Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Acceptable sack number for Travon Walker assuming he starts most of the year?

(08-06-2022, 10:34 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 09:42 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Look at where the team was when Caldwell took over.  The team had so many different needs and so few draft picks, he couldn't help but to pass up a great player, irrespective of position.  In 1989, Dallas drafted Troy Aikman-a great player.  In doing so, they passed up on great players Derrick Thomas, Barry Sanders, and Deion Sanders. Did that mean they didn't think those were great players?  Did that mean they weren't capable of identifying great platers?   Passing up on several great WRs in the absence of a larger context is not conclusive of anything.

1.  As for not giving credit for Hurns, keep in mind that Caldwell never had to pursue/sign Hurns as an UDFA.  He could have prusued and signed any number of less talented players.  Furthermore, Hurns was better than just about all of the receivers who the team actually drafted.  Yes, he deserves credit for Hurns.  But even assumng you don't give credit for Hurns, it still doesn't make the case this team has proven itself capable of drafting quality WRs outside of Caldwell.

2.  For the purposes of this discussion, I am not advancing the theory that Caldwell was any good.  I am advancing the theory that it's not as easy for this organization to draft a quality WR as you assert.  If you completely remove Caldwell from the occasion, or reflexively put Caldwell's picks in the worst possible light, this franchise has not otherwise proven competent at identifying talent at the WR position.

3.  There are so many internal contradictions in your argument here I'm not sure what to make of it.  You say the Jaguars' past at drafting WR is irrelevant to you, yet two sentences later, go into this litany of bypassed WRs under Caldwell.  Furthermore, if all you are talking about is the present and future, it still doesn't establish how this team is able to surpass the team's ability to draft a WR under Caldwell.  Having a bunch of WRs come into the league is moot if the team is unable to identify those players or otherwise unwilling to draft them when they can.  Looking from the present forward, Baalke is this team's GM.  Did he draft any WRs during his two year tenure as GM here?  Is there any indication he is able to identify quality WRs going forward?

1. No I'm not giving Dave any credit for getting him as a UDFA.  Hurns chose to come here because he knew the WR position was weak and that he would make the team, he could of went to any team.

2.  I don't really care about the previous regime's before Caldwell or what they done.  I'm saying I think Baalke will do better than Dave.  I think Baalke has improved as a GM since his time in SF.

3. It's irrelevant to me what happened to me before DC.  I'm saying I think we can do better than what Dave did at WR in the next 5 years.  I'm glad Baalke didn't take a WR tough just to take  when Lloyd was there to trade up for.  When a WR falls to us I can see Baalke and Doug pulling the trigger

Link?  Any proof at all?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Acceptable sack number for Travon Walker assuming he starts most of the year? - by RicoTx - 08-06-2022, 01:56 PM