Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NY Times sinks to a new low... (I thought they couldn't get any lower)

(07-13-2021, 09:03 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Dude. You think I don't understand libertarianism? There are all kinds of variants within the libertarian movement, and like most ideologies, some are more reasonable than others. You seem to be on the more extreme end, hence why I call you a radical libertarian. You know... the guys who have found Truth with a capital T.

Enlighten me. What is freedom?

This is true. I was surprised at how many there are. A progressive libertarian? Yep. A social libertarian? Check. It gets pretty weird when you really look into it. 

I am a libertarian who believes in less government (smaller? Less overreach), less regulations, fewer taxes, etc., but I am fully aware of the reality we live in where people in general, especially the younger ones coming up, lack the mindset it takes to police or govern themselves as individuals much less in communities. Common courtesy, common sense, initiative to do & get things done, responsibility, and all the other things that make up the mindset are just not there. Or rather, they are diminishing with each successive generation. 

This is due to the culture of the day, some due to parenting styles (or lack of parenting,) influencers across social media platforms, big tech, MSM, politics, religion, the apparent worship of the entertainment industry, etc. Too much focus on the individual in a narcissistic way, not in a "what can I do to make a difference?" or, an "I can get this done" way. 

There was no internet when I was a kid. The first time I ever saw a computer "go online" I was 25 years old and didn't have it in my house on the regular until I moved back from Germany when I was in my early-mid 30s. The only way you knew what was going on in the entertainment industry was on shows like Entertainment Tonight or Inside Edition and magazines like Rolling Stone, Entertainment Weekly, Teen Beat, and so on. The three major networks and the newspaper was our source of news. We weren't overloaded with information, the majority of which we don't even need. We still had to and could think for ourselves. Now everyone has "smart" things to think for them; influencers in media, news and politics telling them what to think; big tech (and everyone else) advertising to the masses telling them what they need. 

None of that spells FREEDOM to me. And because of the things I touched on above there has to be laws, government, policing and regulations beyond what I prefer. Otherwise SHTF scenarios would be worse than they already are.

Messages In This Thread
RE: NY Times sinks to a new low... (I thought they couldn't get any lower) - by americus 2.0 - 07-13-2021, 04:10 PM