Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Random League Topic 1: Jack Del Rio

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2022, 05:42 PM by Talented Kalamari. Edited 2 times in total.)

Hey guys, I decided that in lieu of Jags football, I'm gonna start up a series called "Random League Topics" in this thread. Here I'm going to be talking about random figures in the NFL that don't necessarily have anything to do with current events, but may be interesting to discuss (I probably won't do another one until next off-season, but I digress). For my first topic, I wanted to discuss the interesting coaching career former Jaguars coach, and the 2nd in franchise history, Jack Del Rio. 

His coaching career started in New Orleans as an assistant in the late 90's. He then ascended to linebackers coach for that legendary early 2000's squad in Baltimore. Carolina came knocking soon after to make him their Defensive Coordinator in 2002, and then after that came his stint from 2003 to 2011 as the Jags head coach after we canned Coughlin (The first go-around). He's then hired in 2012 by the Broncos as Defensive Coordinator, and in my opinion was an integral part of the development of that teams soon-to-be elite defense. He gets another shot at Head Coach when the Raiders offered him the gig in 2015. I personally thought this was a great hire. They made the playoffs 1 out of his 3 years as head ball coach. This is where it gets interesting. 
The Raiders offer him an extension, and he accepts. Then, after the regular season finale, he's canned after a blowout loss to the Chargers. It's soon reported afterwards that Jon Gruden is going to be the next head coach of the Raiders for the second time around, and he's getting $100M guaranteed for 10 seasons. Jack Del Rio takes a few years off, and re-surfaces as the Defensive coordinator of the Commanders, joining Rivera's staff, where things have been relatively quiet for him, with the exception of some slightly controversial comments recently.

Here's why I chose this topic: I think that Jack Del Rio is a good head coach, and I think he was totally screwed over by the Raiders. They may have underwhelmed in his final season, but 6-10 certainly isn't abysmal. You can also definitely blame a lack of offensive talent on that team as a culprit as well. I don't think Del Rio is top tier, but I believe he deserves another shot as HC. He had some brief controversy recently about some comments about the white house riots, but in my opinion that was totally taken out of context. 

I'll say this. If I'm a built NFL team that needs a coach, I'm interviewing Del Rio. I think he has the experience and potential to still win plenty of games. What do you guys think? Do you think he ever coaches again? Would love to hear ya'lls thoughts.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
Random League Topic 1: Jack Del Rio - by Talented Kalamari - 08-09-2022, 12:33 PM
RE: Random League Topic 1: Jack Del Rio - by Kane - 08-11-2022, 07:47 PM