Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Franchise Building Philosophy Questions

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2019, 07:12 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(04-23-2019, 05:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Reading the board, I have seen numerous statements displaying not mere apprehension but abject terror over the prospects of signing Ramsey, Ngakoue and/or Jack to a second contract.

I always thought that once you drafted a great player, you should do whatever it takes to retain that player, especially if:

• He is young
  • healthy
  • at a premium position
  • so far decent character
But judging on the reactions I've seen, people are willing to at least deal Ramsey, and I suspect as contract negotiations between the team and Ngakoue heat up, calls to trade him will soon appear on the board.

I compare Ramsey to Darrell Revis who will ultimately be looking for the best deal to be the highest paid CB or Defensive Player in the NFL.  If you keep Ramsey, then you need to let good players go like Nagakoue and Jack once their rookie contracts are up.  Heck, one of he best things the Jags have ever done was let Boselli and Brunell go after Coughlin got into cap-hell trying to retain their core group of players.

My question to you is the following:  Would you re-sign Ramsey for 6 years $200m with a $140m guarantee because by the time 2022 hits, that may be his price.  Bottom line, we still have him for 2 years + 1 year franchise tag but by that time, he will likely be a cancer like L. Bell and A. Brown up in the Burgh.  Right now, Kahlil Mack is on a 6-year Contract @ $141m with $90m in guarantees.

Also, please note as the Cap goes up, so do our ticket prices, so personally speaking, my personal contract with the NFL (attendance loyalty) will need to be re-evaluated on an annual basis as well.  A salary cap explosion under the new CBA will likely put an end to a lot of us. I can only imagine the NFL going to a 45,000 seat stadium in the future and having everything catered to Corp America.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Franchise Building Philosophy Questions - by HURRICANE!!! - 04-23-2019, 06:55 PM