Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
John Roberts Joins Liberal Justices in Ruling on Louisiana Abortion Law

(02-10-2019, 05:10 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-10-2019, 03:12 PM)pirkster Wrote: Fascism is an authoritarian trait, which is by definition on the far left end of the scale.

The far right end of the scale is the exact opposite - unbound individual freedom with no control whatsoever.  Anarchy.

Wherever you go that idea from, was mistaken.

Which is why the left using it to describe the right is so ridiculous.  At the extremes, left is total control and domination of the people by one.  You can see that in the endgame of today's Democrats, they don't even try to hide it anymore.  Ideas that lead to that path are mainstream today.  Extreme right is the absence of any control whatsoever over the people.  You don't see that in the Republican party today.  Libertarian and Tea Party ideologies lean this direction, but they aren't philosophies that have any broad engagement or underlie any platforms of the Republican party.  Today, the Republican party is mostly a watered down version of the Democrats.

Anarchy actually doesn't fall on the spectrum. It's a state of no government and a belief that governments are unnecessary. That's neither left nor right. It's the default state until someone identifies themselves on the spectrum.

And yes, fascism and nationalism are on the far right end of the scale. Dude, I spent 20 years of my life studying political theory, from grade school straight through college. I have the horseshoe scale measured backwards and forwards and I can tell you why any particular ideology lands where it does. You are not winning this one.

How do you get fascism as far right?  The right that I know is not close to wanting total control by the government.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Messages In This Thread
RE: John Roberts Joins Liberal Justices in Ruling on Louisiana Abortion Law - by copycat - 02-11-2019, 11:01 AM