Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Franchise Building Philosophy Questions

(04-23-2019, 05:05 PM)MY ANSWERS IN BOLD Bullseye Wrote: Reading the board, I have seen numerous statements displaying not mere apprehension but abject terror over the prospects of signing Ramsey, Ngakoue and/or Jack to a second contract.

I always thought that once you drafted a great player, you should do whatever it takes to retain that player, especially if:

• He is young 
  • healthy IN JACK'S CASE THE KNEE HAS HELD UP AND JAGS GOT SOME QUALITY YEARS, LET SOME OTHER TEAM DEAL WITH THE RISK NOW
  • at a premium position IN JACK'S CASE IT'S NOT A PREMIUM POSITION
  • so far decent character
But judging on the reactions I've seen, people are willing to at least deal Ramsey, and I suspect as contract negotiations between the team and Ngakoue heat up, calls to trade him will soon appear on the board.

Serious questions:

1.  Is it better to draft average players who won't command second contracts as opposed to drafting great players who will? THE PATRIOTS ARE FINE WITH LETTING PREMIUM PLAYERS TEST THE WATERS. YANNICK IS A TOP-15 PASS RUSHER WITH SOME ROOM FOR GROWTH, BUT HE'S STILL VERY MUCH IN THE PROVE-IT PHASE. DON'T PAY HIM VON MILLER MONEY IF HE'S SEEKING THAT. RAMSEY IS THE ONLY ONE OF THE TRIO WORTH BREAKING THE BANK FOR, BUT IF A #3 DRAFT PICK + HAM SANDWICH CAN BE SECURED FOR A MUCH CHEAPER BLUE CHIP PLAYER RENTAL FOR FIVE YEARS, YOU TAKE IT. 

2.    Should our coaches not develop players to make the otherwise average good players, and otherwise good players into great players to avoid second contracts? NO, SHOULD BE ON A CASE-BY-CASE BASIS 

3.  Would it be better to sign veteran free agents old enough to not command another contract from the team? NO

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Messages In This Thread
RE: Franchise Building Philosophy Questions - by TheDogCatcher - 04-23-2019, 05:29 PM