a while with Tampa.

The operative phrase is "while with Tampa."

The same Tampa that has Mike Evans and DeSean Jackson at WR, and OJ Howard at TE.  With Koetter/Monken calling the plays.

Koetter has since been fired, and we now have a n opening at OC.  Maybe we can get one of those guys to come here, and maybe we can get Fitz.

But those skill position guys?

Keep in mind, Fitz has been all over this QB desperate league and he has never stayed with any team for very long.

Is Fitz really the guy to whom you want to hitch this team's wagon if you are the GM?

Yes, Fitz is the guy. Show me a better option that’s actually possible.  Foles isn’t coming here. Eagles are happy he’s there and he’s about to make another playoff run with them. 
Who else is available?  Also consider that we don’t have any cap space. So even if there was a good FA qb out there, we don’t have the money to give him a bunch of money.

So yes, Fitzpatrick is the best option. Although he hasn’t been able to stick long term, he is better than Bortles, better than Gabbert, better than Kessler etc.  In fact I think he’s much better than those guys.  So just having him you are technically improved at the most important position. With good health and a good off season generally, we could make another playoff run with fitz.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Messages In This Thread
RE: For Those Upset Caldwell and/or Marrone Weren't Fired - by SuperJville - 12-31-2018, 10:01 AM