Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Franchise Building Philosophy Questions

(04-23-2019, 06:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 05:08 PM)Dimson Wrote: Always draft and re-sign great players wherever possible. If you can't resign them trade them or let them walk and recoup the puck via a compensatory pick. Never enter the draft to pick average players.

(Emphasis added)

While I don't want to put you int he position of answering for other posters, the highlighted point raises the question of why so many want to avoid contract negotiations for Ramsey and Ngakoue altogether.

Another general question:  Should there be an absolute bar on signing draft picks to second contracts?  Should the most any one player play for this team be no longer than five years?

(04-23-2019, 05:25 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1.  So far, based upon the limited responses, everyone seems in favor of drafting great players, but nobody seems inclined to reward great players for great play.

2.  I get that, but my question was within the context of avoiding expensive, second contracts.  Should coaches cut back on coaching and player development for the sole purpose of suppressing the market for players?

I am in the opposite camp then I suppose. When you enter any draft I was under the impression that the mindset should be gaining as much great talent that you can possibly get your hands on. I love the draft process. Big fan of what the Steelers did in the 1970's as well as what the 49ERS did in the 1980's. And of course we all know about Jimmy Johnson's legendary trade with the Vikings but between what he did between 1989 - 1991 is off the charts. 

What Caldwell did in 2016 is ideal. To land players like Ramsey, Jack & Ngakoue in that order is outstanding. I don't think we've seen that happen in Jacksonville before. Even under Coughlin. The guy literally hit at each position for each level of defense between CB, DE & LB. That's impressive. Of course we would ALL love to see him pull that off again. Who wouldn't?

But as far as your 2nd question? Coaches should coach. Some players need a lot of hands on mentoring and some players don't. It's a case by case deal. But if you've got a great talent on your roster that makes splash plays or consistently gets the job done? Do what have you to do to keep them on the roster. It makes a coach's job easier for sure.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Franchise Building Philosophy Questions - by Caldrac - 04-24-2019, 01:09 PM