Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Experts Were Wrong: First Quarter Growth Hits 3.1 Percent

(06-04-2019, 02:28 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 12:00 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Tariffs may hurt Q2 growth, but it is a necessity that needs to be done. No other foreseeable future president is going to stand up for the trade imbalance we have been getting hosed on for decades.

It is truly a shame that this is a partisan issue.

Yes and no.  On one hand I like the fact that President Trump is "playing hardball" with China regarding trade between the two countries.  However in the short term it has at least partially impacted the stock market recently.  It also is causing future higher prices (possibly) to consumers and tough times for some of our farmers.  Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing more than a bit of "short term pain" and a reasonable trade agreement can be made between the two countries.

Regarding the tariff threat to Mexico, that again is kind of a "yes and no" thing for me.  On the one hand it is forcing Mexico to come to the table regarding the illegal immigration crisis.  On the other hand it's not really what trade policy should be used for.  The other thing to keep in mind is that tariffs on goods coming from Mexico will impact a lot of industries and ultimately the consumer.  With that being said it was pretty much all that he could do since the Congress refuses to address the immigration crisis and instead wastes our taxpayer's money on endless and useless "investigations", hearings, etc..  The other thing to keep in mind is if the tariffs increase up to the 25% cap that is being talked about, then perhaps companies will bring manufacturing jobs back to the U.S..

All of this.

Let me add that both China and Mexico have a lot more to lose. I fully expect these to yield positive results.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Experts Were Wrong: First Quarter Growth Hits 3.1 Percent - by MalabarJag - 06-04-2019, 05:19 PM