Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
For Those Upset Caldwell and/or Marrone Weren't Fired

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 10:58 AM by Bullseye.)

(01-09-2019, 10:12 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 09:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Now that we know the front office triumvirate of Coughlin Caldwell and Marrone are slated to return to try to get this team back on a winning track, it is understandable and predictable that many are upset with the decision.

Knowing your bloodlust will not be sated with their jobs this year, what steps would you take to return this team to the playoffs in 2019?

Specifically:

1.  Knowing we are picking 7th in the draft, how would you address the QB situation?  Would you go strictly with a veteran QB?  If so, who?  Would you be willing[url=https://www.duvalpride.com/newreply.php?tid=29650&replyto=1182293][/url] to trade for a vet?  What are you willing to give up to get him?  Would you obtain a veteran QB to be a placeholder and draft a rookie QB?  If so, which veteran and which rookie?  Do you go specifically and primarily with a rookie signal caller?  At what point in the draft do you draft a QB?  Why?  Are you willing to trade up to get him?  If so, how far up are you willing to deal, and what are you willing to give up to get him?

i would wait and pick a QB in rd two if grier is available or someone with good arm strength and accuracy.  Dont know too much about this class besides its weak and everyone i liked in the past 2 drafts at QB have looked good.  I would take the OT Jonah Williams at 7 if available and replace parnell with either Cam moving over to the right or Jonah.....Still upset because im reminded by a KC fan at work everyday about Mahomes because he knew i wanted him and Baker Mayfield is making me look good still till this day.

2.  I have argued the main thing that sabotaged the team this year was injuries, specifically to the offensive line.  NYCJags has argued (not calling him out) the team did not provide sufficient depth along the OL to withstand the carnage to the team we saw this past season.  I believe there is some merit to that argument.  What would you do to fix the OL going into next season?  Keep in mind, Parnell is likely to be gone, and Cann is a free agent.  So you must come out of this offseason with no fewer than two starting caliber OL, and that's not even considering the depth requirements.  Also be mindful of the team's salary cap situation and the need for at least one, maybe two signal callers.  How do you re-stock and upgrade the offensive line and depth?  How many draft picks do you allocate to this area?  Which players would you like to see?  What about the players not leaving but returning from injury like Cam Robinson, Norwell and Linder? 

The left side of the OL is decent but RG and RT need to be addressed and should have been last offseason.  Caldwell needs to go for that alone because we are literally asking the same exact questions as last yr.

3.  What about replacements for departing defensive players like Malik Jackson and Barry Church?  Do you allocate any picks to the defensive side of the ball?  Do you think we have sufficient depth there?  Bryan and Ronnie are decent and we need to trade or cut Malik whichever is cheapest.   We do need another DT for depth tho and either keep wilson for backup SS or go FA.

4.  What about WR and TE?  It seems like it's been forever since we've had a guy who can command a defense's attention from the Y position, and almost as long since we've had a true stud # 1 WR.   How much attention do you give those positions?  Do you put off adequately stocking those positions in the hunt for a QB and stockpiling OL depth and starters?  Still no true #1 same as last offseason and no receiving TE threat.  GET ONE IN THE DRAFT OR FA FOR THE 2ND YEAR IN A ROW.

5.  What do you do at RB?  Do you keep or dump Fournette?  If you desire to trade him away, what is the minimum amount you would take for him in trade?  Do you replace him with Kareem Hunt or allocate a draft pick to replace him?  What about Yeldon's and Grant's replacements? Hate me, but i'll trade fournette to get a playmaker on offense at either TE or WR.....with my minimum being a True Number 1 under 30 or a 1st rounder with a 2nd from us included with fournette. 
RBs can be picked up via the draft and i wanted mixon anyways but politics.  On that note still happy about DEDE but mad we took one women beater and not both.

1.  If this QB class is weak, what makes you think there will be a QB in round 2 that will be worth drafting.  QBs with strong and accurate arms tend to be off the board in the second round.  When guys fall, there are usually some sort of concern.  With Montana, Brees and Russell Wilson fell to the 2nd round and below, there were concerns about their size.  When Brett Favre fell to the 2nd round in 1991, he fell because of injuries sustained in an automobile accident, which required removal of some of his intestines.  http://www.thepostgame.com/brett-favre-s...cident-dui.  See also:  https://www.clarionledger.com/story/spor.../92472748/.  Considering the Patriots, Chargers, Raiders, and Packers all have late round picks, QBs in their late 30's or early 40s and no real prospects to groom behind their starters, a guy like Grier could easily be snapped up before our pick in the 2nd.  Does Williams' performance in the championship game give you pause about your alternative to QB pick in the first round?   Cam has never played RT.  If Williams' power is a problem, it could impact his ability to play LT effectively (as we learned from Joeckel), to say nothing of RT (which is much more of a power position).

2.  Last offseason we were coming off a season where we led the league in rushing and registered a league and franchise low 24 sacks.  While you could make the argument we should have drafted Hernandez (a guy I wanted), OL was not exactly a crying need based upon the team's performance in 2017.  These weren't exactly the same questions we were asking last year.

3.  Harrison can be presumed to be decent or better.  Bryan?  What has he done to date to warrant that?  Maybe he develops into that player, and certainly it is the FO's hope he does, but I don't think he is an upgrade or even swap with Malik Jackson or even Abry Jones at this point.

4.  So where in the draft are you going to get this "true #1?"  You've allocated the first rounder to QB or OL and the 2nd rounder to QB.  Wile guys like Terrell Owens, John Taylor and Hines Ward were found in the 3rd round or later, they didn't have to be #1 WRs out of the box.  They had to develop into those guys.  T.O and John Taylor had a guy named Jerry Rice as the #1.  As for free agency, what stud #1 will be available and affordable, given our cap situation?  Do you sign the FA WR at the expense of a veteran QB?  Do you go into next season with the rookie as the unquestioned starter?  What if he isn't ready to assume that role?  Do you waste what would still be a very good defense with an inexperienced QB taken from a "weak" QB class?

5.  You do realize that you would have a relatively small market for a power back like Fournette, don't you?  The tacks already have Henry, and they wouldn't trade within the division (neither would we).  Dallas already has Ezekiel Elliott, and was hard up enough for WR they traded this year's first round pick for Amari Cooper.  The Steelers have traditionally used power backs and they have a #1 WR that looks more expendable.  Several problems with this scenario.  1.  Both the Jaguars and the Steelers are looking to get rid of toxic locker room presences.  The only thing this trade would accomplish from that perspective is swap one (Fournette) for another (Brown).  2. James Connor looked pretty good in LeVeon Bell's absence, and he is a lot cheaper than Fournette would be.  3.  Brown is 30 years old and would soon be on the decline.  Furthermore, his deal would be cost prohibitive.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Messages In This Thread
RE: For Those Upset Caldwell and/or Marrone Weren't Fired - by Bullseye - 01-09-2019, 10:58 AM