Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What is the middle ground between single payer and private insurance?

(01-30-2019, 08:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 12:16 AM)Last42min Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as  you have the condition diagnosed prior to losing your healthcare, it should be able to transfer. Pre-existing conditions is a way of making sure people don't only sign up for health insurance once they need it. It shouldn't be a tool used by insurers to keep from paying what they should. The theory is that by having that as a risk, people will pay for insurance while they are healthy, which will allow the insurance companies to profit and/or build up a savings for the unhealthy years.

I wouldn't speak poorly of your situation; it sucks you are dealing with that. However, the goal is to keep people on insurance. Pre-existing conditions should not disqualify you from being insured as long as you keep an active policy (or within a few months of it expiring). Without a pre-existing conditions clause, how do you keep people from signing up only when they need it? If you have a better solution, I am all for it. I just haven't thought of one.

The goal isn't to keep people insured, the goal is to create the conditions for a free market. The question is not the middle ground between today and total government control as the title suggests, the question is how do we free the market to best serve everyone. Do that and we dont have to worry about keeping people on insurance, which isn't attainable anyway.

This is what I was attempting with my proposal. When I say the goal is to keep people insured, I mean simply that is the best conditions for insurance companies to thrive in the free market. Companies need years of insurance coverage with good health to mitigate years of bad health. Money doesn't grow on trees. The pre-existing conditions clause prevents people from signing up for insurance after they find out something bad has happened to them, but if insurance is cheap enough, the risk of being uninsured should be enough to encourage people to buy insurance before they need it. Like I said, I am not tied to the idea, but I haven't heard of anything better.

Under the system I proposed, health insurance should mirror car insurance. This is affordable. The stipend helps cover it. There should be little to no excuse for someone not to stay insured. If they get a pre-existing condition, they would go on medicare, just like what happens currently. 

My proposal would save nearly 200 billion from medicaid, encourage free market participation from doctors, hospitals, and insurance companies, and would keep medicare the same.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the middle ground between single payer and private insurance? - by Lucky2Last - 01-30-2019, 04:23 PM