Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
For Those Upset Caldwell and/or Marrone Weren't Fired

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 11:57 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(01-09-2019, 10:58 AM)Bullseye Wrote: 1.  If this QB class is weak, what makes you think there will be a QB in round 2 that will be worth drafting.  QBs with strong and accurate arms tend to be off the board in the second round.  When guys fall, there are usually some sort of concern.  With Montana, Brees and Russell Wilson fell to the 2nd round and below, there were concerns about their size.  When Brett Favre fell to the 2nd round in 1991, he fell because of injuries sustained in an automobile accident, which required removal of some of his intestines.  http://www.thepostgame.com/brett-favre-s...cident-dui.  See also:  https://www.clarionledger.com/story/spor.../92472748/.  Considering the Patriots, Chargers, Raiders, and Packers all have late round picks, QBs in their late 30's or early 40s and no real prospects to groom behind their starters, a guy like Grier could easily be snapped up before our pick in the 2nd.  Does Williams' performance in the championship game give you pause about your alternative to QB pick in the first round?   Cam has never played RT.  If Williams' power is a problem, it could impact his ability to play LT effectively (as we learned from Joeckel), to say nothing of RT (which is much more of a power position).  Honestly, i really wouldnt draft a QB to be a starter right away because i dont believe in any in this class like that.  I like Grier because he has been decent during his college career but just feel last year was the QB year for us.  I would pick up OL, WR, and TE in this draft as all top priorities and take care of the QB situation in FA.  Noone is going to be the Franchise this offseason and we need a better back up than cody and a better starter than blake.  I'd move BB5 to backup if a vet does better in training camp an wait for the franchise in a futuer draft.  

As far as Jonah, i see your point.  I thought richardson was the future replacement for Parnell but havent heard too much about his development this past year to see if he is in the works or just depth for the long term.  I just feel really concerned about the right side but they have been serviceable up til this point, barring no injuries.   I just know we have no depth again and i also wanted hernandez and remember tweeting about it during the late first @ the Jaguars and saw him get swept up.  I also wanted hurst or geseki(think thats the wrong spelling) and the other tight end the ravens got.  We picked none and i just scratched my head.

2.  Last offseason we were coming off a season where we led the league in rushing and registered a league and franchise low 24 sacks.  While you could make the argument we should have drafted Hernandez (a guy I wanted), OL was not exactly a crying need based upon the team's performance in 2017.  These weren't exactly the same questions we were asking last year.

3.  Harrison can be presumed to be decent or better.  Bryan?  What has he done to date to warrant that?  Maybe he develops into that player, and certainly it is the FO's hope he does, but I don't think he is an upgrade or even swap with Malik Jackson or even Abry Jones at this point.  Bryan isnt a replacement as far as production but i feel since we need to build up the offense then malik is too much of a cap hit to keep.  we already have an aging dareus and campbell who should be gone in 2 to 3 years so we can draft depth or a better starter as the years progress.  Dont know who is cap friendly in FA this year so maybe draft one in the mid rounds.

4.  So where in the draft are you going to get this "true #1?"  You've allocated the first rounder to QB or OL and the 2nd rounder to QB.  Wile guys like Terrell Owens, John Taylor and Hines Ward were found in the 3rd round or later, they didn't have to be #1 WRs out of the box.  They had to develop into those guys.  T.O and John Taylor had a guy named Jerry Rice as the #1.  As for free agency, what stud #1 will be available and affordable, given our cap situation?  Do you sign the FA WR at the expense of a veteran QB?  Do you go into next season with the rookie as the unquestioned starter?  What if he isn't ready to assume that role?  Do you waste what would still be a very good defense with an inexperienced QB taken from a "weak" QB class?  If i had a taker, i would sacrifice a second plus fournette to grab another first and get brown or metcalf to groom.  Oak has 3 and we could hopefully fleece one but probably not.  i can dream right.

5.  You do realize that you would have a relatively small market for a power back like Fournette, don't you?  The tacks already have Henry, and they wouldn't trade within the division (neither would we).  Dallas already has Ezekiel Elliott, and was hard up enough for WR they traded this year's first round pick for Amari Cooper.  The Steelers have traditionally used power backs and they have a #1 WR that looks more expendable.  Several problems with this scenario.  1.  Both the Jaguars and the Steelers are looking to get rid of toxic locker room presences.  The only thing this trade would accomplish from that perspective is swap one (Fournette) for another (Brown).  2. James Connor looked pretty good in LeVeon Bell's absence, and he is a lot cheaper than Fournette would be.  3.  Brown is 30 years old and would soon be on the decline.  Furthermore, his deal would be cost prohibitive.  You should've been in the discussion at work yesterday because we were talking about this with a die hard steelers fan who's upset.  Trading fournette and maybe a DT or TGip for Antonio and getting bell via FA.  That way we free up some cap room and can solidify our WR1 and RB position for a good while, and also turning focus to the QB, OL, and TE position primarily.  I like Abry so i feel Him, Dareus, and Bryan will be ok for now while picking up another via the Draft or FA for added depth.  It may not be an immediate fix but i think it will be a hell of alot better than what we have now.  Again, i can dream right.

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

Messages In This Thread
RE: For Those Upset Caldwell and/or Marrone Weren't Fired - by JagsFansince1995 - 01-09-2019, 11:56 AM