Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Songs that should have been on the radio but never were

(06-09-2022, 08:48 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-08-2022, 09:41 PM)EricC85 Wrote: How do you guys find music that's not on the radio? Honest question I only hear what's on the radio or every once in a while I hear a song on some video and look it up. That's how I found Cody Jinx and some other country artist.

I listen to a lot of genres that don't get radio airplay (all styles of metal, electronica, punk).

It helps to have friends with similar interests. Use any of the music apps out there and the algorithms will likely point you to something you've not heard before. Visit websites or follow record labels who put out music from bands you like. Chances are they have other sub-labels or bands on the label that you've not heard before. Go to shows, and check out the opening acts.

The caveat is that if your thing is stadium rock, you're likely only gonna find GNR, Metallica, ACDC and stuff like that; Don't be afraid to push the envelope out of a comfort zone, you might end up landing on a new favorite artist.

I've found Plush and Bloodywood just watching youtube videos. Two new, up-and-coming acts that aren't getting a lot of airtime. Finding online stations that play bands I like (Amorphis) I ended up finding Grima and Pathway, which led to Igorrr.

I had a friend who ran a local (college) band site. Learned a lot about nearby acts, but also because I dug his band and a lot of the ones he was recommending, he introduced me to At the Drive-In, Dismemberment Plan as bigger acts, but also the local flavor like Jive Turkeys, Porous. Another friend introduced me to Volbeat, and they're now one of my go-to listens. I'd have never heard of the Silver Apples if I didn't discuss psychadelic rock with a friend in college.

When NIN came out, I started checking out everything Nothing records was producing.  Found Squarepusher that way.
Went to go see Overkill in high school. Some band from Kansas (Stick) opened for them and their CD is still in heavy rotation.

Yeah Stick sounds like they would have fit in on the radio in 1993.  Just didn't have one of the big boys on their side I guess.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Songs that should have been on the radio but never were - by mikesez - 06-09-2022, 07:53 PM